Search Unity

MegaBundle 03 - 503 Spells VFX

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NeatWolf, Sep 29, 2014.

?

Which price do you think I should sell this asset?

1. 5$

36.2%
  2. 10$

30.4%
  3. 15$

20.3%
  4. 20$

10.1%
  5. 25$

8.7%
  6. 30$

2.9%
  7. 35$

5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

It's already included in the textures/Materials, I'm not adding half/effects that aren't even magic, pick that texture and do whatever you want according the Terms Of Use ;)

2. davbar9

davbar9

Ok thank you.

3. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

12 shields + 12 shields snapped at the base, the package is really close to be submitted to the store!
    Also, Auras! Shields01.jpg Circles01.jpg

Try the Webplayer DEMO!

4. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Package submitted to the store! Cross your fingers about the (duration of its) approvation! :D

davbar9 likes this.
  5. hopeful

hopeful

Looking at the "circle" effects, I'm wondering if we can have alternates that aren't quite so busy looking? My intention with these effects is that they would be continuously on, or at minimum on for several seconds at a time, instead of being instantaneous attacks that appear and disappear.

I'm imagining a room full of characters with their whirling circles and whirling shields ... and they haven't even attacked yet, with their rains of fire and lightning bolts and fireballs and so on ... and it seems like it may be too much visually. Too confusing for the player to take in.

So if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see a set of power circles where the movements are slow and slight, but enough to show the power is active. Maybe there could also be a solid color or two available, like an orange-red circle with a few flame sprouts, or a green circle with a breezy swirling of leaves, etc. Something visually interesting, but less overwhelming.

I'm thinking that for my purposes, the existing circles - the busy ones - could still possibly be used as part of an activation sequence, or to signal a "hit" or something.

Also ... for the negative energy (as was the case with the positive energy) ... my preference is to emphasize the dark cloud effect and not be locked into using the symbol. I will probably be using some of the dark fog from the first pack in my attacks and defenses, but it would be good for me to have some symbol-free negative effects from this pack, too.

Thanks! :)

6. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi, most of the updates just require tiny adjustments for the specific case (slower speed, one less effect), you shouldn't expect to come right out of the box for a specific use, it almost never happens. I can make another few alternate effects but don't want to clutter the package too much with effects that are so subtly similar and are made ad hoc for a specific case.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll tone done a bit a few effects but keep in mind that the circular FX are meant to be *attacks*, not auras.
    I've got (at the moment) 12 elements, and getting different ground auras (that you're asking) that don't share any art with the other effects requires me to hire another texture artist or buy extra resources just to use one in the specific case.
    I'll see what I can do with what I already have (also to limit memory use) but can't guarantee anything about this in particular.
    Please keep in mind that the auras won't be projections but flat polys as everything will be done with shuriken particles.

Also, each time I add a new typology (eg: ground aura) I have to make it for every present *and* future elements, which is not trivial, I'm trying not to overdo, or the amount of content will be overwhelming and I'll be forced to rise the price.

I'll see what I can do, the package isn't out yet but has already been submitted. So the next update could arrive no sooner than 6-14 days depending on how fast at Unity's are reviewing packages.

7. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Done, in the next update you'll have an alternate cast 1, cast 2, circle, wall, pillar, cone, wide cone, projectile, impact, for the positive and negative elements. Hope you appreciate the effort :)

EDIT: I also updated the demo in the meanwhile that the previous asset makes its way to the store ;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  8. hopeful

hopeful

Just to be clear ... just because I mention something or ask for something, I don't necessarily expect you to do it. I'm offering ideas and feedback, and it is up to you to decide if you want to use an idea and how you want to go about it.

If I wind up needing something that isn't in the pack, I can always either make it myself or get it from elsewhere, so it's not a huge deal. I appreciate what you've done in the 3 packs and I hope I will get some good use out of them. :)

9. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Sure, that was clear, I tried to satisfy the requests at my best :)

I'm also about to open a poll about elements in a separate thread: which ones are missing.

10. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

POLL about elements opened HERE

11. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Adding the Blood Element, this is going to take a while! Blood01.jpg

Edit: DONE!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  12. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Added Blood, Earth, and Flare Elements.
    EarthFlare.jpg

13. hopeful

hopeful

Sonic shield and sphere appear to have a shader issue for me in the demo.

