Search Unity

Jewel Match Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kurayami88, Aug 30, 2013.

1. kurayami88

kurayami88

To all JMFP users...

I have recently completed a new asset ( Jewel Swipe Framework ) which is based on JMFP. it has all the cool stuff of JMFP and has a brand new shiny engine with more improvements and such... it will be released asap (hopefully published within a day or two, and god knows when it will be released by Unity Asset Store)
    ----------
    That being said... there are significant changes (especially to the GameManager script) ... it will be hard to upgrade if you have already modified the GameManager script itself...
    what say you... would you want the upgrades with more efficient codes? or stick with minor updates and bugfixes only?

------------
    p.s.> JSF (the new asset) has a hexagon board option. I will not be bringing hex board to JMFP as the logic quite complicated to re-integrate into the current system... it would require a complete GameManager.cs + board.cs script overhaul in order for it to work.

I would change my mind if there are numerous request for the change (of which will most likely break any customisations you have made to JFMP since it's current release)
    Do keep in mind that I cannot provide a changelog for it... you will have to treat JMFP as a new asset rather than an upgrade/update if you were to request this feature.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. NeoUnity

NeoUnity

Sorry for my poor English. Then I don't understand your comments all.
    But, I'm follow your decision because I have thought that you have been really prudent & responsible developer.
    Anyway I have no problem whether or not. i put up with any discomfort.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

I was just about to purchase JMF Pro but seeing as you have produced a new asset, I will wait for that one instead.

4. kurayami88

kurayami88

It is a different asset to complement JMF Pro (not to replace it) ....=)
    I'm also on the works to upgrade JMF Pro to incorporate the more efficient codings of the new assets =)

5. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

So do I just buy JMF Pro and then have to purchase this new asset later.?

6. kurayami88

kurayami88

that depends on whether you are interested in it or not...
    it's not an add-on to JMFP ... just another framework that will be nice to have along side JMFP...
    JMFP is like candy crush match feature... the new asset is a swipe feature... you can play the demo here

JMFP demo :- http://goo.gl/cofAhU
    new asset JSF demo :- http://goo.gl/dbym94

thanks~ :)
    *p.s.> dont forget to run your browser with administrator privileges if needed to run Unity Webplayer

7. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

Hi,
    I am confused.

You state " I have recently completed a new asset ( Jewel Swipe Framework ) which is based on JMFP. it has all the cool stuff of JMFP and has a brand new shiny engine with more improvements and such"

Which implies it is built on top of jmf pro. and changes to the original would be difficult.

So it appears as a stand alone asset.

8. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

Seems a bit strange that new demo, on a five match only, you can match 4 and you can also match jewel even if it is locked with a chain.

9. kurayami88

kurayami88

sorry for the misunderstanding ... it is based off JMFP structure and concept and created to be something completely new.
    there are numerous similarities but how the engine works is completely different as one is a auto-line-up-match system (similar to candy crush and bejeweled concept) and the other is a swipe-to-match system.

perhaps i miss-labeled / didnt set the criteria properly for the min swipe in that particular level... my mistake sorry!

the behavior of the lock has been changed in the swipe framework. This is to compensate for the lack of "auto-match" feature due to the nature of the swipe engine instead. Sorry for the confusion.

and in a way... this is a great opportunity to illustrate the flexibility of changing the custom pieces and panels to your desired liking :)

10. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

Thanks for the explanation.

This leaves me with a dilemma, buy JMF Pro now or wait until you complete the re write with the new code.

As you will be producing another framework will this stop future improvements to JMF Pro.

11. kurayami88

kurayami88

not at all... i'm in the progress of upgrading JMFP's engine with the improvements already made in JSF ... it'll take awhile to upgrade it though :)

12. kurayami88

kurayami88

to @shoni.wheeler ,

the min swipe criteria is working as intended...
    what you probably saw was a special merge feature. that being said, a pointy rainbow star with any color will trigger the special merge feature that will destroy all of the same color...

the min swipe will only affect normal swipes of which a minimum length of 'x' is needed in order to destroy the swipe chain. :)

13. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

HI,

Yes, probably me seeing it wrong. How are the updates coming on, I am dying to get hold of this framework although I do think I will get the match 3 type one first to see how I can adapt it or even if I can, never done games before only utilities apps for iPhones. Unity is brand new to me.

