Search Unity

LobbyPlayer to GamePlayer NetworkLobbyManager

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ahkilleux, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Ahkilleux

Ahkilleux

I hope this helps someone.

OnLobbyServerSceneLoadedForPlayer not getting called?

OnLobbyServerCreateGamePlayer not getting called?

public override bool OnLobbyServerSceneLoadedForPlayer(GameObject lobbyPlayer, GameObject gamePlayer)

..and..

public override GameObject OnLobbyServerCreateGamePlayer (NetworkConnection conn, short playerControllerId)

..do absolutely nothing for you if your lobby player object is set to be destroyed on scene load. NetworkLobbyManager is set this way by default. I made the assumption that it held an internal reference to any networklobbyplayer instances it spawned. That assumption cost me hours of digging through forums and documentation and trial and error trying to find out why my gameplayer object was never being created when the main game scene loaded.

Make sure to add one of these

void Awake() {
    DontDestroyOnLoad(transform.gameObject);
    }

to your NetworkLobbyPlayer subclass.

And if anyone from Unity is listening in. Maybe an extra bullet point here http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UNetLobby.html ?

2. onecrazysim

onecrazysim

It helped me, thanks, same scenario happened in 5.3.1fp2

3. thomak-dev

thomak-dev

My LobbyPlayer had a Start method defined. Thanks to this thread and the UNET source code I then found out that my Start method hid the NetworkLobbyPlayer Start method where Unity does the DontDestroyOnLoad.

Maybe Unity should make the Start method virtual so we can actually see that we are hiding something? Or removing all magic methods altogether?

Deleted User likes this.
  4. OlliQueck

OlliQueck

damn, thank you very much, i had his problem for months now and i was close to stepping back from unet

5. Jtoomer

Jtoomer

I wasted almost 8 hours due to not knowing this. Multiplayer networking is hard enough without having a missing piece of the puzzle like this.

mcbauer likes this.
  6. dinoelzik

dinoelzik

Thanks dude, it helped me a lot.
    I've spent so much time for debugging before found this post.

7. greeneninjagames

greeneninjagames

Adding +1 to the suggestion that Start() should be virtual so we know we're covering up needed logic.

8. EddyDavila

EddyDavila

Make sure to add one of these

void Awake() {
    DontDestroyOnLoad(transform.gameObject);
    }

to your NetworkLobbyPlayer subclass.

And if anyone from Unity is listening in. Maybe an extra bullet point here http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UNetLobby.html ?[/QUOTE]
    THANK YOU!

9. ariszis

ariszis