Search Unity

LaTeX / MathML Parsing

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by christopherbrown, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopherbrown

christopherbrown

Has anyone ever attempted or successfully written a LaTeX or MathML parser for use in Unity?

I've only started looking at either. I have even found some parsers written in various languages, one even in JS, but the one in JS is not immediately compiled upon dumping into Unity.

It seems a daunting task, but one worthy of pursuing if you really need to display mathematical equations in line with text.

2. christopherbrown

christopherbrown

I just thought I'd throw out there the response I received from support at unity3d dot com as an indefinite conclusion to my question:

And thanks to you, Graham. If I tackle this task, it won't be for a few weeks or months.

3. Kethis

Kethis

It seems like itd be possible to set up a web server that can return a rendering of an equation formatted in the URL (this part I know is), and then have Unity request a URL and display it as a texture or some such.

It opens up some concerns regarding server uptime, latency, internet connectivity, but it might be feasible for your purposes.

4. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

is it possible to render the equation to texture in offline standalone project or in a offline webplayer composition?

5. christopherbrown

christopherbrown

@Kethis: That sounds like A solution. I'll have to consider it, however I'd really like a local solution. I don't want to assume yet that everybody will be connected to a network.

@gnoblin: To my knowledge, it is trivial to render the equation to a texture for display. The problem I'd like to solve is having those special mathematical characters or equations in-line with regular text, similar to a text book or technical document.

Thanks for the replies!

6. ina

ina

Any update since 2010?

7. RMihai

RMihai

Unity 4.6(beta) is here, but still there is no solution..

8. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Unity 5.1.2 But still No Solution.

9. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Any update on this?

10. Umresh

Umresh

Bump... Any Update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.