Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Jelly Sprites - Soft body sprite physics system

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mrsquare, Dec 5, 2013.

1. mrsquare

mrsquare

Hey,

If you take a look at the debug output window, have you got a message like this:

"Layer XXX' is set to collide with itself - soft body physics will not work as intended. Please disable collisions between this layer and itself (Edit->Project Settings->Physics 2D)"?

2. dumbat

dumbat

Gaah dang it yes I have got that message - thanks for your help!

3. EricM

EricM

Hello,
    Great script! It works very well right out the box, however, I'm having trouble getting my scripts to receive collision events. I'm using javascript (problem?) and do something like:

Code (csharp):
    1. function OnJellyCollisionEnter2D(collision:JellySprite.JellyCollision2D) {}
    Unfortunately, unity doesn't recognize the type (JellySprite.JellyCollision2D). Any tips on interfacing this plugin with javascript? (i.e. not C#)

Thanks!

4. mrsquare

mrsquare

Heya - yep, it should be totally possible to reference C# from Javascript - just follow these steps:

1) Create a folder in your Project hierarchy called Assets\Plugins (if it doesn't already exist)
    2) Move the main JellySprites folder into the Assets\Plugins folder
    3) Move the Assets\Plugins\JellySprites\Editor folder up one level (so its new path is Assets\Plugins\Editor)

So the final structure should look like this:

$FolderStruct.png

But yeah, in general, if you ever need to reference C# stuff from Javascript, then the C# scripts need to live in the 'Plugins' folder. A bit more info about it here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/ScriptCompileOrderFolders.html

I'd like to go back and make it so that Jelly Sprites is installed to those folders automatically when you first import it, but unfortunately that would break upgrading the package via the asset store, so I'll have to leave it as-is :(

5. EricM

EricM

Excellent. Thanks again! This plugin really opens up the imagination.

6. McSteed

McSteed

How would the system handle rotation? Like if I wanted to make a squishy wheel.

Also, was Leo Fortune done with Jelly Sprite?

7. mrsquare

mrsquare

You can rotate a Jelly Sprite, no problem - from my experience, its pretty hard to make them rotate naturally though. As in, if you just put a circular Jelly Sprite on a slope, it'll be more likely to just deform and slide down the slope rather than rolling down it like a wheel. Fixing that might just be a case of setting up the correct friction values though, and maybe also have a bit of manual influence from a script to subtly rotate the Jelly Sprite in the direction of travel.

Not to my knowledge, but maybe! Certainly looks to using a similar bit of tech :)

8. maltadirk

maltadirk

Hey mrsquare,
    very nice tool!
    I'm still contemplating of whether to go with Jelly Physics or Jelly Sprite will be better. Can you please specify where your tool is better.
    #1 Did you manage to test out performance on mobile devices (iphone 4 and up)?
    #2 Would it be possible to have Jelly Sprite do the following: http://www.mukow.com/Unlisted/WebDemo/WebDemo.html.
    #3 I noticed you specified that something like Leo's Fortune is np to do right. Would be great if you could verify performance on mobile.
    #4 MOST IMPORTANT: Does Jelly Sprite work with Edge Colliders?

Keep up the good work ;)

9. mrsquare

mrsquare

Heya,

1) Mobile performance is good - I use Jelly Sprites on the main character in my own game and get 60fps on an iPhone 4s quite happily (that's the lowest spec device I have). That's with a load of other systems running at the same time too. The code itself really isn't very costly - the performance is entirely dependent on:

- Number of rigid bodies springs being simulated
    - Number of vertices in the Jelly Sprite's mesh

You have total control over both of those factors. The number of rigid bodies depends on the number of Jelly Sprites you want to have active at once and the body layouts of each (circle, triangle, square, etc.). The number of vertices is sort of a visual-quality thing and can be controlled by a slider in the inspector.

If you're running on a mobile device, you just need to be realistic and treat Jelly Sprites as you would any other part of the physics system - don't expect to have hundreds of them active at once, and you should be fine :) My rough CPU budget is 1 Jelly Sprite == 8 normal physics objects (just assuming a basic circular body configuration)

2) Yep, don't see why not. That's just a simple Jelly character with forces being applied via mouse input, unless I'm missing something?. You should be able to make something very similar.

3) Definitely. I've not played the game myself, but as with that web demo, it looks like its just a single Jelly-like player character but the rest of the world is just standard non-Jelly geometry? It should have very low performance impact in that case.

4) Yup. Jelly Sprites doesn't use any custom physics, it's all done with the standard Unity rigid bodies and colliders, so will be totally compatible with any other Unity rigid body/collider type.

The demo you linked to is basically a Unity implementation of the open source Walaber JellyPhysics engine, which was famously used in that JellyCar game a few years back. This is what I'd call a 'proper' soft body system - its very good at accurately simulating a whole world of Jelly-like objects, but is probably overkill if you're purely wanting to have a simple Jelly effect on a limited number of characters/objects. I get the impression that its fairly complicated to set up, and since it uses a lot of custom physics it's not 100% compatible with other Unity physics objects (edge colliders being a case in point). Jelly Sprites has the advantage of being totally Unity based, with no custom physics - so while its simpler, it'll also be much easier to integrate into an existing project.

10. maltadirk

maltadirk

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. You just made another sale ;)
    Look forward to using your tool

11. JJones

JJones

Hi!

A beginners-problem probably, but still:

I apply the kind of jump-action from your demo-scene and everything works fine with the force I choose, but when I (from within the game) set the time-scale of the game to speed it up, the jump height gets totally exaggerated. I'd like the height/force to remain constant, regardless of the time-scale of the game. How could I fix this?

Thanks!

12. mrsquare

mrsquare

Hey - theoretically, speeding up the time scale should make the game behave exactly the same (only faster). Just trying it out in the Jelly Sprites demo scene, and setting the timescale to eg. 10, the blobs don't show any difference in jump height, the demo just looks as though its running in fast-forward mode.

Are you perhaps applying your forces over multiple frames? If the player is pressing a button to jump, make sure that you're only applying the force on the very first frame that the button is pressed, otherwise when the game is sped up you'll be adding multiple forces over shorter space of time, so they'll add together and affect the height. If you do need to apply forces over multiple frames, you can try scaling the force by Time.DeltaTime (or Time.FixedDeltaTime if you're applying them in FixedUpdate()), which should make them timescale independent.

13. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi, quick question, I am trying to change the scale of my Jelly Sprites during runtime which works fine, except that the reference point colliders do not update... I have tried resizing the reference point SphereColliders but it just causes my Jelly Sprites to go all screwy... :-(

Any ideas how I can get this to work?

14. mrsquare

mrsquare

Hi Greg - apologies, I'm away on holiday at the mo so can't check out the code just now. Generally, just scaling the gameobject directly can produce some weird results, if you're not already then using the SpriteScale variable on the Jelly Sprite is generally the correct way to do it (although I can't remember if it supports adjusting that value at runtime or not)

15. OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Hi MrSquare!

Jelly Sprite is an awesome plug-in, so thanks :)

I have a question in regards to sprites hitting each other. Is there a way to make the jellysprites join together when they hit each other?

Cheers

16. JAMiller

JAMiller

Tried upgrading to 4.5 today, things mostly seemed to work, but my jellysprites are acting quite erradic. They start off looking normal, but as I jump around the points start moving around at a jagged random speed, not natural looking, forming sharp points or collapsing. At first its subtle but seems to build up and get worse. Eventually it starts going nuts and flying around, inverting itself... then, sometimes, seems to snap back into shape and behave well again.

Anyone else having these issues? Wondering if there's some setting I can use to mitigate it.. Also wondering when JellySprites might be updated to use Physics2D.IgnoreCollision instead of layers...

Thanks!

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  17. JohnML

JohnML

I'm having issues with Sprite Slicer now as well. After upgrading to Unity 4.5, sprite slicer works fine in the Unity editor, but in an iOS build, it crashes when run on my devices.

