"JUMPR Project"

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by ryahoe, Feb 24, 2012.

1. ryahoe

ryahoe

The jumpr project is an untitled game in pre-production. It is a first person shooter based in a steampunk world and will be developed in unity3d.

Steampunk

Steampunk genra is a sci-fi genre which revolves the idea of steam powered devices being dominant over all other innovations of technology. Before you just state in your head that this is a horrible idea please read everything else.

Gameplay

If we was to incorporate the steam idea we could have a solution to our huge health issue, where the player would have to have invincibility to explosions therefore limiting our weapon variety and everything. With the steam concept we could simply have "rocket launchers" that shoot out rounds of bundeled steam pressure that release when impacts on something or someone, causing momentum. This would be an easy concept for players to wrap around because to an extent it is cliché, but only enough to where its still an original yet understandable situation. With this we could limit the rounds of ammo to limit the exploit of shortcuts with constant shooting and gaining of height and distance.

Combat

My idea for the combat would obviously he first person shooter but when fighting enemies, players should have the choice to fight the enemies with real weapons (weapons you see in FPS now a days) or the choice to escape the combat and not being damaged with their skills in jumping using steam weapons, This way the player can either use steam only weapons to be evasive and dodge their enemies or be brutes with the use of combat weapons and using un-aided jumps to progress the area, or use a combination of both to be balanced. This leads me to state there should without a doubt be Steam weapons that replicate a rocket launcher and brute shot but also a Spartan laser (imagine shooting a wall with it to have a small jetpack boost) and combat weapons are completely open for discussion. Also with two types of grenades! FRAG and steam, frag being obvious and steam producing a small geyser that works as a very short gravity lift.

Background Story

The story begins with the world being drained of its natural resources by the people that inhabit it in the future. The ability to use such resources like electricity and coal to gain energy becomes incredibly limited and this leads the the formation of alliances throughout the world, being formed by two countries Chromix and Apheriza. These two alliances share the resources they have with one another, causing a decent supply or resources for the following years. Then, when rumors of invasion breakout between the opposite alliances, a war is declared and the two countries then form with they're allied countries to become two super continents. These two fight a brutal and ruthless war slaughtering nearly thirty percent of the human population. Eventually the war ends as resources are drained to a point of uselessness. Leaving both continents baron and resourceless. As the war ends the world stays sepersted due to Chronix people despising the Alpheriza population and vise versa. Eventually the two continents begin to rely on steam as their primary resource as it is an infinite resource for both sides. The technology of steam powered innovations increase and advance as soon the world is able to even build cities lifted from the earth by steam. Soon after, the continent of Chronix's government becomes strict of their use of steam. This allows no citizens to use steam and they become lost without their technology, this causes them to escape to the other continent of alpheriza, but then as all the refuges pile into the continent rumors of an invasion are spread. In fear of another war starting the refuges plus a large amount of citizens from alpheriza leave and escape for it is not safe on either continent. The refuges form a colony and build a city in the borderlands of the two continents. A place where they can be cloaked from the war rising. Then both rulers of the continents gain word of the new huge city, they both decode they should capture it in case of a war accumulating it would be a great spot for both sides to have. This is where the two militaries come into the city and there begins the war of the city. The war... Of Babylon.

Members Needed!

Modeling artists 0/2
    Texture Artists 0/1
    Programmers 1/4
    Graphic/concept artist 1/2
    Musical Composer 0/1
    Sound effects 0/1
    Network Hosting 0/1
    Story writers 2/2

Possible Candidates: 4

If you need anymore info please feel free to ask!

Thew gameplay and platforming concept is based off of this!

Other info:
    - Non-paid until game release
    - No contract to be signed
    - Scripted in C#
    - Game is considered a fps platformer
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. ryahoe

ryahoe

Will update with more info if people show interest!
  3. Bezduch

Bezduch

4. ryahoe

ryahoe

Defrag in quake was a giant inspiration for us :) As to people hating platforming in fps, I guess we'll have to change that :)
  5. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

your skill part in this project?
  6. ryahoe

ryahoe

Lead development. Storyboard artist, and concept artist for now. I plan to do as much as needed for this project tho.
  7. Traverity

Traverity

This is when you should begin seeking additional talent. Trying to form a team based around half-baked ideas is not going to fly well.
  8. ryahoe

ryahoe

Well we have a timeline, all the characters and setting in line, just not a script. Babylon was our first title pitch, but I'm not sure if it's taken or not. We have a programmer who's willing to build the scripts for the character controller, and physics of the game, but we still need music composers and texture and model designers. I think I personally will write the script, with the story we have. I will probably have someone who helps and revises the script constantly too. I think the team should be:

3 Designers
    4 Artists
    3 Programmers
    1 Music Composer
    1 Network Manager

Plus other jobs that we will need throughout the project. With a 12 person solid team, we shouldn't expect much drama among the team and communication throughout everyone should be easier, all though more effort would have to be put in with everyone.
  9. Traverity

Traverity

Ah, so you just don't have the nitty-gritty details down. No problems with "half-baked" ideas then.

But you should specify your positions a bit more xP What kind of designers? (Level, gameplay, etc.) What kind of artists? (Props, character, animation, etc.) And I'm wondering what a network manager is too (So much mystery!). Is that some sort of IT guy that keeps an eye on the server?

(Word of advice. Put additional details that I squeeze out of you into the OP in order to beef it up!)
  10. Heartbrake

Heartbrake

Um... Seriously, what is a network manager?
  11. ryahoe

ryahoe

Network manager is someone who can run and build all the servers for multiplayer, probably something like Minecraft, IP based for custom sessions, and maybe a matchmaking server where players are matched together based on their level in the game at random.

