Search Unity

KSP Style Click-and-drag construction system.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ShowbagGames, Nov 29, 2015.

1. ShowbagGames

ShowbagGames

Hi guys! I've been dormant for a while (real life, don't cha know) but have gotten back into some unity development and I am loving every second of it.

I've started an app that (hopefully) will be used to design bars (because every man wants to build his own bar.. maybe?), so I figured from the ground up I would need a robust construction system.

I've drawn on my many, many hours of playing KSP to help me come up with what I have so far. If there is positive response, perhaps I'll package up the system and put it on the Asset store (I've been writing it all with this in mind.)

Currently, the system has the following features:
    - Click and drag objects that will lock to preset nodes
    - Different snap point layers (ie, you can set an object to only lock to a certain lock point -- see the Bar Tap Logo).
    - Click and drag objects onto a surface (The bar tap)

Still to come:
    - Fix the 'not active' look (it shows some really weird back facing things when I select objects to rendering mode 'fade' but then have alpha at 0.0
    - The ability to rotate surface locked objects
    - The ability to lock objects into the desired spot

I'd developing this for tablets / phones, and so far the system seems to work pretty well with using your finger. Like anything I think it will be very difficult to get perfect, but here's hoping.

That's really about it for the moment, let me know what you think, and where you think I could improve. Still some bugs to iron out but once I have got this solid I can start working on actual assets and the blueprint export system.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8950906/BarBuilder/0.1/0.1.html

Cheers

Tom