14. kurayami88

kurayami88

I'm in the midst of updating JMFP to version 2 (which is not compatible with version 1) and it will include all the new optimizations that are implemented in the new JSF engine.

as for JSF itself, it has already been pushed to the store but waiting approval from the Asset Store Team...:)

Thanks for your interest :)

15. kurayami88

kurayami88

**UPDATE**

JMFP has been upgraded to v2 ... it has lots of neat stuff the new JSF engine has. However, compatibility will definitely be an issue if you are upgrading from v1. hopefully nothing too much is broken. Please always remember to backup your project before any major changes :)

---------

p.s.> the new JSF engine was rejected by the asset store due to a new distribution policy i wasnt aware of... in any case, i cant distribute it as it is how i have been distributing JMFP.
    as such, JMFP v2.0 will also be pending until this distribution issue is resolved.... sigh sigh...

----------
    p.s.s.> if you would like direct access to the asset rather than going through the 3rd party asset store. I can provide a semi-official alternative... * I have previously (as well as currently) using a shared google drive as a medium of distribution *
    if you prefer direct access over the asset store, please contact me :)

16. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

How do I contact you.

17. kurayami88

kurayami88

18. kurayami88

kurayami88

** UPDATE **

JMFP 2D Toolkit & Unity 2D versions are now completed for release.... *** will submit to store and see if it gets rejected just JSF *cross-fingers that it may be a different staff assessing it =S ***

here is the current changelog... it's very exciting!!! *well at least for me...*
    ##############
    Changelog
    ##############

v2.0.0
    -------------------------

### Upgraded entire JMFP game engine ###

* (New) Hex game mode

* (New) Appear mode for new pieces. ( might be pointless in JMF though )

* (New) All boards have 'neighouring board' references for easy and precise access

* (New) Piece/Panel onClick function in each custom piece/panel script.
    Calling function in JMFRelay also updated.

* Suggested pieces tween coding now more fluid

* Upgraded the 'Audio Player' script to be more efficient and simple to use!

* Upgraded Landslide effect logic

* Custom Pieces now have the option to trigger 'landslide effect'

* PieceTracker script now collider dependant (instead of specified distance)
    It is super accurate now!

* other minor bugfixes...

19. VectorNector

VectorNector

If anyone is having issues with gamemanger.cs file found in the area 51 folder when you import the 2D Toolkit package, just import from the Unity 2D package and you should be good to go.

20. kurayami88

kurayami88

Hi,
    the 2D Toolkit version requires the asset "2D Toolkit" which is not included in JMFP. If you have the required asset, please import it into your project to fix this specific error.

If you do not own, or do not wish to use 2D Toolkit as the default GUI for JMFP, you are most welcome to use the Unity2D version :)

21. lakmal1975

lakmal1975

Any news on your new asset ( Jewel Swipe Framework )?

22. kurayami88

kurayami88

Hi,
    Thx for your interest... the Asset Store is giving me problems and rejecting the upload due to regulations on the filetypes and structure I upload them... i'm in the process of finding out what exactly they want me to do but their response is infamously slow...

sigh

23. kurayami88

kurayami88

Version: 2.0.0 (Nov 03, 2014)

dafuq :O
    lolx... Unity Asset Store accepted JMFP (and without telling me...) but declined JSF which has the same upload structure... cannot brain!!!!

in the mean time... pls enjoy v2 of JMFP :)

24. kurayami88

kurayami88

~UPDATE~
    ===========

There seems to be a bug in JMFP 2.0.0 2D-Toolkit version... upon import there is an error log which states it cannot find JSFGravity in GameManager.cs
    I have no idea why it did not complain in the main project and just works ( it should actually complain about this! ). As such, the official release for the 2D Toolkit version is bugged.

to fix this :-
    simply go to the GameManager.cs script and change "JSFGravity" to just "Gravity".
    *note :- JSFGravity belongs to JSF engine script for comptibility reason to work along side JMFP without errors :)

will push v2.0.1 for 2D Toolkit version just for this simple fix =/

25. Nagarjuna201

Nagarjuna201

hi working with jmf pro latest version v2.0 in mobile device (android )swipes are not working accurately please fix the issue

26. kurayami88

kurayami88

thx for the report... tested and it seems to be bugged... only works sometimes... strange... will check it out thx!