NeatWolf likes this.
  14. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks, you were right, I didn't double check the demo, there were also other colorization and scale tweaks to carry on, I wasn't finished yet :)
    They should look fine now :)

15. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I think, due to the size of the contents, I'm going to split this package in 2, and leave "generic magic" for another package.
    I think I'll focus on spells in this package, leaving "magic effects" on another one.

16. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I still haven't decided how to split the Spells package but here's an overview:
    New Elements: Flare, Blood, Earth, Swords, Arrows, Gamma/radioactive Overview03.jpg

17. hopeful

hopeful

Just don't call it "generic magic." lol

I'm a little confused about how you mean to split the stuff up. I'm hoping you'll keep the thematic effects together instead of breaking them up, like all psionic, all sonic, all water, etc.

18. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

For "generic magic" I mean poofs, sparkles, teleports, explosions, portals and so on. Too much content per se, this pack already has enough.
    I was about to keep the basic, let's say, 12 "basic" elements, and make another with other 12 or more spell elements, I've got plenty of ideas (maybe Flare, Blood, Earth, Swords, Arrows, Gamma/radioactive, gloom, crystals, galaxies, stars could be in the Spells package number 2, along with cherry picked others)

Main reason is: if I put everything in a package I can't keep the price so low, there's a ton of work of fine-tuning behind this and people are so free to pick as many packs they want, for a cheap price.

19. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

The Day has come! the asset has been approved, grab it now at this exceptional price! Update is on the way! big.png

GRAB IT HERE: STORE

20. hopeful

hopeful

Bought it. Thanks, NeatWolf! :)

A minor suggestion: the pack's demo looks more impressive when you re-arrange the effects so that like types are together, along with their alts. For instance, all the bio effects in one spot.

Also ... they need to have more blank space between them, and thus a larger platform. You want to be able to move the player controller around to see the effects from all the angles you'd see in the game without getting sprayed by some other effect. ;)

I think seeing the demo this way would help people better appreciate how many effects they just purchased. (Which is a lot!)

21. hopeful

hopeful

I know you are going to do up more effects, so let me suggest a few different takes on runic magic.

swirling runes: Ribbon-like lines of runes that can swirl and wind around a caster's hands or body

ghostly runes: Runes that slowly move and fade in and out around the caster's hands or body, like rings of smoke

rune circles: Still or rotating rune circles that appear around the hands, at the feet, or behind the head of the caster

chanted runes: Maybe two versions, one being like the ghostly and one like the swirling runes, where the effect can be placed in front of the caster's head and torso to suggest the words of their spell are taking form, then fading

rune spray: Runes that appear to come from the caster's hands like a very short spray. An alt could be like the ghostly runes.

rune projectile: A lot like what you did for the natural magic effects, there could be a projectile made of several floating, wavering runes.

Also, let me remind you that probably a relatively quick add (well, relatively) would be some status effect indicators ... symbols or effects that would be placed on or near a character to show they have been put to sleep, stunned, stupefied, confused, had their accuracy increased / decreased, damage increased / decreased, defense increased / decreased, regeneration increased / decreased, and so on. (The difference between increased and decreased status can often be indicated by adding a dropping or rising particle effect to a symbol.)

22. davbar9

davbar9

Today i buyed this asset! =)
    I have the three assets from you.

23. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

There's really lot to do, I'm trying to focus on adding more spells at the moment, thanks for the suggestions, they will probably made up for the next updates. If you really love the assets please remember to leave a nice review, it's really much appreciated!

@davbar9 Great, I hope you appreciate the quality! If you really love the assets please remember to leave a nice review, it's much appreciated!

davbar9 likes this.
  24. Barachiel

Barachiel

Dang, you've put in a lot of effort and content for such a low price! I don't actually need any of these in the foreseeable future, but you've got yourself a customer just on principle. =)

NeatWolf likes this.
  25. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks! And... the asset is about to receive a huge update, almost doubling its size!