18. mrsquare

mrsquare

Hi - there isn't any built in functionality for doing that, but the best way would probably be to listen for collisions between two Jelly Sprite reference points, and then add a spring joint connecting the two :)

19. mrsquare

mrsquare

For the guys having issues with 4.5 - thanks for letting me know. I'm away on holiday at the moment but will check it out when I get back next week. And yep, I should be able to use the new 2D IgnoreCollisions functionality to remove the separate layer requirement when running in 2D mode :)

20. JohnML

JohnML

To help give you a head start next week ... In SpriteSlicer2D.cs | InitFromUnitySprite, sMaterialList[loop].mainTexture is null (after the first call when the material gets set up), so it's crashing when attempting to compare s_MaterialList[loop].mainTexture.GetInstanceID(). Works fine in the Unity editor, but crashes on iOS 6.1 and 7.1. :(

21. jgalvezpa

jgalvezpa

Hi hey do you know how can i make the jelly to be moving all the time, like movement of a real jelly but that never stop moving

22. JohnML

JohnML

If anyone has a crash with SpriteSlicer on iOS with Unity 4.5, here's a temp fix until MrSquare can get an update out:

Go to SpriteSlicer2D.cs and find the function:

public void InitFromUnitySprite(SpriteRenderer unitySprite, PolygonCollider2D polygon)

Where the material is being setup, change this line:

material.SetTexture(0, unitySprite.sprite.texture);

to this:

material.mainTexture = unitySprite.sprite.texture;

or this:

material.SetTexture("_MainTex", unitySprite.sprite.texture);

Either one will work, though I prefer the first one in case Unity ever changes the string value.

23. JAMiller

JAMiller

mrsquare thanks for the update, and thank JohnML for that fix!

Here's a capture of the problem I'm experiencing with 4.5:

http://gfycat.com/InsecureDazzlingEskimodog

I don't have attach neighbors on (I've found it prevents them from flipping in 2D), my spring strength is 4 and 0.1 damping. I do have two attached together (body legs is 1, head is 1), but i detached them and they still have the same problem.

Everything else seems to work fine but my jellysprites get tangled very easy. Will be looking forward to any updates or advice on how to fix, and am holding off on upgrading to 4.5 with this project.

Update: I got things working better by bring down the mass significantly (using 1 as global mass), and toning down all the forces I was using. It now behaves okay, but still more jagged than before and occasionally loses its shape and goes nuts for a while. The good is it seems now with Unity 4.5 you can push the jelly sprites much faster/farther with AddForce now.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  24. OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Hi Again
    I have one more question
    I used 2d toolkit and have noticed that if using this, you have to ensure that sprites ARENT rotated when building the sprite collection. if you do use rotation (which helps in saving space in a sprite sheet), and create a jelly sprite, the sprite always comes out rotated and the incorrect proportions. Is there a way around this?
    Thanks

25. mrsquare

mrsquare

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I had a similar issue with my Sprite Slicer asset, so highly likely that it's the same bug. Should be an easy fix, I'll take a look when I get back :)

26. OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Great, thank you!

27. Tanshaydar

Tanshaydar

Hi,
    I guess there is no way to make a jelly sprite without using AddForce, right?
    I mean not with transform update, it looks too static, like teleported.

28. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi mrsquare,

Using m_SpriteScale has no effect at runtime, so that's why I am using the gameobject, but as I say the referencepoint colliders do not update... :-(

29. mrsquare

mrsquare

No, not really, if you want it to still interact properly with other objects in the scene.

However, if you look in the Update() method in JellySprite.cs, and delete this line:

Code (csharp):
    2. this.transform.position = m_CentralPoint.GameObject.transform.position;
    then this will prevent the Jelly Sprite from automatically updating its position, so you can move it around manually using transform.position but it will still retain its Jelly properties.

I use this in my own game that I'm working on - I basically want the main body of my main character to be a Jelly Sprite, but I also need very precise control over the position of the character. To achieve this, I set the central body of the Jelly Sprite to be kinematic, then disable the automatic position updating (as above) and move the the Jelly Sprite gameobject around manually. When I want to make the character's body wobble, I just apply a force to the Jelly Sprite.

30. mrsquare

mrsquare

Thanks very much for that John - have just submitted an update so should be out shortly :)

31. mrsquare

mrsquare

No problem - fix has just gone in for this too, just waiting for Unity QA to approve it.

32. JohnML

JohnML

Great. Thanks!

33. comradehac

comradehac

Hi mrsquare,

Just want to let you know that this same bug that JohnML reported in SpriteSlicer in Unity 4.5 affects Jelly Sprites too. You probably realized that, but just in case I thought I'd let you know. I tried his fix today and it worked fine.

Thanks JohnML for figuring this out, and thanks mrsquare for being so responsive in this thread!

34. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

35. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi mrsquare,

Another quick question, apologies in advance if its been asked before, do you know of an easy way I can Billboard the JellySprites? I want to use them in a scene with a perspective camera.

I added a script that works with a quad, but I know the JellySprites are different and use the reference points etc, I guess need a rotate equivalent of the MoveJellySprite example...

Any help greatly appreciated!

36. Leuthil

Leuthil

I'm curious about this, if a Jelly Bridge was possible to make, would it be possible to make a Jelly Rope? And if so how difficult would that be?

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Mrsquare

Great addon :)

If you have a jellysprite on the xy axis, is it possible to rotate it across the y axis, as if the character was turning around?

Is it possible to remove attach points at runtime?

If you toggle flip horizontal/vertical at run time, the attachpoints don't go with it, so if you wanted to flip a player carrying something it wouldn't work?

Thanks

38. mrsquare

mrsquare

I'd have thought so, yeah - just create a long/thin Jelly Sprite using the 'grid' configuration and that should work. You'd need to manually set a couple of points to be kinematic if you wanted to attach the ends to something.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (there are lots of '2D rope' asset store package that I'm sure would do a better job!) but you're welcome to try it :p

39. mrsquare

mrsquare

Hey. If you'd like to manually rotate the sprite, open up JellySprite.cs and change this line:

Code (csharp):
    1. this.transform.rotation = m_CentralPoint.GameObject.transform.rotation;
    to:

Code (csharp):
    1. Vector3 rotation = this.transform.eulerAngles;
    2. rotation.z = m_CentralPoint.GameObject.transform.eulerAngles.z;
    3. this.transform.eulerAngles = rotation;
    You can then just rotate the sprite as normal around the X or Y axis.

Its worth noting that by doing this you'll be able to flip the sprite, but won't update the mapping of rigid bodies->mesh vertices. You'll potentially get some weird issues where the Jelly Sprite will eg. get deformed on the left hand side but the deformation will appear on the right hand side of the sprite... If you want to flip the sprite properly, the best thing to do would probably be rotate the sprite using the above method, and once it has flipped a full 180 degrees, quickly toggle the flip horizontal flag and set the rotation back to zero.

I'll take a look at adding the ability to remove attach points over the weekend, and also flipping them if you flip the sprite - that would be a nice feature.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

hey
    thanks

i can live with just flipping the sprite instead of rotating it around Y to make it look like its rotating to a flip position, but yes without the attach points moving with the sprite flip, its impossible to use. I'd make [attach points flipping] the top bug priority over the other things I mention.

Thanks

41. mrsquare

mrsquare

Okay, give this a shot - just replace the existing SetFlipHorizontal/SetFlipVertical functions in JellySprite.cs with these:

Code (csharp):
    1. /// <summary>
    2. /// Flip the sprite vertically
    3. /// </summary>
    4. public void SetFlipHorizontal(bool flipHorizontal)
    5. {
    6.     if(flipHorizontal != m_FlipX)
    7.     {
    8.         m_FlipX = flipHorizontal;
    9.         UpdateTextureCoords();
    11.         for(int loop = 0; loop < m_AttachPoints.Length; loop++)
    12.         {
    13.             Vector3 offset = m_InitialAttachPointPositions[loop];
    14.             Vector3 rotation = m_AttachPoints[loop].localEulerAngles;
    15.             offset.x *= -1.0f;
    16.             rotation.y = m_FlipX ? 180.0f : 0.0f;
    17.             m_InitialAttachPointPositions[loop] = offset;
    18.             m_AttachPoints[loop].localEulerAngles = rotation;
    19.         }
    20.     }
    21. }
    23. /// <summary>
    24. /// Flip the sprite vertically
    25. /// </summary>
    26. public void SetFlipVertical(bool flipVertical)
    27. {
    28.     if(flipVertical != m_FlipY)
    29.     {
    30.         m_FlipY = flipVertical;
    31.         UpdateTextureCoords();
    33.         for(int loop = 0; loop < m_AttachPoints.Length; loop++)
    34.         {
    35.             Vector3 offset = m_InitialAttachPointPositions[loop];
    36.             Vector3 rotation = m_AttachPoints[loop].localEulerAngles;
    37.             offset.y *= -1.0f;
    38.             rotation.x = m_FlipY ? 180.0f : 0.0f;
    39.             m_InitialAttachPointPositions[loop] = offset;
    40.             m_AttachPoints[loop].localEulerAngles = rotation;
    41.         }
    42.     }
    43. }
    So basically, this'll just take each of the attach points and flip their initial position around the center of the sprite so that they'll now be anchored to the same point on the opposite side. It'll also rotate them 180 degrees around the appropriate axis, which will make sure that they're now facing the opposite direction.

