Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

reK - iOS ReplayKit Plugin - Live Streaming and Video Recording

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by charlierby, Nov 2, 2015.

1. charlierby

charlierby

Easily record gameplay footage from your iOS game!
    Add live streaming/broadcasting to your iOS game!

NO CODING REQUIRED

screenshot04.png

Asset Store Link
    reK Website
    Support, questions, suggestions: rek@rarebyte.com

Record any gameplay footage without performance impacts. Native iOS overlay recording controls are included that are NOT recorded in your video! It is insanely easy to setup (NO CODING REQUIRED!), just drag'n'drop the prefab into your scene. Additionally, the package includes examples for UnityUI and NGUI if you want to record runs.

OVERVIEW
    • Record any gameplay footage without performance impacts
    • Stream/Broadcast gameplay footage to third party services such as Mobcrush
    • Native iOS overlay recording controls (NOT recorded in your video!)
    • Easy integration (no coding required!)
    • Microphone support (for commentaries)

FEATURES
    • Easy integration (drag'n'drop)
    • Native iOS overlay with recording controls (NOT visible in recordings!)
    • Microphone support for commentaries
    • Ready-to-use Unity UI example
    • Ready-to-use NGUI example
    • Edit, save and share videos directly from within the game to other apps or services (Facebook, YouTube, cloud etc.)
    • Choose your preview style (fullscreen, page sheet etc.)
    • Broadcasting: Select a service such as Mobcrush
    screenshot03.png

SHARING

Edit and share recordings easily via the native iOS preview. Save your video or upload directly to YouTube, Facebook, or share with other apps.

PERFORMANCE

reK - iOS ReplayKit Plugin uses Apple's ReplayKit Framework (iOS 9+), and is therefore the most powerful way to record videos in Unity iOS games.

BROADCASTING/LIVE STREAM

reK - iOS ReplayKit Plugin enables you to stream gameplay footage to streaming services such as Mobcrush (third party app of the service must be installed on the device).

Asset Store Link
    reK Website
    Support, questions, suggestions: rek@rarebyte.com

screenshot02.png

Version History
    - added ReplayKit Live (broadcasting) support
    - added example scene for live streaming/broadcasting
    - added native UI toggling example scene

- fixed full bitcode support
    - fixed preview styles (iPad)
    - fixed status bar issue

- fixed PreStart/PreStop when using native UI
    - fixed PreStop when using StopRecordingAndShowPreview()
    - native library is now built with bitcode support enabled
    - fixed preview style handling

- added iPad preview styles
    - added support for showing the video preview multiple times
    - added callbacks that fire before native calls (PreStart, PreStop etc.)
    - now compatible with all Unity 5.x versions

- initial release

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  2. charlierby

charlierby

Coming up in the next update:
    • Select your preview style (full screen, popover etc.) on iPads - easy set this up directly in Unity (no coding required)
    • Preview can be shown multiple times (e.g. if a player dimisses the preview first, but then decides to save/share the video, this is now possible)

3. charlierby

charlierby

If you are experiencing issues with reK 1.0 and Unity 5.3, please read this.

4. charlierby

charlierby

If you experience issues with full bitcode support, please drop us a line, a fix is coming soon to the Asset Store.

5. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I have just found this asset, and think that it may be good and useful.

Are the options shown above in the quote already available in the current version?

I have some questions

1 - Does it have a button to replay the video when you end playing a level? Can you and pause and play when you want? I mean to be able to pause and so this way you can be able to make a screenshot.

2 - I want that it will always record the game without having you to click to record, or have an option that you can make it automatic (that it will always record), OR manual (where you can choose when to record)

3 - How is recorded the game? I mean it will record exactly what you have played in the exactly same way? I mean that you will see all the same, OR would be possible to change the camera and point of view of what you played?

4- Can the video be saved in the iPad itself?

5 - Does the recording of the video needs storage space to be recorded? or is it saved to the RAM? or how is made?

6 - How long can the recorded video be done? I mean how many minutes can be recorded without stop, or if this depends on how much memory is available?

Thanks very much for your help

I send my best regards and best wishes

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  6. charlierby

charlierby

Yes. Concerning the preview style, we just added a fix for an issue with that, and are submitting it to the AssetStore. If you need it faster, please let us know via rek@rarebyte.com.

