Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lights not Rendering Properly - Windows 10 Store Builds - Please Halp!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mechangel, Feb 1, 2016.

1. mechangel

mechangel

I have tried making a Windows 10 Universal build with the last 8 patches, and am currently using Unity Version 5.3.2p1 and VS 2105 14.0.24720.00 Update 1. I am able to see Point Lights and Spotlights in Windows and Mac standalone builds, but not in Windows 10 UWP builds. Even on a static object with baked lighting, the light appears as a solid shape on the floor plane below the object it is attached to. I have tried both Forward and Deffered lighting with Direct3D11, building on Windows 10.Turning off shadows did not help, and neither does changing the shader on the floor to the Standard shader. I have entered a bug here with a sample project attached: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?766638_j6ptc5okvm27snjg
    I have attached screenshots of the lighting difference from the builds, as well as my settings and error log when I load into VS2015.
    buildSettings.PNG lightsbug.jpg settings.PNG cubetest.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi,

it looks like it's falling back to per-vertex lighting. I just looked at your bug report, and it is doing so due to a combination of "quality settings" and settings on the light.

There is a setting in quality settings called "pixel light count". Generally, unity renders up to that specified amount of lights per pixel, and makes everything else fallback to per vertex.

Furthermore, there is a light setting that allows you to force its rendering to be per pixel: make "Render mode" of the light to be "Important". That way Unity will never fall back to per vertex lighting for this light source.

I've closed the bug, since it's not technically a bug.

3. mechangel

mechangel

Do you know per chance, why this is only effecting my Windows Store builds? Thank you for the tips, I'll try your suggestions right now!

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I've no idea. Maybe quality settings were different for another platform? Editor by default renders in higher quality setting than the target platform, unless you explicitly ask it to render it the same way.

5. mechangel

mechangel

I changed all of my lights to "Important" and now they look good when I deploy on Windows Store 10 UWP!
    I wasn't able to edit the pixel light count, that resulted in "Invalid hash" and the app wouldn't run when I tried to deploy it, so I left it at 64 and am using Deferred in my player settings.