@Barachiel , if you like what I do, have a look at my signature, I put lot of effort in the other 2 packs as well, and I keep updating'em! My goal is cover every need :)

26. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

A little sample of the Cast FX of the Heal element

27. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Now the elements are 25+variants, and they're coming in the next update!
    The number of the spell FX have MORE THAN DOUBLED!

Acid, arrow, bio, blood, buff, crystal, debuff, drain, earth, fire, flare, gamma, heal, ice, lightning, negative, poison, positive, psionic, sonic, sword, water, web, wind!

Walls03.jpg

Try the WebPlayer Demo

and grab your copy while is still on sale! STORE

Barachiel likes this.
  28. Barachiel

Barachiel

I really like the new void, crystal and blood effects. The drain and arrows are neat as well.

NeatWolf likes this.
  29. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I made a few aesthetical changes in the meantime. Glad you like the new Elements!

I still have some ideas for this package, like status inducing Elements like Zombie, Silence and so on so stay tuned!

The nice thing is that I'm selling some pre-made tools, but the usage in a game could be very different! I'm trying to be as general and generic as possible! 312 FX for 10$ is definitely a deal!

30. hopeful

hopeful

Interesting adds!

I guess the way the arrow hit is done we can use it both for simulating a single hit on a target and we can also drop a few in a radius to simulate a volley of arrows landing.

On the shields of crystal and earth, it could very well be a fault of my eyes and brain, but in the demo I can't see much difference between the 01 and 02 models. If a change is needed, may I suggest these be constructed with the idea of potentially combining the two, so that the crystal and earth shields fit together in a way that looks like they belong?

Also, perhaps there could be two earth alts: one of stone and one of magma?

If these alts are made, it would be nice if it is designed so earth, stone, crystal, and magma all stand out when applied together. If earth (or stone) and magma have the same shape (just different textures), perhaps if one is rotated slightly both will stand out in a recognizable way.

31. Barachiel

Barachiel

It certainly is a good deal. Even if the exact effect doesn't match what one needs, it can always be used as a base. I was thinking of modifying the drain effect to be used as part of a charging beam, for instance.

@hopeful: In the case of two effects just having different textures in your example, couldn't you just instantiate one of the effects with a slight rotation? No need for the effect itself to be modified for it. Or I could be missing the point entirely, I am quite tired. =P

32. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Shield01 and Shield02 are identical BUT! for your convenience are snapped differently: to the base, and to the center, I'm sure some people will appreciate that.

I could simply add Magma (fire+earth), I'll consider it for the next updates if it's different enough from what already exists.
    The shield stacking is left to the user, I can only provide you the starting point. I wouldn't suggest having ton of shields overlapped, in any game, tho. If overlapping is in mind then ALL the shields should be *specifically* built to be overlappable. Also, the shields are more than just a plain texture applied to a sphere, the number of effects could become visually overwhelming. I suggest you finding a different mechanic for multiple shields, or simply scale (there's a tool in the store for that) the shields in the package so that you can have TONS of shields overlapped :p

@Barachiel Exactly, I'm glad you're finding different uses for the content :) If you're really satisfied with the package could you please leave a nice review? That would be really appreciated and would really help :)

33. hopeful

hopeful

You are correct that the user can rotate the object themselves, but before that happens the model has to be created in a manner where rotating it would be helpful.

What I was thinking is that when NeatWolf makes the earth / crystal models he could test them to see that each effect stands out enough to be recognizable when they are combined. He doesn't have to combine them himself.

@NeatWolf: I think many users of your effects will combine them in different ways, but I don't think you can anticipate them all. I don't know if combining the crystal, earth, etc. shield effects will be needed by anybody, it was just an idea that occurred to me.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  34. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Math at hand, there would be 25x24 combination of 2 shields combined, I don't think I can guarantee all 600 combinations will be perfect :D

With the shields, I'm trying to achieve a recognizable effect that also allows to see through it and see the player. The more you stack, the less you see the player, the less is tested, it's too much work with 25 elements...and counting, I have yet to see an indie game where shields are infinitely stackable :p

Maybe just flash the shield from time to time, I could make a "flash" with just 1 sphere, to indicate that there's an active shield of a certain kind. The difficult part is: there are 25 elements: is the player going to recognize the element with just 1 flash (fade in-fade out) of a texture? I believe that's the job for status icons in the interface, not for actual shields. Typical games don't stack shields; at least not 25 of them.

