Search Unity

Lifeless Planet - New Unity Game Trailer

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by theropodx, Aug 26, 2011.

1. theropodx

theropodx

I'm building a new 3D action/adventure Unity game called "Lifeless Planet." I just released a new game trailer video so please check it out and let me know what you think. I'll be launching a Kickstarter campaign soon so if you like it you can help support my project. You can learn more at lifelessplanet.com

"While seeking life on a distant planet, a skeptical astronaut discovers an abandoned Russian laboratory. He suspects his mission is a hoax until a mysterious young woman saves him from a strange and deadly phenomenon..."

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

2. handsomePATT

handsomePATT

wow thats an awesome trailer!

3. danreid70

danreid70

All I can say is... WOW.

4. ForceX

ForceX

WOW That got my excitement going! Great job looking forward for more.

5. theropodx

theropodx

THANKS GUYS! I can't say how much it means to get positive feedback. I've been working for months on this and hearing that people like it gives me fuel to push on... Honestly, thank you!

Heck, I think I could even accept a criticism or two at this point. ;-)

6. theropodx

theropodx

Here's a little bonus for ya...this is a rendering of the "mysterious woman"...This poster will be one of the perks for supporting my upcoming Kickstarter campaign.

7. Dave@IonGFX

Dave@IonGFX

I'm impressed. The trailer is very nicely done and makes me want to see more!

8. BlueRadius

BlueRadius

im impressed as well, it looks very mysterious which is a very cool thing...

9. Hellblaze123

Hellblaze123

Duuuude this game is crazy looking!!! I sooooo wanna play!!!

10. omgitsalexl

omgitsalexl

Outstanding trailer, definitely catches the attention of anyone who watches it. Looking forward to future updates from you!

11. rijahkaz

rijahkaz

"Spitter coming!" (L4D2) :)

Seriously now, you're doing it all by yourself? Congratulations!
    I know it is hard to be a 3D Generalist, but if you want some constructive criticism, I'd say the astronaut's walking animation could use some tweaking. It would breath a lot more life to the trailer. Just my two cents. :)

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Very good except the animation just feels too amateur and lets the production down. You do need to fix it as its so primitive. There isn't any feeling of wight or limbs. In a suit like that it would feel heavy and chunky or even drift if zero g.

This is most problematic in the actual game shots, he suffers from bendy knees and steam train arms syndrome.

Other than the animation I am excited by this game :)

13. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Brilliant, just brilliant! The trailer makes me want to see more. Definitely intriguing.

Best Regards,
    Matt.

14. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

This looks super awesome!
    I wish you the best with this project, you really got something here!

15. theropodx

theropodx

Thanks so much for the feedback guys. I hear you loud and clear on the astronaut animation so I'll address that for sure...I love that Unity lets you update models/animation right up to the last second so I'm not locked in. Will definitely improve that rough animation for the walkcycle before the game ships...

Thanks again!

16. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

wow, this is to awsome

17. spurge0n

spurge0n

Nice teaser!

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is what development is all about. Every so often you get a guy who just goes for it with a wild idea that no big publisher has the balls to take on. Thats just cool.

19. archchrno

archchrno

You did an amazing job, I hope to see more from you in the future!

20. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Looks awesome!

21. megar

megar

trailer looks awesome.

the poster could be better.
    Its probably because you can see too much of the girl. The more you see the less scarier it gets.
    Maybe darken it so you only see a sillouet and the eyes and the footprints.

22. jesseoffy

jesseoffy

ah, the Russians. . . :) Nice video.

23. brandon199511

brandon199511

This looks great!

24. JFFM

JFFM

Really nice work!

And good luck with your Kickstarter.

-JFFM

25. theropodx

theropodx

Thanks for the poster suggestion megar. Not a bad idea...I'll revisit before I have it printed.

And thanks again to everybody for the positive/constructive comments. Keep 'em coming!

26. AaronG

AaronG

Keeping an eye on this one for sure.

Out of curiosity, what sort of video editing software did you use to produce the trailer? It's very well done!

27. theropodx

theropodx

I used Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. I really like it...some folks say it's too advanced for them but I guess I'm an advanced user...I can't stand the wizards and dumbed-down interfaces of other entry-level apps and Vegas feels light and snappy. I like that Vegas Movie Studio is pretty much Vegas Pro minus a few features. The only trouble I've had (and almost ran into on this trailer) is out of memory errors...But Pro reads Movie Studio files so if I ever need to go to that I can, and it doesn't cost too much either. MSP runs about $100 and Pro is about $500.

BTW, most of my post work was done in Blender's compositor. I did just a few tweaks and of course the edit itself with Vegas.

28. Unamine

Unamine

Very Cool!!! Congratulations :D

29. theropodx

theropodx

30. Gabriel_D

Gabriel_D

This looks amazing. Seriously great job, congrats. That coming for a man who is NOT a dev thus knows even less about how hard it all is.

I don't know if you're looking for advice, if not plz forgive me but imo throw away the poster. The trailer was amazing, it was professional. The poster was not. Maybe seek the help of a graphics artist. Not one who just makes 2d-3d artwork and knows 5 programs, I mean someone with a degree on printed avertising/posters and logo design.etc.I bet there would be plenty to do it for free just for the credits. (even the font and alignment seems wrong)

Oh and I didn't like the music. Probably cause I'm a composer and I'm jealous of not being a part of the project -_-'

Seriously though best of luck!

