Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

COUP D'ETAT Jagged Alliance Style Game in Progress!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Danirey, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Danirey

Danirey

Here is a video of the gameplay as i see it in my computer. I grab some vests and the first one works fine. The others goes to the bag and are set invisible. And as you can see, the enemies fly on impact. In fact you can see one problem i'm trying to solve, when too much force is applied to an arm. It becomes ELASTIC :D. I'm working on it.

I'll try to capture another gameplay from the webplayer. But i just play it today and i couldn't see too much difference.

If you guys can check if this is not what you see in the webplayer, please let me know to find what is going on.

Thanks! :D

inafield likes this.
  2. AthosK

AthosK

I will capture some footage and get back to you.

For the slow motion effect you can make the camera zoom in and also add some effect because it's hard to understand that is an effect and not a performance problem, like I'm doing it in my videos. It's fairly easy to do, just add to the field of view and have a script target the dying enemy. Some post processing effects you'll have to use anyway for the final build so start by adding some vignetting and some bloom if you haven't already.

I will have more when I make the video :p

3. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks man!

I don't have Unity Pro, so the effects will have to wait or find some free compatible solution like FXLab that i already have. (I'm not sure of performance using that…. but for simple effects could make it)

Anyway now is only for checking the impact effects in the ragdolls. I'll add in/out sounds to make it clear. I want to use it because when you hit an enemy in the head in slowmo you can see the blood flowing out in world space, which is cool, and which the shotgun at close range the body will fly away, which is cool to :p

Let's go step by step… I'll solve the problems you found in the first place and then will see…

Cheers!

4. AthosK

AthosK

I'm uploading it now, I made a video in fullscreen and it messed my capture because of the low resolution OBS decided to capture the second monitor, pfff so i had to remake it. Ragdolls have impact yes, when i said that i used the sniper rifle so it might need some change on the force of the sniper rifle (usually they have more force power than a shotgun). Some other stuff I would point with annotations on the video, for some reason it uploads it very slowly so it might take awhile.

See ya in a bit

p.s. you can get lots of effects that are in pro with basic by googling them, most people have remade them for the free anyhow

5. Danirey

Danirey

NICE!!!!

Weird! The Sniper is the gun with the highest impact force. The shotgun has less force but more bullets so if more than one bullet hits the rag doll, the force applied will be multiplied!

In the video i posted earlier, you can see that. I tried this morning the sniper and the enemies fly too when hitter…

I don't know what to say…

Thanks anyway for your help. Is easier for me to solve the problems with a visual reference ;)

i'll wait for the video, no problem!

Cheers,

6. AthosK

AthosK

Here it is

some annotations might be a little off but you'll get the idea

7. Danirey

Danirey

OK! Thank you so much! Pretty helpful!

Almost every problem is known. Except the vest problem. I'll try a different approach to the vest wearing and hidding. When crouch the vest seems to be offset because it is rigged with 3 bones positioned and rotated like the spine of the character. But this is not a good way obviously.

The enemy that disappear in the rocks is because the line of sight of the player is blocked by one rock. It is calculated based on one reference point so if the reference is the head and the head is blocked, even when you should see in the real world the rest of the body, he will disappear. I want to make 6 points ray cast to head chest arms and legs to make better. Is in the to do list already.

The stretched Armstong is there indeed. Do you know how to fix that? I will rework the dead function to solve some issues you didn't found yet, that i think are related with the rag doll transition. The enemies are kinematic rag dolls so no instantiation there. I'm getting NaN errors some times when the head explodes on a critical hit. And the elastic arm problem may come from there to… i don't know.

The endless turns are in the to do list too. :p

The grenade isn't operative yet. Well, it is, but the guy doesn't know how to throw it.. :D I want make the shooting system work properly before begin with the throwing system.

The white flying thing under the ground is the second vest that has an occluded shader and since it wasn't turned invisible correctly, it appears through the ground like the player through the trees and walls.

The esc key exits the aim mode to move again. I'll change the alt CTRL key to aim because the control key seams to be the left click mouse too. And in the aim mode with the right button you can cycle through the different aim precisions.
    This is only possible in fullscreen because the pop up menu. I'll make another alt key to be able to do it everywhere. (the same for enter in aim mode. Maybe left Alt)

And i'll add the current AP's of the player somewhere. I can see that in the log window, but in web player not obviously.

So the only thing left is the white borders in the characters in full screen. I think this is only a resolution problem. I'm learning how to manage different resolutions. So it will be fixed soon i hope.

So the main problems now are the vest placement and show/hide functions. The Stretch Armstrong problem, and the endless turns….

The guns you pick up after the one you use are correctly stored in the virtual bag, so as soon as i have a UI done, switching weapons will be possible. And the same thing with helmets and vests.

The AI needs to be improved in many ways, so that will be some hard work….

