Search Unity

Sneaky Ninja: the stealth game Nintendo would make! (2D stealth platformer for PC/Wii U)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SullyTheStrange, Feb 10, 2015.

1. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Hey everyone! I'm the founder of Starfall Studios, a four-man indie developer working on our first game, Sneaky Ninja. It's a 2D stealth platformer -- think Mario with more ninjas, and Mark of the Ninja with more jumping -- being made for PC and Wii U!

Just like Mario, you can jump on your enemies heads to defeat them – but you're also equipped with an arsenal of tools and magic powers to help you fight from the shadows or stay hidden in them!

We've already been Greenlit in 2014 and successfully Kickstarted in 2015, so now all that's left to do is finish the game for 2016! We're aiming for a mid-October release on Steam, and an December release on Wii U.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Pawl, Razputin, olaHalo and 2 others like this.
  2. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

Looks real nice!!! great job! :D

SullyTheStrange likes this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

Perfect example of a Kickstarter done right!

Plus, being a big fan of Dishonored/Mark of the Ninja, and being RAISED on Mario, I guess I kinda have to get this game, don't I?

4. Razputin

Razputin

If I was a betting man. And I am. I'd say your kickstarter will not get funded.
    Not trying to be mean, but you should prepare for that reality.

Otherwise the game looks okay, pretty generic though.

Kickerstarters are worthless without exposure. I'd suggest spaming your game out to as many game news outlets as possible. Getting an article somewhere would give you a feasible chance at hitting your 10,000 goal.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  5. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Thanks, glad you like it! :)

Thank you very much! Sounds like you're coming from the same camp we are! ;)

It's certainly an uphill battle, I won't lie. But that's just a reason to work harder! We've definitely done some spamming, we're just waiting on anyone to take the plunge. A few have agreed to cover us but just haven't yet. The internet is a big place of course, so there's surely more spamming yet to be done!

6. MinimoStudio

MinimoStudio

@starfall Studios Wow love the artwork and the game mechanics! There's so much more to your game upon closer examination. Really the art is amazing, it's more about the style I'm truly fond of. Your characters interact with the environment in unique ways as well. I look forward to your updates. As a founder of a small indie studio myself I wish you the best of luck and will donate to your campaign when I can. Kinda strapped for cash at the moment as we are preparing to launch our first project and campaign on Kickstarter ourselves. I personally believe your campaign will make it and I do think it stands out especially for a kickstarter project.

7. Schneider21

Schneider21

Agreed. Not sure why Razputin seemed so confident that it would fail on its first day... At the rate it's going, Sneaky Ninja will be funded in 10 and a half days. And I'd put money on it being funded in half that time.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looks like a great game. The level editor is a nice touch. If it goes on Steam, I'll have to get it. Not a huge fan of the art though but I guess you're aiming at younger target audiences like Mario.

9. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Thanks guys! :D One day in and Sneaky Ninja is 15% funded! Thanks to anyone who's donated or shared! Even if you can't donate, sharing with friends is very much appreciated!

We've posted our first update on Sneaky Ninja's Kickstarter page, going into more detail about the weapons in your ninja arsenal. Check it out and see what tools you'll be using in the game!

I believe we'll do well too -- but maybe not THAT well. :p Donations always significantly slow down after a few days (though it does speed up a lot towards the end), so chances are it won't continue at this rate for long. Not without significant help from fans, at least! That's why you guys are so important! Your confidence means a lot to me though, so thank you for that.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  10. olaHalo

olaHalo

This looks very impressive.
    I love the trailer and the very well put together Kickstart campaign.
    I wish you the best of luck

11. richardh

richardh

Amazingly professional presentation and great looking game. Can't afford much but I will be donating. Hope you reach that goal.

EDIT: duly donated. Good Luck.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  12. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Thanks Richard, every pledge is appreciated no matter how small! :D 18% funded now!

Here's our second update, detailing the magic system and the benefits of being stealthy. Take a look and see the perks of being a Sneaky Ninja!

13. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

For Throwback Thursday, we posted a screenshot of what Sneaky Ninja looked like in its earliest stages, something like 4 years ago! See how far it's come:

Schneider21 and vedinislamovic like this.
  14. vedinislamovic

vedinislamovic

Great project I will share kickstarter on my twitter :)

15. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Thank you! :) I can't understate how appreciated sharing is! We've lost some momentum and spreading the word is exactly what we need!

vedinislamovic likes this.
  16. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Today we have our third update, the first in a series detailing our playable characters and their unique abilities. First up, Taro the Grasshopper!

17. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

New update about another playable character, Miyu the Geisha, and her unique ability!

And also, Happy Valentine's Day from Miyu everyone!

Schneider21 likes this.
  18. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

In the last 10 minutes of Screenshot Saturday (in my timezone at least!) we'd like to share a full gallery of Sneaky Ninja screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/TRN7t

19. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

We're now at 23% funded, jumping passed the 20% milestone! Thanks again to everyone who's donated or shared, and a big set of puppy eyes to everyone who hasn't! ;)

New update about our third playable character, Kaida the Sharpshooter, and her (very fun, IMO!) unique ability!

20. Schneider21

Schneider21

Confession: I was actually holding out to back so that I could break past the £2000 mark, but I took a nap today and missed my shot!

So I settled for being the one to get them to £2361. :confused:

21. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Well, $2,361 is a very important milestone. :p So thank you very much for that! And thanks for sharing on Twitter as well!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  22. Schneider21

Schneider21

Absolutely. While I definitely overestimated how quickly you guys would be funded, I think you're definitely still at a good pace and on your way to successfully being funded. Keep up the hard work and quality updates!

23. MinimoStudio

MinimoStudio

Okay was finally able to take a break and put in my support. Looking forward to the game and keep on creating!

24. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

I agree, definitely a good pace, I'm very happy with where we are right now. Thanks!

So you don't think we're spammy at all with our updates? I've seen websites recommend doing only 2-3 updates a week to avoid getting annoying, but we've been doing one every day because we've just got so much to say! ;)

Thanks a bunch! :D You said you're preparing a Kickstarter too before, right? Good luck with it! I'll help spread the word whenever it's ready.

25. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

26%! :)

Our final playable character update, Shoji the Sensei, and his unique ability!

26. MinimoStudio

MinimoStudio

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread but we just launched ours so please take a look and appreciate any feedback and support.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1950105300/mini-racing-adventures-3d-side-scrolling-racer

27. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

28. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

29. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

30. randomperson42

randomperson42

It looks great - but will you still be releasing on Steam if the Kickstarter fails?

31. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Thanks! We'll certainly do our best with what we have if it fails. It won't be as good and won't have as much content (no Wii U version either), but it'll still be finished and released on Steam.

32. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

33. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

34. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

35. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

36. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

37. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

38. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

39. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Razputin likes this.
  40. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

41. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

42. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

43. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

44. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

45. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

46. Schneider21

Schneider21

Almost there...

47. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

48. Razputin

Razputin

buzzer beater! Congrats!

49. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

PHEW! It's been a huuuuuge day for us! Thanks for all the support guys, we FINALLY MADE IT!! And in our final 24 hours too!

Posted what is probably our final update... Not only filled with thanks for all of our amazing backers, but also details on the 24 hour livestream we've been running during the last day! Come visit us at our Twitch channel right here to hang out and talk about games, ask any questions, and best of all, challenge us to streamed Smash 4 fights online for prizes like getting your name in the credits in a special section and DOUBLING your Kickstarter reward for free! Come and have some fun! We've been going for 12 hours but we still have 12 left!

50. Schneider21

Schneider21

Congrats on the successful funding. And great drama all the way up to the end!