Search Unity

Jove 2.0: DX11 Rendering System (Alpha Release)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Aieth, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Aieth

Aieth

Thanks, I'll fix it. I had no idea you could even fullscreen a webplayer :p I never right clicked one before.

2. SteveB

SteveB

o_O lolwut!?!

Haha, well good, fix it quick so I can see this S*** in all its (larger) glory! :D

Thanks Aieth

-Steven

blueivy likes this.
  3. vivi90

vivi90

Hope you don't mind, Aieth. I packed up a build of the demo scene here https://www.mediafire.com/?08g0732u5h0gq1r
    Be warned, all your hd space are belong to us. The 13mb archive explodes into glorious 430mb on your harddrive. :cool:

I mapped some features to keyboard keys:

1 - toggle shadows
    2 - toggle fog
    3 - toggle bloom and lens dirt
    4 - decrease bloom
    5 - increase bloom
    6 - decrease lens dirt
    7 - increasse lens dirt
    8 - toggle antialiasing
    9 - toggle vignetting

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  4. JecoGames

JecoGames

Same here,it works fine in small view but when I go full screen it goes black,I say its more a issue with the unity web player than Jove, but in case it isn't here's my specs:

Gtx 660
    Intel i5 3570k
    8gb ram

5. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'll call this 'the guilty party', blobs been up to no good. Here's the scene with scattering and a lightmap shader I used with a lightmap baked with max and vray

braaad, Aieth and blueivy like this.
  6. SteveB

SteveB

Lightmap baking boooo... :D

7. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

There is absolutely no way around it if you want good-looking results, especially in environments without directional lights. Deal with it. :p

8. SteveB

SteveB

Haha no of course...

...I'm on my crusade for full real-time everything (as most of us are I suspect), and honestly hope I've baked my last lightmap to be perfectly honest. If GTA5 can look the way it does on an Xbox360, I don't feel the need to ever bake again! :D

Cheers

-Steven

9. lazygunn

lazygunn

Pfff, thanks to how simple it was to write a shader for Jove i'd knocked up a lightmap shader with vertex colour control that had AO in the alpha channel and i didn't even have to look too hard around to do it. Since I can be pretty thick about this kind of thing sometimes, i'd say that was a win.

10. SteveB

SteveB

Absolutely man, rock on! Nice pic is def a win :D

11. Licarell

Licarell

I wish...

12. Aieth

Aieth

That is pretty hard to achieve :) I mean, the only GI method I have ever heard of that works in real time without any precomputation is light propagation volumes, and that comes with some pretty severe limitations (performance and scales very poorly with more lights, so it only really works good for outdoor scenes)

13. lazygunn

lazygunn

Apparently I got the lightmap shader quite wrong aha, well a right one will come soon!

14. Aieth

Aieth

There we go, Alpha 0.2 has been submitted to the asset store! When accepted, the price rises from 95$ to 100$.

15. CKahler

CKahler

Hi Aieth,
    thanks for uploading the web demo. Would be great if you could also build a windows standalone, with no vsync on and no fps limiter, so we can check the performance (using fraps). I'm currently only interested in the performance, the result looks great! if it runs well, I like to use your renderer in combination with my LPV system.

16. vivi90

vivi90

I uploaded a standalone build just 10 posts ago or so. There are two quality settings which toggle vsync on or off.
    Is it not working or am i just ignored? I need to know :(
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/jo...stem-alpha-release.262823/page-8#post-1764577

17. lazygunn

lazygunn

It worked for me vwekker! Seemed just fine!

18. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'd be really interested in this, was it you that had a go at the voxel GI implementation? Either way LPV is a great thing to see happening in jove. I myself think its rather quick but itd def better you speaking to Aieth

19. SteveB

SteveB

Sorry didn't respond to this!

I'm not talking about any precomp, just simply no baking; no static lightmaps. Be it GTA5, Farcry3, AC, Witcher2 (and moreso the upcoming 3rd one), and so on have made tremendous strides in emulating skylighting and indirect bounce. Heck the ENB series for Skyrim is absolutely stunning and that's a mod!!

I don't need physically accurate raycasting, just convincing cheats. Again the reason I stress GTA5 is that they did all that on the Xbox360, which as you know is 2005 technology and it cheats real-world lighting to the greatest degree out of any game, IMHO of course. :D

Cheers man!

-Steven

20. lazygunn

lazygunn

GTA5 was a technical marvel, one of my fave examples of incredibly competent technical ability. It was, however, the most expensive game ever made, so it came at a cost

21. SteveB

SteveB

It exists as a thing, expensive or not which is all that matters :D

22. CKahler

CKahler

23. l0cke

l0cke

Take GTA5, use some tool for extracting shaders from memory and you can see, how it is done.