Edit: oh and I LOVED that the direction reminded me of Battlestar Galactica

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  31. Neodrop

Neodrop

Отлично, ребята! Надеюсь на ваш успех ;)

Just awesome!

32. theropodx

theropodx

ouch! That one stings a bit since I *am* a graphic designer. Even got my degree in gd long ago and been doing it ever since...BUT that's ok! I do want all crits. I initially planned to do something more elaborate/designed but then really liked the simple render and so didn't take it further. I've had a couple other complaints about the poster though so I will definitely revisit/redo it before I get it printed.

I do appreciate the feedback--I know you were trying to be constructive. One thing I have learned being a designer is that if you get one negative comment from showing it to a few people then odds are that person represents the opinions of a bunch of people once your project goes into production to a wide audience....so worth listening to all opinions.

Send me a link to your music work and maybe there's a spot for you in the production...

And yes, I'm sorry to say I was/am a HUGE battlestar fanboy. =)

33. theropodx

theropodx

Thanks! (and thank you google translate!).

BTW, this is NOT going to be an anti-Russia game (haha). I just love the space race era--two big superpowers duking it out in space... Without revealing too much let me just say the Russians in my story are a stand-in for humanity as a whole...we try to do good in general but often end up mucking things up...but in the end I think people want to do what's right... (/end of philosophical musings)

34. Neodrop

Neodrop

Good luck in your project.

35. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Great game idea!! And amazing trailer!

+1 for russia theme!

This is very promising, I'm loving it!

36. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

Wow, just wow. The trailer is so emensely breathtaking that it makes me want to play this during my holiday this minute! Despite the fact that the sunny beaches and the beautiful mountains of Romania are not far off. The only complaint I have is how the spaceship awkwardly comes to land, aswell as the stiff movement the astronaut has. Regardless from the odds the music really is epic. The way the video becomes so eye catching and dramatic makes want to know more so bad!

Where did you get that music? I'm sure I've heard that on many movie/professional game trailers.

37. theropodx

theropodx

Thanks, EpicTwist! Actually, what I was going for was not the capsule landing exactly...there's some sort of explosion and the astronaut goes unconscious...and then after the fade to black he wakes up on the surface after a very hard crash landing...maybe I could've pulled this off better...

Music is a stock piece I purchased. Wish I had the skills for something that good, but I know my weaknesses! I may hire somebody for the in-game music....we'll see.

Thanks again!

38. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

No, thank you. You've given me an inspiration. :)
    I can't wait to play.

39. theropodx

theropodx

Okay guys, working on a new poster design based on the feedback. This is rough, but what do you think?

40. Gabriel_D

Gabriel_D

I think it looks great. Maybe rethink the red on "or die" but anyway it looks great as it is. congrats!

41. handsomePATT

handsomePATT

I love how you put the ring in the background!

42. LostInTheMachine

LostInTheMachine

Looks nice. Consider changing the title - "lifeless planet".

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  43. theropodx

theropodx

Hi guys!

Well, I've been a little quiet the last couple of weeks because...I've been kicking butt working on my Kickstarter Campaign. You can now PRE-ORDER THE GAME for just $10 or pledge more and get cool rewards!

In addition, this week I created a new concept image featuring Aelita. I think it turned out even cooler than the poster, but let me know what you think!

This image is actually one of the rewards for kickstarter donations, starting at just $5!

44. ZettaGenius

ZettaGenius

Great job on the work so far, I would love to see more of the game play!

45. weniwe

weniwe

Some really impressive work you got there, not just the trailer, but the book-in-the-sand-empty-planet-stuff is REALLY nice!
    Hope the game follows a good story :)

46. theropodx

theropodx

Thanks guys! I appreciate the positive feedback!

47. theropodx

theropodx

Arrrr!* Ye be supportin' me project, ye filthy scalawags!!! ;-)

*Today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day...

Kickstarter Project: http://kck.st/pbebtz

48. Priske415

Priske415

I made the mistake of setting my kickstarter goal at $8,000 awhile back. Heres the deal bro, Most indie game projects are lucky to pool together $1000, with a few exceptions. Id very much recommend re-posting the pledge drive with a $1000 goal to start with, and then go from there. Your guna lose out on alot of pledges because people know that your never guna meet your goal. Anyways, im a fan the game looks great, good luck.

49. theropodx

theropodx

Thanks for the input. I totally agree Kickstarter campaigns are a challenge. However, after the first 2 days my project is already (basically) half-way to a thousand bucks! And I've got 14 backers--mostly folks I don't know but who liked the game and wanted to support it. I know it won't be easy to go the rest of the way, but I'm working it hard...and getting lots of positive feedback. Also, I had to set a goal that pays my bills. This game is not going to be cheap and 1,000 just would not cover it...

Thanks for the compliments on the game!

And just to be clear...I was just having fun with the "Arrrr" business...I love talk like a pirate day!!!

50. theropodx

theropodx

Hi guys,

Well as mentioned recently, the Kickstarter campaign has been a HUGE success! We passed the funding goal about a week in and it's still growing (at $13,000 as I write this--over 150% funded!). The trailer got picked up by nearly every major gaming outlet and the response has been amazing. So...that means I'm making this game!!!

With all the press and hubbub I've not been able to make much headway the last couple of weeks, but I have made some. Here's a new concept image and a screenshot from an early level: