Search Unity

Keeping things synced on 2 separate computers

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by DeveloperRLA, Apr 2, 2015.

1. DeveloperRLA

DeveloperRLA

Hey guys, I am creating a project for a presentation for some architectural viz stuff where I want to be able to control 2 separate builds at the same time across 2 computers. I had originally set it up where I launched the 2 builds and controlled them with a single keyboard and mouse using a program called input director, which basically mirrored my key and mouse movements across multiple computers. I was using the standard fps controller and this set up worked well until I hit a section where frame rate varied across the 2 computers. When the frame rate varied it threw them slightly out of sync. I am not much of programmer so I need a little help figuring the best way to approach this to keep the 2 computers running in sync when walking around the site, or if I am going about this the wrong way. Any suggestions would help a lot. Thanks!

2. Max_Bol

Max_Bol

Well, I can't really give you the answer as which method is best for your situation, but I was wondering.

- Have you though about using a 3rd party software for synchronizing the screen display from one computer to as many as you want? If you wish that every computers can control the build, you could look for a screen sharing software with a remote control feature and allow all the computers in accessing and controlling the hosting computer.
    This more efficient on the hardware side as the host computer might require some powerful component depending on the stuff/shaders/etc to render, but all the other computer could mostly render the stuff with a crappy Intel Graphic Chipset since they are just displaying a visual feedback sent (like a video).
    It is also desync-proof with, at worse, only some slower framerate (that isn't affecting the controls) if the bandwidth gets unstable. (Mostly unnoticeable if you're plugging the computers locally. Might be an issue if they are plugged via the Web.)

I haven't tried any free or not software as such, but just by searching "screen sharing with control" on Google gave me quite a handful amount of software. Some are free while some others aren't.

- If you absolutely need them to be sync with multiple client through Unity, you will require to use at least a local server/management system which will act either with a local host (a computer that host the action on every clients/pc and send them to others) or making every client share the information (like a Peer-To-Peer system constantly sharing the information). By the end, you'll have all the client do the "same" thing as on the client which had some action done in it, but there's still the risk of having each computer display the action without being synchronized as each client would start acting as the data packet are received.

I'm sorry if this is not the kind of answer you were looking for, but that's what I thought it might be a solution when I read your question.