Search Unity

[solved] Listen to a custom udp-socket-server with StartCoroutine() ?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by LifeArtist, Jan 30, 2015.

1. LifeArtist

LifeArtist

Hello,

I've written a socket server in Python. The client I've written in c#.

Server:
    • UDP Datagrams
    • Non-Blocking (to avoid waiting for a package)

Server and client where working perfectly, until I've tried to integrate my client into a simple scene in Unity. I've already figured out that I can't use threads anymore to receive my data from server (Unity = not thread save).

So my idea was to use the singleton pattern and start a coroutine (which is the whole time active) if a new packet is available (respectively if the server is sending data).Is this the right way of doing it or is it totally stupid (not efficiency ?) ?

Or should I use threads and remove the inheritance(mono..). But then I don't know how I can send data from listenServer-thread to my main-thread (maybe by calling an event or so :S). I guess again only with a coroutine which will check a var for a change :O

Regards,

LifeArtist

2. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

The typical pattern for threaded data that has to be marshalled back to the main thread is to have the listener thread add to a list that is monitored via Update() in a MonoBehavior. This is similar to what you're proposing with a coroutine. The main difference is that if an Exception is thrown then the coroutine dies, whereas Update will continue to run every frame.

LifeArtist likes this.
  3. LifeArtist

LifeArtist

Thank you for your fast response. Ah okay didn't know that with Exceptions and coroutines.

So in theorie I have to create a List and add the listener thread and checking for changes. But how I can check for a return value or something simily.

Maybe converting listener thread to an IEnumerator (yielding) and then Update() checks what value is inside ?

Regards

Edit1.: I've figured out that It can be handled with a static List. But I cant send Messages to my queue with my Listener thread <.< ... Any idea ?

Edit2.: I'm so stupid ... forget to start the thread via Thread.Start()

Thank you, KelsonMRK

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015