looking for a concept artist to hire

Discussion in 'Commercial Work' started by funnyMonkey, Apr 13, 2012.

1. funnyMonkey

funnyMonkey

hello im looking for a concept artist to hire for a job. I will need to see some work that you have done before. please pm or email me with your rate and some example work.
    email: evolve.taylor@gmail.com
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. funnyMonkey

funnyMonkey

is that really a big deal i just dont want to get ripped off
  3. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

any real artist will require 50% upfront, and 50% upon completion unless its a reputable company. at least In my experience, this approach has never did me wrong and insured I received payment and the client received their product everyone goes their separate way happy. I damn sure won't waste my time if there is no garauntee of payment either through upfront escrow (if available) or, through contract, which I always try to enforce. protects both parties legally.\

in agreement with koyima I'd advise not to send emails to this guy. if you do decide to email, watermark you picture, and enforce copyright acknowledgement.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. funnyMonkey

funnyMonkey

50% upfront and 50% upon completion is a good idea i will accept that also the contract is a good idea, but im not sure where to get one i dont have that big of a budget to hire a lawyer to write one so where can i find a place to help me create my own?

also i agree with the watermark if anyone does any work for me or anyone else please do watermark till they or I pay i think thats a really good way to protect yourself.

Also note im just trying to keep myself protected and not lose money that i need to finish my game. I have a limited budget so if i lose any it would be hard for me to get everything i need. i will do anything i can to protect both sides.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  5. funnyMonkey

funnyMonkey

I am willing to use escrow but iv never even heard about that so im going to look it up now

is this what you are talking about https://www.escrow.com/index.asp?
  6. Lypheus

Lypheus

I'm working with a few of the best off these forums and having no problems with paying on delivery. Now in my case, I've been around a bit and anyone who's worked with me knows they will always get paid and promptly - but still you should not have any problem requiring a render of the model(s) before paying out.

Comes down to trust - try hooking up with a few folks on really small jobs - be sure they produce something clean and professional to your liking and are willing to work with you a bit if there are some changes you'd like. You'll probably find most just never complete the work, produce something you're not happy with, are unwilling to work with you on it, etc.... but there will be a couple that impress you. Those are the ones to keep on with, drop the rest. Cost me a bit to get started like this but I have a few really good folks I'm working with as my project progresses and have zero issues - great work, great advice and these days they just send me the models as they are being built so I'm able to integrate with the project and test for feedback before the textures are even in place.

My advice : Don't bother posting public questions like this - find some samples from folks off of the u3d forums, polygun, deviantart, etc... and ask them for quotes/thoughts on one aspect of your project. Get about 6-8 responses and go from there. It seems to "cost lots" to have that many lines out there, but when you find someone whos able to do your level for $400 vs $1k+ - all of a sudden you'll realise just how valuable a solid/reasonable resource really is.
  7. Lypheus

Lypheus

No, it's because I had to request and pay for work from various sources, before finding the right people - from my experience and the success i've had, the Unity forums are an excellent resource for finding good talent. It should be obvious, but in order to locate good modellers/animators/etc... who are familiar with the particular quirks of Unity3D - the Unity3D forums are a good place to look :).