27. kurayami88

kurayami88

Thx for the report... there is a strange occurrence in Android whereby the OnMouseEnter() is called simultaneously when OnMouseDown() is being called...this behaviour does not occur in unity editor.

i have revised the PieceTracker.cs script to accommodate for this unity bug... it actually made me rewrote a more efficient code... lolx... please replace the affected script in your project and it should work fine :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx93u3B1G5VcOWVObFlCdGJIR1U/view?usp=sharing

----
    i will re-push the bugfix to the store asap

28. Nagarjuna201

Nagarjuna201

thank you for support i"ll checkout:)

29. Nagarjuna201

Nagarjuna201

its working great...Thank U

30. kurayami88

kurayami88

yey! :cool:

31. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

Hi Kurayami,

Can you tell me how I can show scoretoreach from winning script in the side panel.

Regards

John

32. kurayami88

kurayami88

just like any other string variable... just make a new TextMesh / tk2dTextMesh on the scene and reference it. You can then use 'yourTextReference'.text = "scoreToReach";

for an example of this... please refer to the WinningConditions.cs script as I have already put similar codes for "remainingMoves" and "remainingTime" :)

33. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

Hi Kurayami,

Thankyou, done

kurayami88 likes this.
  34. UnityHB

UnityHB

Hi Kuraymi,

Looking to increase the size of the scorehudtext, cant seem to figure it out any suggestions. also I am looking to adjust the animations like nomoremoves but does not seem to simulate in particle system.

Thanks

Hendrick

35. kurayami88

kurayami88

the ScoreHUD is auto re-sized according to the the board. You can however change the allocated size for it.
    in the HUDPopUp.cs script... please modify the following line...

2DToolkit version :-
    Bounds bounds = myLabel.GetEstimatedMeshBoundsForString("12345"); // simulate 5 chars spacing
    ** you can reduce the number of character in the quote to give less space allowance thus increasing the size.
    e.g. Bounds bounds = myLabel.GetEstimatedMeshBoundsForString("123"); // simulate 3 chars spacing

Unity2D version :-
    myLabel.text = "123456";
    Bounds bounds = JMFUtils.findObjectBounds( gameObject ) ; // simulate 6 chars spacing
    ** you can reduce the number of character in the quote to give less space allowance thus increasing the size.
    e.g. myLabel.text = "123";

-------------------

The current script's feature is to preset a specific size during game start and re-use the size each time it shows. However, you can actually make it resize dynamically if you want to.
    The only downside for this is that it takes a bit more processing. So use dynamic scaling at your own risk.

modify the following function within the HUDPopUp.cs script

2D Toolkit version of dynamic scaling:-

// show the score with timing
    public IEnumerator showMe(){
    GameManager gm = JMFUtils.gm;
    myLabel.scale = Vector3.one; // resets the scale first...
    myLabel.Commit();

Bounds bounds = JMFUtils.findObjectBounds( gameObject ) ; // get the new dynamic bounds

showSize = new Vector3(Mathf.Clamp(gm.size / bounds.size.x,0.0000001f,float.MaxValue),
    gm.size / Mathf.Clamp(bounds.size.x,0.0000001f,float.MaxValue),
    gm.size / Mathf.Clamp(bounds.size.z,0.0000001f,float.MaxValue) );

myLabel.scale = showSize; // show it (makes it pop-out big)
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.4f); // wait for time
    myLabel.scale = hideSize; // end with nothing
    }

Unity2D version of dynamic scaling:-

// show the score with timing
    public IEnumerator showMe(){
    GameManager gm = JMFUtils.gm;
    transform.localScale = Vector3.one; // resets the scale first...

