Search Unity

Just wanted to say thanks!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SniperEvan, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

To everyone who has participated in this community over the last 4 years:

Thank you for:
    - contributing.
    - helping to make Unity what it is today.
    - learning and growing
    - sharing
    - building great things
    - and just being awesome

To the incredible wizards who are actually building the unity engine:
    - Thank you for democratizing game development
    - Thank you for making such an awesome engine
    - Thank you for starting this community
    - Thank you for inspiring me

That is all. Proceed with your business.

kanga, aer0ace, Gigiwoo and 7 others like this.
  2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You're welcome.

Gigiwoo, QFSW, Ryiah and 4 others like this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

I came here to post that. :mad:

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I joined like two whole months before you. Noobs trying to take all the credit. ;)

5. Schneider21

Schneider21

I don't have time to argue with you. I gotta go play Pond Wars.

darkhog, Kiwasi and angrypenguin like this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Speaking of Pond Wars, you can now download the game from itch.io. Its got an installer and everything. Aren't I just looking all profesional like now.

But I guess its time to get back to work. Pond Wars Online won't exactly write itself.

Ony likes this.
  7. Schneider21

Schneider21

I love Pond Wars and think it's the best game ever, but could you add an option to have space ships instead of boats and make the water more realistic and also be in space? And it would be cool if you could aim in every direction like in Geometry Wars and move around and avoid other shapes, too. KTHXBYE

Kiwasi and Ony like this.
  8. darkhog

darkhog

I'd love a 3D version of Pond Wars.

Kiwasi and Schneider21 like this.
  9. Schneider21

Schneider21

Better yet, 4D! I saw Mormon explain it in another thread so I know he knows how to do it.

QFSW and Kiwasi like this.
  10. Ony

Ony

Welcome, itch buddy. :)

(that sounds... weird.)

Kiwasi, QFSW and Ryiah like this.
  11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'm flattered. My fans hijacking a thread for me! It's an honour.

Every thing except aiming will be considered. Not aiming is the heart of the Pond Wars experience, and will not be compromised. Unless of course someone pays for it or I sell out or generally anything money related. What can I say, I'm mercenary.

Under development. Camera control on such a rapid moving game is giving me trouble.

At this stage Pond Wars isn't a target for 4D development. Such rapid movement in 4D would drive most mere mortals insane. 4D will likely be something slower paced like a turn based RPG or puzzler.

And in an attempt to return to the OP, the mods and community managers also deserve thanks for making this place awesome.

12. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I LIKE

13. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Me too.

Aurore and angrypenguin like this.
  14. darkhog

darkhog

I'd suggest using MasterCamera C#. It's very affordable (about $10) and very good. Very configurable too and so easy to set up, I didn't need to watch any tutorials.

Kiwasi likes this.
  15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'm not so concerned with the actual code setup. Its more a design issue. A follow cam for a boat on waves made all of my play testers seasick. While that is accurate to the simulation, its not very conducive to fun. I'll check out MasterCamera, no point doing more work then I have too. But my issue is figuring out the where the camera should go, rather then actually making the camera go there.

16. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Did you finish the multiplayer? :p

17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Not yet. New engineering job is sucking up most of my free energy.

18. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Oh, that's too bad. I'm still emitting energy like a collapsing star! But at work they decided to shelve trying to get into game dev for a while... despite them having no other work for me at this time. So my job is, at this time, to sit and watch training videos.

I don't know why learning I'm technologies that step very heavily into each other's territory (node, angular, blade, etc), but eh, in between each video I try to incorporate new things into my franken-sandbox.

Schneider21 and Kiwasi like this.
  19. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yeah, I had some painful moments where I tried to relearn VBA. Horrible language to work in after I'd gotten so used to C# and a half decent IDE.

20. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

is that "visual basic advanced" or something? I hardly remember that, I used it in highschool once I think.

21. darkhog

darkhog

Visual Basic for Applications. It's basically stripped down version of VB6 (simplifying things here so beware) that is shipped with Office and used to write macros in.