My job is to design the story, characters and settings. Other designers will either be helping me with that or designing props, weapon, and things like that. As for artist, I'm looking for people who can model and texture characters along with setting. Props and weapons will be designed and modeled after everything else. First priority is working on the setting and character controller.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
  12. Traverity

Traverity

In your mind...what's the difference between designing a prop, and modeling and texturing a prop?

Oh, and you may want to find a server hosting solution (would eliminate need for Net Manager). Unless you can purchase the hardware and not completely annihilate your bandwidth.
  13. yellowbronco

yellowbronco

wow, dont hold back at all
  14. Heartbrake

Heartbrake

Then you woke up right? Cus I think programers can do all that too... Or better said, that is maybe what programer do as well.
  15. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I hope you like a lot of questions. I have a lot of them.

Out of curiosity, do you already have sound effects taken care of? Also how much music are we talking here? What style (genre) are you looking for? Finally are the positions you listed the ones you need (I'm confused on that part). I may be interested in designing, music and/or sound effects, but I'm going to need more information on the project before I decide.

Btw, how are you communicating with the team? Is it specifically on the community forums at that website? What about source code control (like fellowstream or git)? What language will this be scripted in?

Edit: Will there be contract signing involved? I ask because it's important to have specifics on who owns what, among other things.
  16. canary

canary

I think you should reevaluate what you want from the multiplayer aspect of your game. If you're going to have have levels or ranks or whatever, you'll need to have a watertight (this cannot be understated) network solution and somewhere to host it. The cost of hosting something like this is non-trivial. If you want the ranks to be meaningful at all you can't have peer to peer games be ranked, you'll need to either host one or more servers to run instances of the game or distribute the server software to (trusted) people willing to host a dedicated server for you. Middleware exists to ease the development of multiplayer games (smartfox, photon, etc.) but are more than likely prohibitively pricey for a project like this. Last I checked, smartfox was about 1000 USD for 500 users, and that doesn't include hosting.

Additionally, middleware is not going to magically make an authoritative solution for your game, as I'm sure you're aware.

So, best case is you get a network engineer that is willing to work for free and you develop your own backend and trusted people are willing to host it on their dedicated servers at their expense and all you have to host yourself is somewhere for the player accounts to live. I don't think this is a realistic scenario.

It's much more reasonable to not have persistence in a small project like this, just have peer to peer networking with unity's built in networking. I think your concept could work out great, but please have realistic expectation and goals. Is there really such a huge gain in how fun your game is by having persistence as to justify the massive added cost to development?
  17. ryahoe

ryahoe

With the network managing, I'm needing someone who can run the servers 24/7 and multiple servers, I may already have that handled but its not for certain.

Difference between designing a prop and modeling and texturing it, would be something like a vehicle. Someone would come up with the idea of a vehicle, and then someone would work with that person to make its appearance, if that makes sense.

I was hoping to gain more credibility for the game to stand on before getting sound effects. same with the Network. I was thinking a composer would be more necessary to simulate the "feel" of the game, before showing off progress to gain the completion of the team. If you are willing to do sound effects, it is certain you could work on them as the game progresses however.

The team will communicate through programs and services such as Skype, TeamVeiwer/LogMeIn, File sharing through a sort of drop-box, and of course multiple ways to get in touch with each other.

The Style/Genre of the game will be a FPS platformer with a Steampunk feel to it in an city that is kind of a free roam area, with boundaries at certain points. Think of Grand theft auto 3, where you couldn't certain parts of the city until you progressed. The city itself will be in mostly ruins, with destroyed futuristic buildings with moss and trees growing from them, giving an ancient look to the city.

As for the positions, those are how many we need over-all, we have about 4-5 members. 5 if you count the one who is willing to do networking. I told him I don't need the networking until more is done with the game, so for now he isn't an official part of the team.

Finally, with the contracts, contracts may become necessary as it progresses if problems occur such as members threatening to quit and such.

Any more questions? If you have questions about the story, please PM me, i would rather not publicly release the story.
  18. ryahoe

ryahoe

I'm not very informative about server hosting, I know the person I have contacted about the subject, hosts 30+ minecraft and counterstrike servers, and he stated that he could find a way to put people into random servers based on a ranking system. I'm not sure how he planned it, but all the servers are dedicated, and have 99% up time. we could possibly change all of this and you really just opened my eyes on the realism of this idea failing, but it's fairly worth a try, and if it isn't successful, we should of course find a back up plan. Thank you!

Also for further more questions, I will answer tomorrow, I am off to sleep for now! Remember the down sides to joining the project now, is that we aren't a confirmed full team yet, as i know this will lead some away, I want to be as honest as i can to let you all REALLY know where this game stands.
  19. ryahoe

ryahoe

I apologize for the triple post, but tomorrow I will create and post some concept art along with the GDD. At this point I am mostly looking for dedicated programmers and modelers. More about the game will be released and I will update the op.
  20. ryahoe

ryahoe

21. Traverity

Traverity

Many kudos to improving the OP. Though it might be helpful to the reader if you open up with a basic overview of the game.

And I always suggest that people keep story/plot summaries down to four or five sentences haha :) Just put across an interesting summary that gives us the basic idea/direction of the story. Less to write, and less to read.

Anyways, those are my suggestions. :D
  22. ryahoe

ryahoe

Thanks for the help! Will work on right now :)
  23. ryahoe

ryahoe

24. gninjagnome

gninjagnome

Any chance we could see some of that concept art? I totally dig the steampunk thing.