Bounds bounds = JMFUtils.findObjectBounds( gameObject ) ; // get the new dynamic bounds

showSize = new Vector3(Mathf.Clamp(gm.size / bounds.size.x,0.0000001f,float.MaxValue),

myLabel.scale = showSize; // show it (makes it pop-out big)
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.4f); // wait for time
    myLabel.scale = hideSize; // end with nothing
    }

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  36. UnityHB

UnityHB

Great thank you works, do you have a tutorial to change from using 2d toolkit to Unity2d

37. kurayami88

kurayami88

no there isnt a tutorial... it is basically just removing 2D toolkit feature in replace for Unity2D counterparts.
    e.g. > tk2dTextMesh into TextMesh
    e.g. > tk2dSprites into SpriteRenderer

and removing other 2Dtoolkit related script functions...

if you want to change GUI, use the Unity2D version as it is easier to change from there..
    if you want to use Unity2D, just use the Unity2D version instead

38. UnityHB

UnityHB

OK this is what I started....for some reason I cannot simulate the animations using partical system.

39. kurayami88

kurayami88

ScoreHUD is hardcoded to use text only... if you want to use a sprite and/or particles, you will need to modify the HUDPopUp.cs script to accomodate your desired outcome

40. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

Hi Kurayami,

I am looking to change the gems, and see that you have a Texture folder and a Gems Prefab, my sprites are in the asset folder but when I try to change one they do not appear in the selection.
    Would I need to create a new Prefab or Atlas.
    I use Unity 4.6 and JMF Pro unity2D

Thanks

John

41. kurayami88

kurayami88

I am guessing you are not familiar with Unity2D.... when you import your textures... ensure that they are of texture type "sprites (2D/uGUI)"

you should also perhaps watch some unity2D tutorials to help you learn how to use Unity GUI... Unity4.6 beta allows you to do more with sprites than the current Unity4.5 which allows you to set sprite resolutions as well as do clipping as sliced sprites etc etc... more powerful :)

42. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

Hi Kurayami,

No, I am slowly learning Unity as I go along, have watched a multitude of videos and refering to the manual.
    I generally make apps for IOS and started to make a match 3 using objective C, my first attempt at a game but realised it would be better to target more platforms using Unity.

I do not have a problem importing the sprites and in IOS used TexturePacker and sliced my sprites but I am trying to follow your method of coding here and just having a hard time learning and decipher your code.

I really do not understand why the gems are in a prefab.

Regards

John

43. kurayami88

kurayami88

Thanks for asking...
    JMFP is designed to be a very flexible engine.... it will accept anything you use as a 'game piece/gem" ... you can use a 3d model as a piece... or even a particle system... hence the reason why it accepts a "GameObject" type prefab of which the prefab could be anything you want. literally...anything! not limited to sprites!

you can even use a prefab that consist of multiple sprites and/or particle systems into a single prefab and JMFP will show your prefab without any problems (intended to, but untested... so far tested for 3d objects it works flawlessly :) )...
    the only thing you have to be careful about is the performance hit for the type of objects you use as a game piece as you know mobile hardwares are not that great.

44. shoni-wheeler

shoni-wheeler

Hi Kurayami,

The one thing it also needs I think is a way to add levels from a file, most match 3 games have hundreds of levels. It seems like a lot of overhead to have that many scenes.

In IOS I used a Json file to setup the board, a 9 x 9, the 0 to indicate Empty tile, 1 the normal tile, 2 ice tile and so on.

You could sell it as an add on option, does not need to be incorporated with JMF Pro, that is already underpriced for such an amazing framework, and your continual updates and support.

Code (JavaScript):
    1. {
    2.     "tiles" : [[0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0 ],
    3.                [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 ],
    4.                [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 ],
    5.                [1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1 ],
    6.                [1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1 ],
    7.                [1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1 ],
    8.                [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 ],
    9.                [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 ],
    10.                [0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0 ] ],
    12.     "gametype"  : maxmoves,
    13.     "targetScore" : 1000,
    14.     "moves" : 10,
    15. }
    Regards

John

45. kurayami88

kurayami88

Thanks for your interest... this proposal has been brought up before... I had concluded long ago that scenes was a more effective way to edit a level; and that each additional scene had quite minimal overhead as appose to a single big file with details of each level (which will be very messy very quickly when things go large) as well as could get really ugly if updates/changes are concerned.