Nonetheless, I'm trying to make them as non obtrusive as possible, while still retaining recognizability.

Possible new elements could be lava, blindness/darkness, silence, death, life(resurrection)

35. Barachiel

Barachiel

@NeatWolf: No worries, submitted a review. =)
    While this is hardly an important or urgent matter, have you considered mesh particles? It could really spice things up if handled with care. There's an example of one on github with an MIT license, so it's free to use commercially if you wanted to build on it. https://github.com/x-w/MeshParticleRenderer-for-Unity-3D
    This is something I can implement myself when I get around to it, so no need to consider it a request, just something I thought you might be interested in.

EDIT: I have no idea how the review process works and it came up with an error a couple of times before letting me review, so let me know if it didn't stick and I have to push it through again.

@hopeful: Ah, I see what you mean. I was thinking of tinkering about with shaders and seeing if I could get a transparent emmisive shader working with particles. In your example, something like magma could be emmisive so that it really stands out. Something similar could be done with crystals and other such things.

36. hopeful

hopeful

I only meant checking on the crystal / earth type shields, to see if they could be readily combined. Not any of the others.

37. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Crystal and earth? Judging by how they're done, I see no problem in combining them.
    Note that the rock is semi transparent.

Clipboard02.jpg

@Barachiel Nope, if you reviewed the Pack 03, nothing happened, it's a bit buggy, please insist a bit :(

I'm already using mesh particles, for example for the rock right here, or the sword, the arrow, the shields, the casting fx are all mesh particles. Were you suggesting me something in particular? That code is from 2012, maybe it's made for the legacy particle system, I'm using shuriken.
    I'm anyway trying not to overdo with those to keep the package mobile friendly-ish. A mesh is way heavier than a triangle to render.

Have a look at the crystals. They were all meshes. I optimized them with a sprite sheet, now they're prerendered and thus faster.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  38. Barachiel

Barachiel

Ah, so it is. That's what I get for skipping a night's sleep. =P
    If the sword and arrow are mesh particles as well I'll have to mess with them a bit in my spare time, get some form of the meshes I'm using over here into it. Might see about writing a script to send a version of the currently equipped weapon to the particle system.
    You've got me excited now, I'll manage to sleep less than I already am. =P

For some reason my Unity client can't connect to the asset store at the moment. I'll try pushing the review through again once I get it up and running. =)
    EDIT: There we go, got it to go through.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  39. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Thanks for the nice review, it's been really appreciated, I'll answer tomorrow when I'll be less sleepy ;)

Yes! The Proj01_arrow and Proj01_sword DO use a particle mesh. also the Blast01_Sword and Blast02_Sword.
    With the Blast01_arrow I'm using just a texture depicting the arrow, and so I was about to do with the Blast01_sword because if you see them from the side you only see the linear profile of the sword and can't really say it's a sword or not!

You could pass (theoretically, I never tried, dunno if the properties are exposed) the mesh and the material to the particle system and make a "Thousand cuts" attack.

40. Barachiel

Barachiel

After I've also gotten some amount of sleep and I'm not working, I'll probably dive right into it and see what I come up with. I'll report back here with progress. =)

NeatWolf likes this.
  41. Barachiel

Barachiel

After a quick bit of testing you can easily set the mesh and material through the script. Aside from being able to use the same particle system for multiple different things, this means you could change the item your emitting while it's playing.

As a quick example, I made a particle system that emitted a cone of random weapons. There were half a dozen different models like daggers, swords and spears. It looked pretty amazing.

Sadly, any of the "over Lifetime" options in the inspector aren't exposed, so you'd have to access each particle and change them that way. Probably store them in an array and just cycle through them. I wonder if I could tell which particle was which weapon type, so I could have axes spinning while daggers flew straight, that kind of thing. I'll have to look further into it later.

This is fun. =)

42. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Wait, you spawned random meshes within the SAME ParticleSystem? Just curious, how do you do that? Mind sharing a few lines? Did you switch the model at runtime?

