Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

light map results preview...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by U7Games, Nov 29, 2015.

1. U7Games

U7Games

What do you think on implementing a little window showing you the final baking result of your scene..?

click on a button in the Lighting Tab saying "Lightmap Preview", it will show you a shot of how your scene will become after the baking process... since baking process takes a LOT of time, this will be very useful to know if the light you want is not being achieved and not waiting 2 hours to finally say " Oh no!!!.. it does not looks like i wanted.. let´s change sunlight value.." --- and wait another two hours haha ....

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

wouldnt you need to bake before being able to get a preview tho?

U7Games likes this.
  3. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

What about using the Realtime GI mode while you're 'tweaking', and then only switching to Baked GI once you're comfortable with how it looks there?

4. U7Games

U7Games

CDDelta, a preview will make you to avoid waiting baking time if the result is not getting like you want...

Superpig: I tried on Realtime, but result is a bit different.. i´m not sure maybe my Intel HD 4000 ?

5. superpig

superpig

We do also have progressive lightmap baking on our roadmap, in the 'Development' section. There's a video demonstrating how it might end up working...

6. neginfinity

neginfinity

You need to bake the lightmaps to see the preview. Even if the window is little.

Baked Realtime GI would allow user only to tweak light/material colors, but not object/light positions. Also, its resolution is lower.

I think he wants something similar to cycles render-in-viewport feature in blender.
    (old video from 2012)

7. superpig

superpig

Realtime GI does allow you to tweak light positions, but you're right that changing object positions would require redoing some of the precompute.