When you have finished a recording, you can preview your recording. This opens a native iOS preview and edit dialog for your recording, where you can edit (e.g. cut) your video, play it, and move to a certain point in time. You can save the recording to your camera roll, or share it (this depends on what apps you have installed, e.g. Facebook etc.).

This is possible. You can just start the recording via code (or use e.g. a click handler etc.) when you enter a level, and then stop when at the end of the level.

It will record exactly whatever you have on-screen, except the native recording controls (if you use them). It is not possible to change the camera for the recording only.

Sure, on the preview dialog you have an option to save the recording to your camera roll.

Of course the recording needs storage space. This is handled by iOS internally.

You can basically record until you run out of disk space.

Please let me know if you have more questions, cheers!

7. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

Hi,

Im having some trouble getting this to build on the cloud. Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!!

9827: [xcode] ld: warning: arm64 function not 4-byte aligned: ltmp0 from /BUILD_PATH/..default-ios//temp.5oN9jj/Libraries/libiPhone-lib.a(PLCrashAsyncThread_current-5565F35D16E4818B.o)
    9828: [xcode] ld: warning: arm64 function not 4-byte aligned: _Unityplcrash_async_thread_state_current from /BUILD_PATH/..default-ios//temp.5oN9jj/Libraries/libiPhone-lib.a(PLCrashAsyncThread_current-5565F35D16E4818B.o)
    9829: [xcode] ld: object contains invalid bitcode: /BUILD_PATH/default-ios//temp.5oN9jj/Libraries/UnityReplayKit/Plugins/iOS/libUnityReplayKitPlugin.a(UnityReplayKitPluginWrapper.o) for architecture arm64

8. charlierby

charlierby

Hi Eric,

do you have full bitcode support enabled for your project?

9. backwheelbates

backwheelbates

Hi @charlierby , I haven't turned it off intentionally, I had assumed bitcode was enabled by default in the latest Unity. I will have to double check that and get back to you...

Eric

10. charlierby

charlierby

We are currently looking into the issue with Unity Cloud Build.

11. ak41000

ak41000

How to get the vedio? I need the vedio path.I can't find the function.

12. charlierby

charlierby

You cannot directly access the video file as iOS does not allow to do so. You have to open the preview window and then there are options to save or share the video (depends on what you have installed on your device).

13. ak41000

ak41000

Thanks very much.I am in China, I need to share to WeChat, but now iphone does not support.So I want to get the video path to achieve.

14. charlierby

charlierby

It only works if an app supports sharing data from within other apps. In this case, WeChat needs to support the sharing option (just like Facebook, WhatsApp etc.). If that is the case it will be automatically visible in the sharing dialog. Unfortunately, there is no way to access the video directly on iOS.

15. ak41000

ak41000

Oh, thanks.

16. charlierby

charlierby

We have just submitted an udpate. reK 1.4 now supports ReplayKit live broadcasting and live streaming features.

17. klvo

klvo

Hi,

Has the video recording been tested on projects using the device camera while recording?
    For example, AR applications using Vuforia or ARToolKit where the camera is tracking and overlaying rendering over the device's camera.

Cheers

18. charlierby

charlierby

Although we have not tested these special cases, from what we know it should work as expected as long as all that you want to record is rendered to the main window (read: inside Unity) of your application.

19. maggiezhang

maggiezhang

Hi,

I’m trying to build and run UnityReplayKitExampleUnityUI example on an iPhone 6s. Xcode gives linking errors below. Do I need to add any additional dependencies in my Xcode project?

Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:

"_OBJC_CLASS_$_RPBroadcastActivityViewController", referenced from:

objc-class-ref in libUnityReplayKitPlugin.a(UnityReplayKitPlugin.o)

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

20. charlierby

charlierby

Are you using the latest Xcode version?

21. klvo

klvo

Hi,

I need to customise the native overlay so it is very well integrated with the rest of the GUI but still not be shown when recording.

What is in that native overlay? Record and stop buttons?

Can custom images be used in it?

Is is possible to change the position of the stop button at runtime, for example, to change its position and size to specific values depending on the orientation?

22. charlierby

charlierby

The native overlay consists of a start/stop button (very similar to the button know from the camera app). At the moment, you cannot use custom images for that as it is actually drawn natively (not based on images). However, you can change the button's position (can be done in the reK prefab in Unity). This can also be done in code via a property.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  23. charlierby

charlierby

reK is currently on sale - 36% OFF - get it here.

24. dreamade

dreamade

Hi,

I bought the asset and have some problems. I'm using it with a Vuforia AR Camera.