24. vivi90

vivi90

I ported a simple tessellation shader that works with Jove. I had to write an updated tessellated shadow caster so it doesn't look funky.
    Here a few tests some basic Quixel materials+heightmaps. Love the look of Jove : )

2014-September-Jove-TesselationWire.jpg 2014-September-Jove-Tesselation.jpg
    2014-September-Jove-Tesselation-walls.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Ghosthowl, Fab4, Zicandar and 6 others like this.
  25. SteveB

SteveB

Okay hold the futch on...

...am I losing my damn mind or do these look REALLY good?

You're using points in the tess'd sphere shot to get that nice bit of color in the shadow, but the wall shot looks like it's just a Sun and Sky, yes?

:D

26. vivi90

vivi90

Yep, just a Sun and sky. And tiny amount of fog. (and a little bit of blur and AA and lens dirt : D)

Without the little point lights, the tessellated spheres look like this: 2014-September-Jove-Tesselation-wolights.jpg

And that's all without static lightmaps, SSR or global illumination at the moment. Quixel and Jove do both really great stuff

lazygunn likes this.
  27. SteveB

SteveB

Damn...gorgeous

28. Olafson

Olafson

Any intend to share these shaders with us?
    They look nice.

29. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

30. vivi90

vivi90

Thanks, I first want to clean them up a bit, but I will share it for free. Shouldn't take too long ;)

cg_destro and hopeful like this.
  31. cg_destro

cg_destro

looking damn good! :) I like this soft more natural look, not sharp very cg we use to see all the time :)
    great work, great system, bravo! :)

32. Licarell

Licarell

@vwekker Thank you very much for your generosity...

33. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

@Aieth, how it's going with the update approval in the asset store? Should we redownload the package from the store yet or should we keep the test version for now? Not sure what version is posted there, from the absence of the patch notes on the download. :)

34. Aieth

Aieth

@bac9-flcl
    If I have sent you the link you can find the latest version there. It is the same version as I uploaded to the asset store. Not 100% sure which version I sent you in person, so redownloading might be best :)

@vwekker
    Looking really good. I always wondered what actual artist textures looked like compared to my colored primitives. Now I know :p

35. vivi90

vivi90

Here are the shaders.
    First make a backup of JoveShadowCaster.shader located at Assets/Jove/Resources/Shaders
    Then move all 3 files from the zip archive to Assets/Jove/Resources/Shaders

There are two shaders. The first has a fixed tessellation amount. The second tessellates the mesh based on vertex distance to the cam. And I should note, that I use a Jove alpha version of Jove, which is not yet up in the Asset Store. So no guarantees that it's compatible to your version, but chances are that Aieth will put them or a variation of them into one of the next versions so they will be part of Jove. ;)

Attached Files:

Aieth and hopeful like this.
  36. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

The update is finally in the store.

By the way, where do I find the new ambient specular exposure setting? Not seeing it anywhere in the camera inspector.

Edit: Actually, I don't think it's there at all because the update is not there either. Some error or mistake seems to have occurred with the upload, but the Asset store version, while having release notes describing last update (mentioning exposure, volumetrics, etc.), actually downloads the old shader-only Jove release. No JoveCamera, old demo scene, old Jove Main shader, old environment probes and so on. Pretty strange. Hopefully I did not break anything installing that stuff over the latest pre-release version.

Edit 2: Yeah, thankfully there are absolutely no overlaps between old and new Jove save for scene.unity demo scene file, so nothing is broken. By the way, the material library with all those common metals from the old release should probably be included into the new release, it could be a handy reference to people who are not familiar with PBR workflows (provided that channel order and interpretation are the same and those textures require no editing, of course).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  37. Aieth

Aieth

Are you saying that the version on the asset store is the old 1.0 version?? What the.. I dont even have that on my computer anymore. I cant check it out until later today, but that sounds very strange.

38. vivi90

vivi90

I imported it into an empty project and it has fog. Doesn't look like the old version to me.

39. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Downloaded it through the asset store again and it seems to be proper now. Interesting detail: while release notes look the same, after previous download the asset renamed itself from "Jove: DX11 Rendering system v1.09" to "Jove: DX11 Rendering system v1.1", and only now, after restarting the editor and making another download, I got the asset with the proper version number displayed: "Jove: DX11 Rendering system v2.1".

I guess it's some glitch on the Asset Store side, either with the Editor insisting on downloading an intermediate version before being able to download the latest one, or server-side with the Asset Store issuing an incorrect download. All works now. :)

vivi90 likes this.
  40. Z43D

Z43D

Yeah, I've noticed that issue with updates on a few other purchases from the store as well. There seems to be like a 6-12 hour funky period where you never know what you are going to get when you import lol.

