Search Unity

Lag Before UI Elements Can Be Created/Resized/Moved

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by twoski, Sep 16, 2014.

1. twoski

twoski

So i have been testing a new loading screen. It is a simple canvas with an image element. I instantiate this canvas before loading stuff.

However, the canvas is not visible until after everything loads despite me instantiating it before calling any of my loading code.

Do i need to do something hacky like instantiate it when the game loads then move its transform off the screen then move it back when i load? Or is there a way to instantiate it and make it invisible?

I also have a similar problem with other UI elements. I try to resize/move a canvas after instantiating it but it doesn't work unless i put the resize/move code in an Update function. There is a slight lag before anything i call on a canvas actually registers.

How do you guys deal with this?

2. twoski

twoski

Anyone?

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Does your loading code block frame updates? If so, could you run it in a coroutine?

4. twoski

twoski

It does block frame updates, it would be much nicer if i could just have the loading thing display before i enter the loading code rather than chop it into coroutines.

How many frame updates need to happen before the loading screen is visible? Couldn't i manually call it or something before entering the loading code?

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

You could try a coroutine with one or more "yield return null" statements at the beginning to allow a couple frames to update the UI.