Search Unity

Lets Code Games - First Livestream teaching you to create a Zelda III like game

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Oliver-Eberlei, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hi guys,
    I am starting a new tutorial series right now on twitch where I try to recreate the mechanics of Zelda III - A Link to the Past and share the assets and the code afterwards. Come join us on twitch.tv/letscodegames if you want to hang out and learn a bit about Unity C# Coding.

2. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

This is awesome. I like the idea of video-making stream. :)

3. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

It was a lot of fun and hopefully even helpful :) Thanks everyone for coming by.

I will do this every saturday for the foreseeable future so I hope to see you guys again next week.
    The goal is to put this up on YouTube aswell and publish the project to the Asset Store. I will let you guys know once I set it all up and create a more thought-out forum post then.

4. brandc

brandc

Could you post the YouTube link please I missed the first episode!

5. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

I was clever enough not to save the broadcast locally or on twitch :) I will upload future streams to YouTube though.
    But I also created a short summary video of what we discussed:

I am going to create these short videos for all future streams as well so you can follow along even if you don't watch the 2 hour live stream.

6. superwendel

superwendel

This tutorial series looks very promising and well thought out so far. A bummer we can't get the first episode but I'm sure most people will be able to pick up what's there. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

7. Timelog

Timelog

Just watched the video, and I am super interested in the project. Partly because Zelda, and mainly because you use the MVC pattern, which I am dying to see a way to implement in Unity :D

8. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

I'm glad you like it so far.

Yeah, the first episode was mainly about the MVC pattern - like the video - and even had some "first-time-streaming" issues that wasted some time. So the only thing we did is import the character, make it move with WASD and make it face the right direction. It will be pretty easy to pick up.

9. Timelog

Timelog

Hope I am home on time tomorrow :) Question, are you also going to replicate the camera behavior? I have problems getting the same behavior like Zelda: A Link to the past.

I mean the camera behavior where the camera is fixed in a certain area, and then pans to the next area when the player walks in it.

10. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Just a quick reminder: New episode of Let's Code Games - Zelda III tonight. Join me at 6pm CET, 1pm EST and 10am PST twitch.tv/letscodegames

@Timelog: I am sure that we'll get to that at some point :) I want this to be an interactive tutorial, so if you want it, you shall get it. But I can't tell you yet when I will get to that part since we need to cover some more basic stuff first :)

11. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Going live right now :) Let's continue coding our Zelda III game. Join me on twitch.tv/letscodegames

12. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

There will be a new episode tonight. This time we start a little sword action :) Join me at 6pm CET on twitch.tv/letscodegames

13. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

And we're live again :)

14. superwendel

superwendel

Hey Oliver, just wanted to check in on when we can expect to see Saturday's stream on YouTube? Thanks!

15. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hey, sorry I was sick this week so I havn't uploaded the last stream yet. I will upload todays and last weeks stream tomorrow.

Speaking of it, I am live again for the next two hours if you want to join :)
    www.twitch.tv/letscodegames

16. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

This is such an amazing series, thanks a bunch for taking the time to do it. There's really no other tutorials on 2D isometric so this will be invaluable learning material.

17. outtoplay

outtoplay

Really really great work!

18. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Awesome. I'm glad you guys like it :)

Btw, we are live again. Join me while we teach our character how to attack: twitch.tv/letscodegames

19. LeftyTwoGuns

LeftyTwoGuns

This last one is fantastic, my favorite one yet

A question though:
    In LttP, hitting some things with the sword does actually push Link back and sometimes pushes the enemy back. Not all targets, but some do. Is it possible for you to cover how to do both in the next stream (have some objects push back and others not)? Would it just be as simple as applying a force to the Lunk rigidbody and whatever is hit that is moveable? Or does the isometric perspective change how you can apply forces

20. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hey LeftyTwoGuns: that's an interesting problem. I'll make sure to get to it at some point :)
    But today we are covering how to create an item database. Join me on twitch.tv/letscodegames to create some ScriptableObjects :)

21. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

I finally managed to get into a rhythm of creating the shorter overview episodes. My brother is helping me out to edit them actually and we will try to upload 2 new videos each week, next to the livestream.

Here are the two videos we created this week.