Que the Forrest Gump quote haha

Zicandar likes this.
  41. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Time to show something: this environment was enabled by Jove, making heavy use of cubemapped lights and enjoying rock solid performance even when on screen light sources make it into hundreds. Whole environment is using just one texture and no authored texture coords - everything is mapped using UV1 triplanar and UV2 coords generated by lightmapping system, through subjective masks created from skylight AO, high-frequency AO and sharpness bakes. In short, working on that stuff is pure joy where you literally do nothing but sculpt naked geometry, leaving the game to do everything else.

Bigger images here:
    https://imgur.com/a/c1Uif#0

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    blueivy likes this.
  42. SteveB

SteveB

Okay first...wtf and holy S***...

...what am I failing to understand that Jove can do currently?

Cubemapped Lights
    ? (DumbQuestion.tm: do you mean a form of IBL or Ambient Cubemaps?)

Skylight AO?? (I didn't know hemispherical 'anything' was in yet)

So this is pure Jove and all realtime? If I may ask, could you go over briefly the process you used here? :D

Thanks man and awesome work

-Steven

43. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

This is Jove, no other assets, yes.

I'm using Beast to create UV2 coords and bake skylight AO and high-frequency AO, macro ambient differences come from those, not from Jove. I have posted the simplified version of the shader allowing you to do this here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/jo...stem-alpha-release.262823/page-4#post-1748714

My shader is also using triplanar mapping to generate UV1 coords and to slap floor, ceiling and wall textures to appropriate surfaces. I then create a few subjective masks from the lightmap and sharpness map and use them to distribute and use those textures in different ways, for example accumulating more rubble in occluded parts of the floors.

As about cubemapped lights, I mean light sources with so called cookies. Support for reuse of cubemaps like that was added with the latest patch. It's a simple map that emulates IES distribution, allows to avoid use of shadows (that are not available for point lights in Jove yet) and get neat focusing effects you see on the walls.

Ah, and I'm using a dark cubemap with a large spherical environment probe to darken the far end of the "canyon". It's essentially used as negative ambient light, although, of course, you are limited to a very small amount of those. Proper negative lights will probably arrive at some point in the future, but for darkening one spot per level, probes work for now.

Pretty convenient setup.

44. SteveB

SteveB

Ah Beast...

...okay, and while this doesn't diminish how great I think those shots are, I did think they were real-time.

Good stuff Bac, thank you for the quick reply and infos! :D

-Steven

45. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

You can't get that sort of lighting without an unacceptable performance hit or without one or another form of precomputation in the foreseeable future, best just get used to it. )

46. SteveB

SteveB

Well to frame my suspected naivete in some context, I know what's on the horizon (and here now) for real-time, in-game visuals, and everywhere we're seeing a very high degree of quality that simulates so much of what we're all trying to do in our development.

I pointed out several games out now and have even arrived in the past few years that hit such a high degree of lighting quality, all in real-time, that now I'm not putting it past any asset or rendering engine for being real-time. Looking at the aforementioned games, Kojima's new FOX engine for MGS, Square-Enix's Luminous Engine and the recently released engine demo (video) from Silicon Studio, nothing surprises me; we're on that cusp.

Honestly while your shots look awesome, I can't see why that couldn't be replicated in real-time. Sure measurable levels of high quality in areas, overall it's not outside the realm of possibility, hence why I asked.

So no, I refuse to get used to it bac!! Hehe... :D

Cheers man

47. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I'm pretty sure MGS and the demo scenes you have mentioned all use baked low frequency AO and light probes. GTAV does that too, same as Assassins Creed, same as Watch Dogs, same as Far Cry 3, same as Crysis 3, same as practically every single supposedly "full real-time" game, to varying degrees. Practically everyone does it, it makes sense to, unless your game is called Minecraft and has absolutely no preexisting data to cook.

48. lazygunn

lazygunn

Your head would be out there like pluto thinking current realtime GI could beat a baked flavour (even though i hate beast). I use Vray for static lights and GI and yes we are a long way away from beating vray at its own game when talking accuracy and beauty

If anyone doesnt mind i can post a video of the scene ive been messing with as it stands and maybe that could be convincing.. or maybe not who knows, i'll ask Aieth if they mind in private

49. Frpmta

Frpmta

Just wondering, is there some overhead for this being coded in C# instead of being C++?
    If you had source access, would it be much more efficient/faster or would there be ways to implement it directly into the engine?
    Not that I have source access, just curious in knowing because it would be a darn waste of "what could be" knowing it is currently much more efficient than the Unity renderer without even being coded inside of the engine directly.

50. lazygunn

lazygunn

I don't think those two things follow exactly, specifically the source for Unity is a giant pile of money, and most of the work by Jove is done by the GPU in shaders, unsurprisingly, given its renderyness