Search Unity

Latest Unity Patch 5.2.1p2 is super slow on android tablet (Galaxy Tab)

Discussion in 'Android' started by giorgos_gs, Oct 1, 2015.

1. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

My game compiled with Unity Pro 5.1.3 for Android runs with 50FPS in the initial screen. It works fine. I attach the profiler capture. "Capture5.1". This is with graphics set to compressed.

Capture5-1.PNG

When I updated to 5.2.1p2 with all the same settings and graphics to compressed and normal compression the speed difference is frightening. Its supper slow, only 18FPS in the initial screen. I attach the profiler capture. "Capture5.2". All of it is Camera.Renderer and then gfx.waitforprefex.
    Capture5-2.PNG

As you can imagine I downgraded again. Second time, I have done it again in 5.2.0.
    Any solutions please?

2. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Also the graphics in 5.2 and compressed:normal looks worse than compressed in 5.1.

3. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Any help appreciated...

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have Galaxy Tab A too, and our game performance dropped from 60->30-40 fps when upgrading from 5.1 to 5.2. It's something about the textures/images/sprites on the scene.

5. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

But we need an official answer about this. I am a Pro customer and I cannot use the latest version.

6. daudau505

daudau505

Same here. Any answer from unity team would be great.

7. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Performance issues on Android have been reported throughtout thread, it seems issues still present on latest builds.
    I have not seen any official replies except post bug reports. Thing is no patch release ever says anything about performance, really each release getting worse which is super sad. I just hope we can get a patch release that stabalise this as Unity is moving to fast feature wise, but little performance on mobile

8. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I hope what they did for android from 5.1 to 5.2 they will take it back since it brought disaster in performance.

9. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

If you don't report your bug they can't fix it because they won't know!!

Dantus likes this.
  10. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I have already reported them with no reply.

11. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

In that case post your case number here and anyone from unity that comes across this can see the case number and chase it, it's likely QA are still testing to get a clear repro on one of there devices.

12. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Also as a pro user you could test and see if 5.3 causes the same issue and if so post it in the pro forum, I know Alex is quite on the ball there with getting stuff looked at.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Bug Case 732882
    I would try unity 5.3 but it needs to much time to install convert project and try, then delete and reinstall the backups and old unity. I have also my work to do. Anyway I hope I get an answer saying that this is the cause of this delay and this is the way to make this as fast as before.

MrEsquire likes this.
  14. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

If anyone else tries 5.3 and it runs as fast as 5.1 in android please tell me, then I will try it too.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Might have found a fix, check all your UI Sprites or Images, and if they don't have a material:

- Add material with shader: Sprites/Default
    (if image doesn't need transparency, use Mobile/Unlit)

I have a background scene compiled with several UI sprites, none had a material. After adding a default material to every sprite, performance was back to 60 fps.

MrEsquire likes this.
  16. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

This sounds promising... Does anyone else fixed it like that?

17. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Still no luck. Downloaded the latest 5.2 patch and tried the above solution but nothing at all changed. Still the same performance. I also noticed that static batching is not working, even after I disabled dynamic batching.

Attached Files:

18. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I am downgrading again.... :( I also noticed that unity has a 5.1.4 (released 6 oct) version now. This tells me something that they know about the problem and its hard to fix.

19. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I also noticed that UI is not causing the delay. Even after I disabled all the UI I still go 15FPS when I got 60FPS with the 5.1 version. This is really strange...

20. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

5.1.4 works as expected. 60FPS. I am not updating again!!

21. ideasorlando

ideasorlando

Thanks for posting this, looks like I'm downgrading to 5.1.4 as well, as I've had an insane drop in FPS on android.

22. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Also I use Texture PackerGUI for the sprite sheets. With the new compression settings in Unity 5.2 what is the right option for compressed graphics PNGs from Texture PackerGUI? Compress Texture PackerGUI with RGBA4444 with FloydSteinbergAlpha dithering and then in Unity Compressed with best quality or normal? The quality looks worse than 5.1.

23. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Or use Texture PackerGUI with RBGA8888 PNGs and then Unity Compressed with best quality? Or PKM with ETC1 right from Texture PackerGUI? I am confused with this...

24. henkjan

henkjan

Thanks! I've changed all my UI Image materials to Sprites-Default (expect the ones were I use a scrollrect because that needs stencil stuff). And now it running almost as fast as the same project in Unity 4.6.8. Just +/- 5 fps less :)

25. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Why doesnt this work for me?

26. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

Please add more information to your bug report (check https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting). We need a project to reproduce the issue. And when reporting bugs for Android please add as many details about your device as possible. There are just too many "Galaxy Tabs" running even more different Android versions.
    Regarding your performance problem, in Unity 5.2 the default compression format for RGBA textures was changes to ETC2. This means that it is decompressed to RGBA32 at runtime on ES 2.0 devices. This also hurts rendering performance, how much depends a lot on the scene and hardware. You can still manually switch back to RGBA4444.
    For sprite atlases with alpha you could also use two ETC1 textures (http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-TextureImporterAndroid.html).

27. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I cannot attach my project, its 2gb. What was the default choice in 5.1.4 and how can I change back to this?

28. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

My tablet is GT-P5110 with 4.2.2

29. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

You can try to strip down the game, remove scenes etc. that are not relevant to reproduce the issue. This also makes it easier for us to try it on newer versions of Unity that are currently in development.

In Unity 5.1 for Android the default "compression" format was ETC1 for RGB textures and RGBA4444 for RGBA textures.
    On the GT-P5110 (PowerVR SGX GPU, no ETC2 support) you are hitting the path where RGBA textures are decompressed at runtime.

30. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Maybe a blog posting/stickies on this change may help in the future, not sure if everyone is understanding the change as of course people do not read much these days (change logs)

31. MaestroMMT

MaestroMMT

We have unity pro 5.2.1p3 and the same performance issue on galaxy Tab 4 ... You can see 2 different pictures before and after deleting ONE image component in our main canvas.

Performance has improved by 10 ms !

We need to release our game next week and can't get a decent performance on a simple GUI while 3D scenes are running well.

Also adding material with a custom shader to image components has improved performance by 30ms. Related to the post :

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/heavy-load-for-device-present-in-a-gui.360186/

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG

Salazar likes this.
  32. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

So you believe that if I change the setting in build setting in android of the texture compression from 'dont override' to ETC1 or RGBA16 it will work like before?

33. florianpenzkofer

florianpenzkofer

Unity Technologies

Unity 5.2 does not have a global override in the build settings for "ETC1 or RGBA16". You have to change the format per texture.

34. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

As I recall there was a global override menu in build settings in 5.2. you mean that there is no choice 'ETC1 or RGBA16' and now its only a choice of Etc1?

35. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Maybe the tick box for 'compress using ETC1' in textures works only if you use the build in Sprite packer for atlases, but some of us use Texture Packer to make the atlases, maybe this tick box does nothing for those atlases.

36. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I suspect that most of the issues will go away if I use the build in Sprite Packer instead of Texture Packer. I will test this on the next 5.2 release. Are any of you having performance issues on Android use Sprite Packer or another external tool?

37. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Do you use Sprite Packer or an external tool?

38. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Do you use Sprite Packer or an external tool?

39. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Please help me guys to try and figure out where the problem is with 5.2. Are you all using Sprite Packer with the option compressed to normal? Or an external tool like me which is the popular Texture Packer.

40. MaestroMMT

MaestroMMT

We don't use Sprite Packer or an external tool :/ We have always the same performance issue.

41. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

So you dont use sprite atlases?

42. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

So if I change every texture with the tickbox ETC1 you believe I will have the old performance like in 5.1? Now I cannot test it, that is why I am asking.

43. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I noticed a new version today 5.2.2 with this fix: (none) - 2D: Exposed alpha texture api for atlases compressed with ETC1. Has anyone tried it?

44. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I downloaded the latest build 5.2.2 and still I get the same poor performance.
    As you said I noticed that performance is the same with uncompressed graphics and compressed, no change.
    This is because of what you say above. Compressed graphics with ETC1 on, off, nothing works, I have tried every combination. I even used Sprite Packer.

MY QUESTION:
    Is there a way in the latest Unity 5.2 to use compressed graphics with apha RGBA4444 (like used in 5.1) in the older devices with no ETC2 support?
    If yes how?
    If no, you dropped support for older devices with ETC1?

45. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I give up, I tried everything. I even tried IL2CPP android, which has the same performance but its twice bigger the APK. I am downgrading to 5.1.4 again for the 4th time! :) At least update to 5.1.5 to get the latest bug fixes.

46. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Try 5.3 latest beta?

47. Gokcan

Gokcan

Dİd you test your game with other android devices?

48. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I dont have time to install another one. I need to work too!! Maybe later.

MrEsquire likes this.
  49. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

No, but I'm sure it will work better on new devices. But the issue is to support the older devices too...

50. Gokcan

Gokcan

You dont need to uninstall unity 5.1 to try 5.3. You can have multiple version.