Anyway, 2 new elements are coming: Darkness and Silence (status inducing elements for mute/blindness)

Casting: (partial: Cast01)
    Clipboard02.jpg

43. Barachiel

Barachiel

Aye, I switched the model and material at runtime. I have my weapons in an enum, along with an entry called AllWeapons. I then change the mesh, material, lifetime, size and emission rate in a switch statement. When I press a key to cycle through the enum, it goes to the appropriate switch case and changes it all. This allows me to essentially switch weapons in play, even while the particle system is still playing. No need to stop the particles and start them again or anything!

Then I have a really poorly written piece in the last switch statement that looks like this:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1.         case CurrentWeapon.AllWeapons:
    2.             randomWeapon = Random.Range(1,5);
    3.             yield WaitForSeconds (0.5);
    5.             if(randomWeapon == 1)
    6.             {
    7.                 currentWeaponName = "Dagger";
    8.                 currentWeaponMesh = daggerMesh;
    9.                 currentWeaponMaterial = daggerMat;
    10.                 currentStartLifetime = daggerStartLifetime;
    11.                 currentStartSize = daggerStartSize;
    12.                 currentEmissionRate = daggerEmissionRate;
    13.             }
    14.             else if(randomWeapon == 2)
    15.             {
    16.                 currentWeaponName = "Sword";
    17.                 currentWeaponMesh = swordMesh;
    18.                 currentWeaponMaterial = swordMat;
    19.                 currentStartLifetime = swordStartLifetime;
    20.                 currentStartSize = swordStartSize;
    21.                 currentEmissionRate = swordEmissionRate;
    22.             }
    23.             else if(randomWeapon == 3)
    24.             {
    25.                 currentWeaponName = "Spear";
    26.                 currentWeaponMesh = spearMesh;
    27.                 currentWeaponMaterial = spearMat;
    28.                 currentStartLifetime = spearStartLifetime;
    29.                 currentStartSize = spearStartSize;
    30.                 currentEmissionRate = spearEmissionRate;
    31.             }
    32.             else if(randomWeapon == 4)
    33.             {
    34.                 currentWeaponName = "Axe";
    35.                 currentWeaponMesh = axeMesh;
    36.                 currentWeaponMaterial = axeMat;
    37.                 currentStartLifetime = axeStartLifetime;
    38.                 currentStartSize = axeStartSize;
    39.                 currentEmissionRate = axeEmissionRate;
    40.             }
    41.             else if(randomWeapon == 5)
    42.             {
    43.                 currentWeaponName = "Mace";
    44.                 currentWeaponMesh = maceMesh;
    45.                 currentWeaponMaterial = maceMat;
    46.                 currentStartLifetime = maceStartLifetime;
    47.                 currentStartSize = maceStartSize;
    48.                 currentEmissionRate = maceEmissionRate;
    49.             }
    50.         break;

Since I'm using Velocity Over Lifetime for precise control, I can't actually make a proper cone out of it unless I do as I said in my previous post and affect each particle.

NeatWolf likes this.
  44. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Nice! So, when you change the model the particles with the previous model remain or everything gets changed all of a sudden? (I think it's the second one)

45. Barachiel

Barachiel

Nope, particles already emitted are their own entity, so they keep their properties. That includes the mesh and material. =)
    EDIT: Or so I had thought, must have been seeing things. Guess it's the second one after all. =P
    Using this I'm sure I could get a suitable solution however, assigning meshes and materials to the particles randomly: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/ParticleEmitter-particles.html

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    NeatWolf likes this.
  46. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

After Darkness, Silence and Prismatic, here comes Death Element! (working and adding at full speed!)

Wall of Death:
    Death.jpg

4 Blasts: Death, Prismatic, Darkness, Silence
    4elems.jpg

47. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

I'm constantly improving the look of the FX. I reached 356 FX for the next updates (the asset store is a bit slow lately to approve assets).

Here's the new Water Proj, subtle changes:

wat.jpg

As usual you can have a peek in what's coming next by using the Webplayer Demo

48. hopeful

hopeful

Nice skull graphic. :)

49. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

New Elemets: Flower and Life (Resurrection)

Blast of Resurrection: Life01.jpg

50. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Resurrection(life) Hits01!
    LifeHit01.jpg

Watch it in the demo (forum signature)
    The package is still on sale!