And i want to polish the timing of the player controller. To delay as few seconds as possible in every action. Like the delay when grabbing things and so…

Again i really appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot :D

8. AthosK

AthosK

I think the ragdoll might be something with the hinge joints, play around with them a little bit and you might fix it. I haven't work on them too much to really know.

for the vest i didn't exactly understand what you described, does the vest is already rigged with 3 bones and you mimic the rotation of the bodies rig? If that so then you must make sure that both armatures have their bones facing at the same direction at all times (which is a bitch to do). That floating vest though looks like a rigidbody problem though, maybe an IsKinematic is turned false somewhere?

I don't really know why it takes so long to pick up a weapon, the reality is, it shouldn't.

Another thing you can do is always check if an enemy is visible either to the player or to the camera and if they aren't don't bother with animations and movements, simply use transform.position and teleport them to their destination, but check if that position would be visible for the player (it's easily done than said) half of the waiting is right there.

You don't really need six raycast to see if you can see the enemy, just do one Spherecast (or SpherecastAll) with the radius kinda as big as the overall size of the characters and it would return if they hit any part, because if you do 6 raycast is a bit too much, especially if you have a lot of opponents, for instance the 5 you have in the demo it would be 6*5 = 30, that's too much to ask from a processing unit, especially if the physics engine has to calculate ragdolls and other rigidbodies. A good thing to do is let the dead bodies just be always visible but make the ragdoll kinematic (and even make the colliders triggers if you want, it's not that people would ever notice), nobody would care and you won't have to bother with additional raycasts. Every now and then check the profiler from windows/profiler to see how you are on performance, if you use a lot of physics it would show there.

how do you explode the head? Keep in mind that is better to disable an object than to destroy it, it has something to do with object dumping but i don't really understand it either, I've read it a lot though on forums and on reddit

One simple way to fake AI is put some gameobjects as waypoints, on position that you feel they look strategically and then make your enemies go for the closest one instead of just running up to the player. Start by doing this and then later you can add more variables to the positions like "Percentage of Player visible from there, Distance to player, Weapon the enemy is carrying, morale of the enemy, how many enemies are in front of the player? If they are a lot find a poisition that flanks him " and so on.

I think that's all for now, it might be a lot of work but i think that's the best thing one can have for his game, when I don't know what to do next I easily get right out depressed with my project.

Cheers!

9. Danirey

Danirey

:D I'm in love with you!!!!! :D

No, seriously. All this stuff is a huge push for me.

I didn't think the Spherecast. Is the way definitely. Nice one! Thanks a lot.

The enemies should be visible when dead. But i'm doing something wrong, because they don't. This is inside the rag doll/dead/splat/etc functions. I can disable the rigid bodies of the corpses, but then the player will go through them, instead of colliding and moving the part with collide. Or Maybe i can(don't know how yet) make these points of the terrain not walkable to avoid the problem…. (Im Inspired…. nice :D)

I was thinking the same to shorten the enemies turn. If they are visible, they behave as they do now, but if not, they will directly be moved to the target position. Nice one too. Will save a lot of time.

The head don't disappear, i set the scale to Zero. Maybe i have to remove his colliders and rigidbody. I have to play a little with that.

But all what you said pushes me to keep working and fix the problems we have right now. I think all is fixable, and this is the first step. Hope to upload the next build with something more enjoyable.

Thanks a lot man! ;)

Cheers!

10. AthosK

AthosK

I'm in love with me also :p

You should have a logic decision to as whether the enemy should show or not and not raycasting all the time, since you already keep track of AP make the raycasts only when they are decrease.

Making the area unwalkable would not be that wise, because if a lot of them die in front of a doorway and the player would have to go through then you'll have a problem there.

Scaling it down on runtime usually brings a world of trouble for the armature a lot of the times. In my game the head and arms that fly off, are actually two separate objects each. When they are cut off I simply disable the mesh renderer from the armature and enable the other one (again object pooling is a life saver) witch has rigidbody in it and a script that makes it fly off. But this is a job for a modeler to actually cut the model apart and make extra body parts.

I'm waiting for the next build anxiously!

11. Danirey

Danirey

Hi!!! :)

That is true, if a body blocks the door will be bad! :oops:
    You are right, make dead bodies Kinematic will be the answer with that.

The head thing is solved! :D I've reworked the entire ragdollification/dead function. Now it works really good. The NaN problem was happening because i was playing an animation at the same time it enters the rag doll. Now everything is set to keep an order and is working fine. I knew that was a huge mess…:confused:

At the same time, now is only applied force one time. So if 3 bullets hit the body, only the force of one bullet will be applied. Before the shotgun could make a guy fly 30 meters… I've added a torque too to make even a more random and cool fall, as you suggested before.

I've added AP indicators at the left bottom of the screen and updated the key help.(All this is temporary until the 4.6 newGUI arrives!)

More soon!

:cool:Cheers!

