Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Learning c#

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by HadleysHope, Jul 26, 2016.

1. HadleysHope

HadleysHope

Can any recommend a book to learn C#? the reviews I have been reading on Amazon are all over the place. I have a little experience with VB and PowerShell but am by no means a programmer.

Anything you folks can recommend would be great.

I was looking at this https://www.amazon.com/Learning-C-P...00MMOJ31E/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 but the 1* reviews have turned me off of it, does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

HH

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

You're up, @jhocking ;)

Personally, I like free stuff. I've heard good things about the C# Yellow Book, which is available for free (download link at end of first paragraph).

HadleysHope likes this.
  3. xjjon

xjjon

Welcome to the forums,

I see the book you linked is for learning C# and Unity at the same time. I haven't read that book but I would recommend learning some basic C# on it's own first. Learning Unity AND getting started programming language is quite a handful and I would recommend getting a good grip on programming first. It's more important to know your way around code, the Unity editor still will come quickly after.

Each book has different styles of teaching so I will recommend a couple methods I liked:

Head First C# - The head first series are generally more laid back easy to read books. They try to add jokes and pun between their lines and have some fun exercises for you to try. They don't cover many advanced topics but it's a decent start.

If you liked the head first, then the follow up would be Head First: Design Patterns.

C# in a nutshell - A bit verbose in my opinion but generally well received as a primer to C#.

If you like videos, this channel is pretty good intro to basic programming topics. Derek Banas C# Tutorial.

I also started a thread about favorite books for game making, here. It's not limited to programming, but more of anything game related.

HadleysHope likes this.
  4. HadleysHope

HadleysHope

Fantastic! thanks so much.

5. jhocking

jhocking

heh unfortunately my book is for people who already know how to program, not total newcomers. Indeed that's why mine has one of the highest ratings (if not the highest) of Unity books on Amazon: not recommending it to the wrong audience.

6. Schneider21

Schneider21

D'oh!

Nevermind, then, @HadleysHope! Do not buy @jhocking's book!

7. Baste

Baste

By the way, @jhocking, the link in your sig is broken (502: bad gateway)

xjjon likes this.
  8. jhocking

jhocking

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    HadleysHope likes this.
  9. HadleysHope

HadleysHope

I am going to pick it up, maybe I will need to grow into it but your integrity not wanting to see it to the wrong audience tells me a lot about you. Bravo, sir.