One about basic physics

and one about using the physics engine to find objects

I would love to hear your feedback on the format and style... and also if they're informative or not :D

22. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Oh hai. We're live again :) Let's kill some bats, shall we? :)
    twitch.tv/letscodegames

23. Shadeless

Shadeless

Hey Oli,

First of all, thanks for the tutorials. I really love this series and intend to continue following it.

Now I must say, I did not follow the series from the very start, and It was really challenging watching the 2 hour tutorials and trying to catch up. But I found the material covered and your insight very valuable which kept me going. :)

The format definitely works for a weekly stream, and you do an excellent job in not wasting too much time, and I love the way you explain things. But for someone who has not followed from the start, it might be challenging to go through all the 2 hour sessions to catch up, and going through the short summary videos really doesn't cover the valuable insight in the videos.

So the problem with this would be scrolling through a 2 hour video trying to find specific stuff that you are interested in. So I think the best thing to do is to put markers in the videos. But even then, most things are intertwined and adjusted so you'd have to follow almost everything to get the full insight.

Well this is just some feedback which I thought about, because I really like these tutorials! :)

In any case, for anyone interested in Unity and learning how to structure your game's scripts ( which is very rarely covered! ) these are the perfect tutorials. Sooo many things covered! I really hope tilemaps are also covered. :)

Keep up the good work!

24. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Thank you for your nice words :) I'm really glad you enjoy the series.
    However I don't quite know how to solve the problem you adressed since the livestreams are packed with information... I could probably cut them down but then they'd be still an hour at least. Markers might be a good first step though. If I plan the livestreams with markers in mind I can try to group all the related topics together. I'll try to come up with something.

Thank you for the very constructive feedback

25. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I am doing a live stream today instead of this saturday because I am away this weekend. If you want to learn a bit about random level generation join me at twitch.tv/letscodegames

superwendel and outtoplay like this.
  26. outtoplay

outtoplay

Terrific work, Enjoy your weekend too!

27. pvqr

pvqr

I watched you live the other day, great job man! Really enjoyed your stream, we even chat a little bit, will try to catch you live again.

28. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

I'm glad you like it :)
    If you have time, I am live right now. We are adding pickup and push mechanics for our character: twitch.tv/letscodegames

29. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

We are doing a special sunday stream today. So if you usually don't have time to join live, maybe today works better for you :) Today we are putting in some health bars and we "teach" our character to die.

twitch.tv/letscodegames

30. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hey guys.
    I'm doing some enemy AI today. If you are interested in that sort of thing I would love it if you come hang and chat a bit.

As always the stream is 2 hours on twitch.tv/letscodegames

31. Timelog

Timelog

Hey I was just checking the Youtube channel, and noticed no new videos have been posted for a month? You still making the series? It was awesome.

32. MetallimaN

MetallimaN

I agree...I would love to see more tutorials in this series.

33. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Thank you for your interest. I wasn't posting for a while because I am releasing my own game on Steam Early Access next week (it's a Starfox multiplayer like game, maybe you like it http://store.steampowered.com/app/309900)

I cut out everything else to focus on getting that project to the finish line but once the game is out I will start working on the series again. I'll post here when I start again

34. boylamn

boylamn

It's very sad that there is no recording for your live sessions (especially you're dealing with MVC in unity, the thing that is rare), cuz not everyone can follow you during live broadcast.
    I hope that you make videos tutorial and upload them to your YouTube channel and in this way, everyone can take advantage of your tutorials any time and anywhere.

35. Timelog

Timelog

How do you mean no recording of the live sessions? here they are:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSKZ683Om2H9yHLL1yX5dBQ/videos

Sadly episode 1 is missing (as he explains the in short video) but it's quite easy to pick up where he left of in that video by downloading the episode 1 code from the GitHub:
    https://github.com/LetsCodeGames/Se...tree/2e793548cd296117a094fe5ad21c053b3e26dc76

Then you can just download the assets for each episode by selecting the proper one from the commits:
    https://github.com/LetsCodeGames/Series-01-Action-Adventure/commits/master

As for the last part, @Oliver Eberlei you should provide links to new assets in each episode in the future, to make it easy for viewers to download them :)

36. boylamn

boylamn

Yuuuuuup :p I feel really stupid. I was lazy to check all Oliver Eberlei YouTube videos and I thought he's just doing live broadcasting on twitch.
    I apologize for this mistake.