Search Unity

Lighting Feedback

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by zviaz, Sep 2, 2015.

?

Which lighting is better?

1. Image 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Image 2

100.0%
  1. zviaz

zviaz

I would appreciate any feedback on which environment lighting looks better (I prefer the second version) I am by no means an expert on lighting and have only just got to grips with baked vs realtime lighting, reflections, pointlights, area lights etc so looking for feedback on the current work I have done so far. Any other feedback regarding general graphics (textures are bumped diffuse and specular) or level design would be welcome.

dungeon1.png
    Dungeon Lightmap 2 (Going for a more grungy/dark-ish feel)

dungeon1Lighting2.png

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Top pic looks ok to me, bottom is way too dark.

3. zviaz

zviaz

True. I keep debating if I would give the player a flash light to counteract this problem or fiddle with the lighting strength and range. I'm not too happy with the first image because IMO the fire stands on the walls would not illuminate the room "that" much leading to an unrealistic level of lighting.

4. HolBol

HolBol

I'm going to say that both are too dark, especially the second, but for slightly different reasons. In the second one, there's a little bit of contrast, but on the whole it is too dark. The torches don't appear to be creating much contrast at all in the top one so the whole scene looks flat and dull.

With the top torches, they don't seem orange/yellow enough. Change that, increase the intensity of them a little but reduce the range to make them stand out more.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. zviaz

zviaz

I agree with the assessment that the first picture looks "flat/dull" as it has been difficult tweaking each individual light to get the perfect balance. I will take your comments into consideration when I try again later today.

6. HolBol

HolBol

Remember, if you want it to look interesting, you need contrast of some sort. And as the textures (because of the nature of the environment) won't provide that contrast themselves, you need the lighting to do that for you.

7. zviaz

zviaz

Thank you for all of the feedback. I have attempted to improve my use of lighting and have got to the current stage below. I know there is more to improve eventually and I'll take everything on board from the comments here.

improv.png

Jamster likes this.
  8. HolBol

HolBol

Getting better. Just a little brighter.

zviaz likes this.
  9. zviaz

zviaz

10. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

11. zviaz

zviaz

Thank you. The feedback is always useful.