Search Unity

Lands of Treasure - 2D (pixel art) Action/Adventure RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SiegfriedCroes, Feb 9, 2014.

1. teomaragakis

teomaragakis

Amazing work. Can I ask what you are using for the tile map and how you are handling the Z axis (standing in front of and behind fences for instance)?

2. Olphelia

Olphelia

Cute! I really love this, it has a nice feel to it. Keep it up!

3. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Thank you very much :D At the moment each tile is a gameobject, all manually placed. I'll be making a simple tile editor to make this easier and maybe look into getting tilemaps into one gameobject with a custom mesh maybe I don't know yet. The fences are also separate tiles on the same sortingLayer as the player (and all other objects), there's a script on each of them to set the sortingOrder number to the Y value of the tile (Y value * -1 actually so that the value will be higher the more you go down/south). The sortingOrder of the player gets updated every frame so that way he will appear in front or behind the fence. I hope you understand ^^'

Thank you very much :D Comments like this sure keeps me going :)

4. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Taking a break from this project for a while. I started working on a much simpler and less ambitious game for Android.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Pitty... Can't say I haven't done that though! :D

Either way, nice NES-ish game! I definitely approve this! :)

6. RedKing_GBA

RedKing_GBA

EPIC!!! This looks awesome :D Just a side note/ hint btw... why not try and add cool little multiple frame idle animations e.g. flowing hair, tapping foot, looking around, etc.

7. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

I'll sure add some more animations when I get back to this game, for now I'm working on a different one, Still too early to show off though...

8. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Have you returned to this project and made any more progress? Was looking excellent!

9. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

I'll get back to this game eventually ;) Though at the moment I'm still working on Tales of Lena :)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  10. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Both games look fantastic. This one reminds me of a last generation NES game and your new project looks more like a Genesis or SNES game.

SiegfriedCroes likes this.
  11. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Does it really? Strange that this game looks like NES to you while it has more colors than Tales of Lena (which only uses 16 colors) ^^' But maybe it's the smoother animations in Tales of Lena that makes it look better :)

12. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

They both look like they will end up at Genesis presentation level. The latest screenshot of your new project looks more detailed / colorful to me than the screenshot for this one. Maybe just because it is further along a more complex scene with the status at top and so forth.

SiegfriedCroes likes this.
  13. virror

virror

The new game are more colorful no doubt about it, but thats not the same as it having more colors : )

SiegfriedCroes and GarBenjamin like this.
  14. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

I'd say graphically my new game will be like an old school DOS game (EGA graphics) but with a better palette ;)
    Of course I don't have limitations like those old games to it might feel more like a Genisis era game :)
    I will definitely get back to this game at some point as it's more or less my dream project :D What I don't know is if I will stick to the pixel art look... I'll see what I do ;)

15. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Both games look better to me than EGA games. Are you using any palette limitations or setting no limits. EGA was limited to 16 colors on screen out of a total palette of 64 colors as I recall.

Is the pixel art & animation just too time consuming or are you more interested in another graphics style like 3D models?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015