Search Unity

Learning "the other way"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Hirnsausen, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Hirnsausen

Hirnsausen

Hi, I am going through the learning tutorial of the bedroom shooter. But I recognize, that the tutorial is good for someone who has already some basic understanding. I, however, start at point zero.

So I got the idea, to follow up a second way of learning, parallel to the tutorial which I still continue. I would like someone to assist me step by step to import some heightfield into a new scene (an island in the ocean), to place some plants (free assets), moving the camera around, and to create a sky and later on a moving sun (day/night) and various weather conditions (rain/mist/cloudy/cloudless/sunset/sunrise). All step by step, maybe inside some basic text file.

This brings me closer to what I want to use Unity for: to create environments and be inside them, of course with some gameplay later (but not yet). So, just learning how to create an environment, would be okay for me. Can someone assist with such a customized tutorial?

I am good in graphics, if that is required for the sky and terrain texture. I also can create heightfield graphics with some generators, but everything else will be new to me. :)

2. Hirnsausen

Hirnsausen

No one..?

3. kirkatronics

kirkatronics

I've been learning a few days now and my original plan has been put to one side due to its complexity.
    I have watched a few tutorials marked 'beginner' and started on making a Pong clone to get me started. So far it is going well and I feel I am learning quickly.
    After I finish the clone I will put my own twist on the game, then move on to something else.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  4. Hirnsausen

Hirnsausen

Indeed very good to know, thanks. I needed to know.
    But that wasn't my question...
    :)

Who can assist?

5. Someonelse812

Someonelse812

I started about a week ago. I found this tutorial: http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial

This tutorial has everything you're asking for and more. I'm only on the fourth lesson out of 285. Each is a video about ten minutes long, give or take. Each video takes me 30 to 60 minutes to get through, I just write the exact same code he uses in the lesson, then I pause and play with the code, see what I can do with it, change variables and use my own naming convention for things. Then I get back to the video.

It was written for Unity 3 and I'm on 4.5. I've found that a lot of the code doesn't work right out of the gate, I get console errors on every 3rd code or so. It's frustrating, but it's how I learn. Currently, I'm on hour 3 of trying to figure out the solution to my latest console error.

6. Hirnsausen

Hirnsausen

Thanks for the answer. But be aware, that I never before programmed in C, only in Delphi (Pascal), and never even a game before. If there are compatibility issues, I might not be able to solve them. Still, I am going to have a look to those videos.

7. Ruekaka

Ruekaka

If you have experience with Delphi it's not to hard to go with C#. It's even easier to find answers for C# problems than for Delphi.

8. Hirnsausen

Hirnsausen

Thanks again.

My initial problem is, how to create an interesting, uneven underground. Maybe an imported heightfield? Can you help me with some suggestions?

9. Ruekaka

Ruekaka

The easiest way to create an uneven underground is:
    Game Object -> Create other -> Terrain

In the "Inspector" panel you can select different "brushes" to create hills etc. You need to find a texture, too. That's just a starting point.

10. christinanorwood

christinanorwood