When I use uRepKit.StartRecording();

1-) It opens my front camera at upper left (dont know why)
    2-) ARCamera freezes.
    3-) Record only the camera that opened at section 1 .

Can you please help. This is urgent :(

25. charlierby

charlierby

You can deactivate the front camera by toggling the "Camera" option on the reK prefab.

26. mcmorry

mcmorry

@charlierby
    Hi,
    there is a way to change the front camera position on the screen? Is covering some of my UI.
    Thanks

27. mcmorry

mcmorry

@charlierby
    I have some issues.
    1. The error parsing gives an exception. It says that the text is not in a valid format to be parsed. I wrapped inside a try/catch to return an Unknown reason error. I disabled the camera permission in the phone settings to get the error.
    2. When I start streaming, a native popup appears asking to choose a streaming app. If I cancel and close the popup, all the UI of the game is not interactable anymore.

28. charlierby

charlierby

Hi, at the moment, you cannot change the front camera view on the screen. However, this is already on our list of things we will take a look at soon.

1. Thanks for reporting this, we will have a look at it.
    2. What version of Unity and what version of reK are you using? I am asking because this is an issue with an older version of the plugin that has already been fixed.

29. mcmorry

mcmorry

- Unity 5.4.4p1
    - iOS 10.2
    - I downloaded reK last week from the assets store, so should be 1.6, but the readme.txt still reports 1.5. Can you confirm that the readme has not been updated?

30. charlierby

charlierby

If you are using Unity 5.4.x, the Asset Store will still deliver version 1.5 of reK which unfortunately contains the bug. You need to upgrade to at least Unity 5.5.0 to solve this. Because of other dependencies, it was not possible to backport this.

31. mcmorry

mcmorry

Thanks for the info.
    Probably would help a notice in the product description on the asset store.

32. charlierby

charlierby

Good point!

33. nozomus

nozomus

Hi, I'm developing ARKit app with Unity. (Unity ARKit Plugin)
    I tried ReplayKit and it worked well. Can I use reK with ARKit, too?

34. charlierby

charlierby

We are currently working on an update for iOS 11 that should be compatible with ARKit. It's coming to the Asset Store soon.

wetcircuit likes this.
  35. nozomus

nozomus

36. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Any estimates on what "soon" is?

37. jerocostadift

jerocostadift

Hi guys, any news about when this plugin is going to be working on iOS11 with ARKit ?? Thanks!!

38. TillmaniaLtd

TillmaniaLtd

With iOS 11, if your recording is longer than 1 minute, the video itself doesn't save when you select save.

39. Rich0

Rich0

Having issues with iOS 11 as well... looking forward to an update!

40. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Any update on estimated release date for iOS11 support, @charlierby ?

41. Sphoenix44

Sphoenix44

Any update regarding iOS 11 Support? Please advise, thanks a lot!!!!

JoMaHo likes this.
  42. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

I wonder too @charlierby - I’m counting a lot of days since I asked this question. I paid you for the asset. Give us a hint even.

43. charlierby

charlierby

Sorry for the late reply. We are still working on it, but there is a bug in ReplayKit where sometimes callbacks would not be fired, and from what we can say at the moment Apple needs to fix this in ReplayKit first, so we are waiting for an update from them. We are also investigating possible workarounds, but don't have a solution yet.

44. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Hi - do you have any information on this; seems like all ReplayKit assets are suffering the same issue - is it Unity or Apple to address?

45. charlierby

charlierby

From what we know this is an issue on Apple's side of things, because their callbacks are sometimes not fired. We have a new build with a possible workaround which is not released on the Asset Store yet - if you are interested in testing, please get in touch via rek@rarebyte.com

46. aporier

aporier

I'm having issues with the record button not showing up in the build. It shows up in Unity has it should. Has anyone run into a problem like this?

DiveshNaidoo likes this.
  47. DiveshNaidoo

DiveshNaidoo

I just purchased the plugin and also have this issue.

lincode likes this.
  48. DiveshNaidoo

DiveshNaidoo

Seems that it may not be compatible with iOS 13.

49. rarebyte

rarebyte

Apologies for the delay. This seems to be an issue where ReplayKit reports that it is not available on the device, although it actually is. The only workaround at the moment is to let IsReplayKitAvailable return true all the time, and just assume it is available. Hopefully, this issue will get resolved by Apple soon.