Seems to work nicely in the demo scene - let me know if that works for you and I'll try to roll it out in a future update :)

42. Leuthil

Leuthil

Ha thanks. Yeah there are a lot of assets out there but it would be funny to see how it works. I'll give it a try and post back my results :).

43. AVOlight

AVOlight

Hi,

I've been trying to get this to work with my outlier setup
    All help is much appreciated

I use a plugin that renders my characters on mesh renderer planes
    I've tried using the jelly sprites and jelly mesh components but neither shows the colliders
    jelly mesh does show a rotating, deforming texture after I hit play
    body configuration is set to circle

one problem is the plane and the texture rendered to the plane aren't the same size,
    the plane acts like a screen for the rendered texture
    I normally use a 2d collider on the parent gameobject to define its shape

the only thing i can think of that's similar is ragesplines dynamic meshes

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  44. mrsquare

mrsquare

Hey - would you be able to send me a copy of your project folder so that I can take a look?

45. SilenceIsGolden

SilenceIsGolden

I am trying to create a grid of Jelly Objects that when they fall, they stay on top of each other properly. So you can stack them up with no x deviation. Similar to match 3 games, they fall from +y and stay on top of each other. Now, I am trying to put all objects into a box, and leave some wiggle room for them to bounce a bit. but, if I put them into a box collider everything goes south, what can be done?

46. mrsquare

mrsquare

Hey - presumably because you're adding a collider to the Jelly Sprite gameobject, it is colliding with the Jelly Sprite physics bodies and going a bit crazy (as you end up with colliders inside other colliders, and the physics system's default reaction is to try to move them outside).

Your best bet is probably:
    - Set up a totally separate gameobject with a rigid body and box collider
    - Enable the 'Kinematic Central Body' flag on your Jelly Sprite.
    - At runtime, just parent the central Jelly Sprite physics body to the box collider object. You'd just need a really simple little script on the box object - eg.

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class JellyBoxParent : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     // Drag your Jelly Sprite into this field in the inspector
    8.     public JellySprite jellySprite;
    10.     void Update ()
    11.     {
    12.        // Attach the Jelly Sprite central body to this gameobject. (I'm doing
    13.        // this in Update() to ensure that the Jelly Sprite is given time to
    14.        // initialize - it'd be neater to do it in Awake(), but you'd also need
    15.        // to fiddle with the script execution order settings to ensure that this script
    16.        // always runs after the Jelly Sprite has been configured)
    17.        if(jellySprite.CentralPoint.transform.parent != this.transform)
    18.        {
    19.           jellySprite.CentralPoint.transform.parent = this.transform;
    20.           jellySprite.SetPosition(this.transform.position, true);
    21.        }
    22.     }
    23. }

47. Leuthil

Leuthil

For anyone curious I tried making a "Jelly Rope" and it didn't work out that well haha.

48. Datates

Datates

Hi, first of all, pretty sweet plugin, the jelly looks great! I've found a few bugs though:

- Checking the "Attach Neighbors" will prevent the Jelly Sprite from rotating: http://i.imgur.com/4V3kGkS.png
    - Using the Grid style body will give a NullReferenceException at line 2045 in the JellySprite Update method. This is because there is no CentralPoint in the Grid. (Changing it to Free mode after selecting Grid will create the CentralPoint and works as a temporary fix.)

Edit:
    It also appears there is no collision between jellysprites when using 2d physics, due to the layer setting requirement.

Edit 2:
    Got the collision working - the layer setting requirement was merely a wrongly placed check that is safe to remove.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  49. Gabahulk

Gabahulk

Hi mrsquare,
    I was wondering if it's possible for one softbody to wrap another softbody without any animations, just using your plugin. If not, do you have any sugestions for a way that might work? I'm really new with unity...:(

Thanks!

50. AMNOD

AMNOD

dear mrsquare, nice plugin btw ;)
    i'm facing a problem in changing the material color:
    is use SetColor as follows:
    leftBlop.renderer.material.SetColor("_Color", new Color(221, 31, 44));
    it works with some colors but not that one specially, any clue what's wrong with that ?