Tomnnn and Kiwasi like this.
  22. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Oh. I don't know if that's funny because VB is cluttered as fuj or because VB is already simple as fuj. Memory index too fuzzy :D

23. darkhog

darkhog

Well, at least on error you can resume. Next thing you know, you're programming in VBA!

24. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Why would someone want to resume on error? I grew up old school, I like when errors make your program implode. I'm still getting used to the idea of errors being handled as a return (in the case of Unity and some (most?) scripting languages).

25. darkhog

darkhog

Believe me, most VB programmers love to do that.

26. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I understand the concept of handling errors and using a try-catch block... but 'resume on error' just sounds... different. It sounds like it means ignore an error... but depending on what the error is, like trying to read a file to assign a variable, that could cascade into infinitely more errors.

27. darkhog

darkhog

Congratulations! You just explained why VB is a terrible language! A winner is you!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    QFSW and Tomnnn like this.
  28. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Forget error handling. Most if the time VBA doesn't need it. You are writing simple macros to copy data around a spread sheet.

The stuff I'm finding horrible is more basic. No explicit line endings. No curly brackets to control scope. The built in IDE is pretty painful, it has some very weak autocomplete, but it's easy to break. And the error messages are simplified to the point of being useless.

Schneider21 likes this.
  29. Schneider21

Schneider21

I only had one project I had to do with VB (VB.NET) and it was horrible. I had to update some signup wizards for a heating oil company. I was a web developer intern, my supervisor was away on paternity leave, I had never worked with VB before, and I was using Coda2 on a Mac to work (no syntax highlighting or autocomplete). If that sounds too ridiculous to be true, then you were never a developer for a small agency. :p

30. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

If it's so terrible, why use it? Write a java or c++ or c# program to manage your spreadsheets.

31. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Because it's what's built in to the spreadsheets. While it's painful, for small jobs it's far quicker then implementing a language that's not natively supported.

32. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

A built in spreadsheet programming language? I think I just laughed myself into a coma.

I could write a GUI for a spreadsheet manipulator in any language in my sleep! I'd probably look into a library for converting it into a csv and back without needing to open a spreadsheet editor, but the rest would be all me :p

33. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Why? It's one of the most powerful aspects of spreadsheet software - that you can make it do the work for you.

The catch is that the languages are designed to be approachable by non-programmers. So when a programmer wants to do more advanced stuff... well, we don't have the same things at our disposal there that we know and love in dedicated software development environments.

QFSW and Kiwasi like this.
  34. Schneider21

Schneider21

I feel like I've heard this line before. It's always preceded by an argument with an account manager over project requirements and whether or not the client is locked into a certain technology, and is generally followed by missed deadlines, broken applications, and angry customers. ;)

Tomnnn likes this.
  35. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That pretty much sums up my frustration. The language was actually pretty good to me three years ago before I understood scope or objects or generics or collections any of that stuff. Having to worry about misplaced semi colons would have driven my younger self insane.

Now that I know all of this stuff shifting gears to be back in a higher level programming language is a bit of a pain. I find myself wanting to know exactly what type of collection is returned by ActiveWorkbook.Sheets, and what sort of iterations I can do on it. Rather then just knowing that the syntax ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(1) will get me the first sheet in the workbook.

36. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

If you mean things like column c = column a + column b, sure. But the idea of a programming language made me giggle.

When I think of manipulating data, I wasn't thinking of the small scale things where you set some column values based on minor math on other column values. Maybe that's where the laughter started.

I would argue that using a spreadsheet for something important is a bad idea and then convince le boss to let me import everything into a database. Then I can make web based tools and views for everyone who needs access, instead of sharing the source file.

Verizon stores claim to be on the edge of technology but their customer 'database' for local stores is a spreadsheet. #exposed

37. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I think this thread has derailed enough.

upload_2015-8-28_13-36-2.png

QFSW, Ryiah, elmar1028 and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.