-----------------------------------------------------

but there are programmers that prefer a coded point of view ... and it's not impossible... just some thing I didn't find the time to make a proper script for it...

what you would need is a script that will convert your level format into JMFP's engine... (very similar to what BoardLayout.cs script is currently doing)
    you can refer to BoardLayout.cs for a general idea on how to configure the level...

in addition, since you shown that you would also like to configure the win conditions of the level; the control variables in WinningConditions.cs script are all public and thus you can also change it via an external control script.

you can easily call and reference something from the WinningConditions.cs script via calling "JMFUtils.wc" which will return the associated script... then you can further access the variable within it.
    e.g.> JMFUtils.wc.scoreToReach = xx ??

-----------------------

You can refer to this document for some coding help... and/or ask, contribute etc :) ... it's an editable document :)
    http://goo.gl/quVcTH

the part you might be most interested in for your script to set the levels is
    board[x,y].piece.convertToSpecialNoDestroy(PieceDefinition pd, int newSlotNum) *slotNum is the color* or typically '0' for special pieces.
    &
    board[x,y].panel.setType(PanelDefinition pnd, int strength)

of which this allows you to set the piece and panels types dynamically (in your case, on level load before game starts)

----------------
    note:- your example array
    "tiles" : [[0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0 ],
    [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 ],
    [1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1 ],
    [1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1 ],
    [1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1 ],
    [0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0 ] ],

is quite insufficient as there are up to four variables for each board...
    1) the panel type
    2) the panel strength
    3) the piece type
    4) the piece skin/color index (you can randomize the color... refer to BoardLayout.cs on how this was done)

46. UnityHB

UnityHB

Thanks again im working to change scripts to unity2d the below script is producing a very blurry font. let me know if you see an issue:

Vector3hideSize = Vector3.zero;

//Usethisforinitialization
    voidAwake () {
    myLabel = GetComponent<TextMesh>();
    GameManagergm = JMFUtils.gm;
    myLabel.text = "123";
    Boundsbounds = JMFUtils.findObjectBounds( gameObject ) ; //simulate3charsspacing

showSize = newVector3(Mathf.Clamp(gm.size / bounds.size.x,0.0000001f,float.MaxValue),

JMFUtils.Bake(gameObject.transform); //transferthescaleto2dtoolkitinternalscaling
    transform.localScale = hideSize; //initiallyhidden
    }

//calledbyexternalscript (GameManager) todisplaytheScoreHUD
    publicvoiddisplay(intscore){
    myLabel.text = "+" + score.ToString();
    StopCoroutine("showMe");
    StartCoroutine("showMe");
    }

//showthescorewithtiming
    publicIEnumeratorshowMe(){
    transform.localScale = showSize; //showit (makesitpop-outbig)
    yieldreturnnewWaitForSeconds(0.6f); //waitfortime
    transform.localScale = hideSize; //endwithnothing

47. kurayami88

kurayami88

there shouldn't be anything wrong with the script... Unity TextMesh itself has several properties for fonts...
    go back to your prefab which contains the TextMesh and set the 'Character Size' to about 0.5 or so...
    then set the 'font size' to be big enough as you like... once it looks sharp enough for the size you want, save the prefab...

---------------

btw, please don't mix and match the script provided... please use the default from from the appropriate version. if you just want the Unity2D version of the HUDPopUp.cs script, just import ONLY that script from the Unity2D version...
    if you want to convert the engine entirely and stop using 2D Toolkit, please import the Unity2D version entirely.

It is very hard for me to help you if you mix and match without you yourself knowing exactly what you are doing.

48. UnityHB

UnityHB

got it thank you

kurayami88 likes this.
  49. NeoUnity

NeoUnity

JMFP's Update is more fantastic. Thanks a lot Kurayami.
    I have two errors or bugs(my situation : 2d toolkit & android platform)
    1) In Hexagon board type mode, the panel size is not adjusted. Then, Only panels are bigger than hexagon size.
    2) On Normal Piece's Landslide effect is checking(all Square &Hexagon mode) , Then, normal pieces are continuously down like as rain without stopping.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  50. kurayami88

kurayami88

Hi @NeoUnity
    will check on number 2... number 1 is not a bug... i just did not include a proper asset for the hex board aside from the default back panel... :p
    you can add your own hex-shaped panel GUI and it should work fine :)

NeoUnity likes this.