Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lobby chat - player list (scroll list performance issues)

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Simon_says, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Simon_says

Simon_says

How would one make a player list for a lobby chat? It would have a lot of players online(and offline friends) where 1 player is 1 item on the list. I have tried to make a dynamic scroll list(created at runtime), but if there was more than 100 items I started to experience performance issues, not to mention having a list of 1000+ players.

Also, I would want to have tabs on this lobby chat, like ONLINE people and FRIENDS which would both be producing it's own lists. Does that mean whenever I click on one of those tabs, the list gets recreated? Wondering if there's a workaround in this because the list repopulation is also very hard on the performance.

Basically each of the items on the list should be interactable(click -> open context menu -> add as friend / join game / private chat). By lobby chat in here I mean just the player list, with a search option if possible(which would dynamically show matching player names).

In short, I know how to make a scroll list, but it's too heavy on performance if having many items on it, so does anyone have a solution for it not be so hard or something other than having a scroll list but works like I have described above? All it matters that each player item is interactable, means I can open up a context menu based on each item data.

I don't know if anyone ever tried to have over a 1000 items in a scroll list, but for me it's a performance killer(it literally makes the game and UI not usable), and that's not the case if using legacy gui or some other ui systems.

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

First off, I don't have a specific solution.

My first suggestion would be to make sure that you are isolated your functionality to the most efficient possible. From reading this thread, I see multiple completely different uses for one item, that may be in conflict.

Turning to the closest massively multiplayer online game that I can at hand, I'm looking at GuildWars 2 [ArenaNet/NCSoft] (and just to be clear, this is not a game built in Unity, but I don't see why you couldn't...)

Looking at just the chat window -

Their chat is limited to about 200-250 messages:
    Screenshot 2015-04-08 18.30.03.png

The only interactivity that there is in the chat window is a "tooltip" where you can see the meta-name of the character, and clicking on the name allows the player to "whisper" or "pm" that character.

When I made my chat window in EZGui, I did not have this functionality. I simply had a chat list, and I did this by keeping a collection of each chat message, but I only displayed one block by having one large scrolling UI item and I simply added the new message to the block of text at the bottom, and removed old messages from the block of text at the top. For various reasons, I don't think this was the most screamingly efficient, as I needed to take lists of text and add them all together...

My gut instinct is that there is some sort of hyper-text or markup going on in this text that allows the linking of character names to the whisper function, but I don't know for sure.

When it comes to Friend's list and marking who's online and who's not... I would suggest doing that in a different window.

Going back to GW2, they have all of this separated out into their own windows:

One for the Guild -
    Guild.png

One for contacts and looking for group -
    Contacts.png

What I'm trying to get at here is that having 1000+ items in one scroll list that's doing everything might be excessive.

Is there a way that you can control, contain, or limit the functionality of your interface to make it more manageable?

3. Simon_says

Simon_says

I could simply not have a lobby chat room with all the players inside. But I still need the ability to pm friends or add people as contacts. I think I will just have a search functionality to seek for players, because if there's no solution for this I will have to cut it off my chat logic.

I will still have player statuses about who's online and who isn't, just I don't want to make different windows for each of that, I'm rather thinking about having 1 panel which will have tabs for that. Statuses are the most important thing to me, as I want the player to be able to join his friend's game or to send him a private message.

This brings me to something I don't know how to make in uGui since I have never seen anyone making a context window. How would I open up a context window when I click on 1 item on the list which would have the functionality to add as friend or to send a private message? Technically it should have arguments for player name etc. from the selected player item in UI.

4. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

5. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

You could look at the live training sessions on making a modal window. You could adapt that idea where you have a generic window that gets activated, positioned and populated when you click on the appropriate part of the window.

When it comes to the list (and I still can't think of examples with thousands of entries... Do you have any examples?) have you profiled the list to see what's taking all the resources?

6. Simon_says

Simon_says

This is what happens when I add 1000 items: https://i.imgur.com/Brp3PlI.png
    This is the profiler: http://i.imgur.com/ZRsAjME.png

I can think of many examples where there's a need for big lists; I have played some game which had friend requests, and all it's ui was made in legacy gui. I could have over 1000 friend requests on 1 list without noticing any performance issues. Some other example would be a room list on a game server, where there was 100+ games on a list, and so on.

Maybe I won't use a list like this in a chat, but I will have to use it in a room browser, as I don't see any other way.

It's odd that this only happens with uGui.

7. Simon_says

Simon_says

Any news about this? I still haven't made a workaround for the list. Would be great if this bug with uGui would be fixed somehow.