12. AthosK

AthosK

Nice to hear! Can't wait for it! :D

13. Danirey

Danirey

Well! Here we go again! :)

Some things are solved but some others not. I'll have to think in other way to make the characters SEE things. The SphereCast i though could be the way to go, is not! If i want to see with a ray cast, i have to be able to ray cast not only one tiny point, but a bigger area. The sphere cast is a thick line that will collide with all the things in his way. Thats not helping with this, because things that are not really blocking the point i'm checking will collide as well. And Spherecastall will require a lot of calculations more. So i'll had to find another way to do that. The first thing that comes to me is the same ray cast i use, but instead one pointing, let's say to the head of the target, will have 6 rays to the head torso arms and legs. But i don't know if this will be too much in terms of performance…..

Searching the forums i've found nice words like BOUNDS, but after checking it i can't see how to use that for this purpose.

So if there is no other solution, i could use the 6 ray cast but instead each frame, set a rate to save in performance. Of corse if the first ray hits the target, the other rays will never be fired. Now i'm making the soldiers see even in the enemy turn. Thats because if an enemy takes cover in his turn and the player can't see him, then it should be invisible.

For the enemies, they only see in his turn, and one at a time. So there won't be too much performance drop, unless the enemy have 50 soldiers in range, and i plan to allow 5 max!.

Anyway, i've no idea of how much ray cast are too much. On a thread about drawing a cone of sight people talk about 10k ray casts per frame… So i think 100(max) per frame won't hurt too much :D

Just thinking! :p

Cheers!

14. AthosK

AthosK

Since it's a turnbased game you don't really have to care that much about performance. The spherecastall you have to do it once every turn or once when you move. It's pretty easy to work with actually. Bounds is the same as having a trigger collider on the player and moving him around, which is another good way to do it but you will have to calculate the angles between the player and the enemy.

as for the spherecastall you just do this

1. RaycastHit[] hits =Physics.SphereCastAll(transform.position,radius,transform.right,0.0f);
    2. foreach(RaycastHit hit in hits)
    3. {
    4. if(hit.tag == "Enemy")
    5. {
    6. //you are seeing an enemy
    7. }
    8. }
    Keep in mind, that the enemies should not care if they see him or not but only if they are about to fire, and they should always know the position of the player as for the AI to act accordingly (go to the next cover that has visibility to the player).

All those things are fairly easy, let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers!

p.s. Don't always listen to what people are saying in the forums :p:p:p

15. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there! :)

But the SphereCastAll will get all colliders regardles they are blocked or not. Since this is a line of sight, if a wall is between the player and the enemy, using this he allways will be visible (if the rays length is enough) I Get the distance, if in range then i check if is in the field of view(110 degrees), and then if all the previous conditions are true, now is when i have to check if the enemy(all parts, not only one point ) is visible or blocked using the raycast. Or i'm not geting the point, or maybe i didn't mention that... :oops:

I get the other things you pointed :D.

Now i'm facing one really really really rare behavior with my bullets. One weapon applies damage to de enemy and others not. But the bullet is who send that message to apply damage to the enemy script, so this has no sense at all....:eek::confused::mad:

16. AthosK

AthosK

Hmm i'm conflicted and my mind has stopped working right now. I thought the spherecastAll would be the answer. I believe though that in JA did the calculations with one "raycast" and let the calculations decide where the bullet would hit, even if the player aimed at the head. This way when the player clicked on the enemy it changed the "ToHit" variable according to the body part so they didn't have to bother with more raycasts.

I think that 6 raycasts is a bit too much, just one to the torso should be enough, it's not that you are going to shoot the fingers of an enemy, you can put some ghost body indicating the place you last saw the enemy to give the player a hint or have a 1-2 turn free pass to the player (so they become invisible after 1-2 turns of not being able to see them, this way you are doing raycasts every other turn)

or better yet

Start eliminating some points you need to do raycasts, for example, the feet would never be in a different place than the chest so there goes 2 raycasts, the hand's are moving fast in reality so you wouldn't be able to shoot them so there goes another two. Now the head could be sometimes out of a window so you must be able to shoot it so we are keeping that.

And now you are down to 2 raycasts, BUT assign priorities, if you can shoot the head, good you have a target, if not, raycast for the chest, if you find it, you have a target again.
    So with this you are doing only one raycast for opponents that are out in the open.

I think this has to be the most optimized way to do this.

As for the bullets I can't really help without some code but I'm sure you just missed something.

I hope I helped. Cheerio mate!

17. Danirey

Danirey

Hi people!

I'm working right now with the UI, to start with new functionalities. I'm using the Unity 4.6 Beta. (With a lot of backups just in case… ;))
    I think it will be a cool UI and make the game more playable :D

I'll post some of the features i'm adding soon.

Cheers!!!!!

18. Danirey

Danirey

Hi!

Here is a little preview of the UI with unity 4.6.

Not finished yet, but it will be done soon.

Please, tell me what do you think! :D

Cheers!

AthosK likes this.
  19. AthosK

AthosK

Very nice!
    Maybe the body aim system could pop up near the enemy for faster aiming?

Great job!

20. Danirey

Danirey

Hey!
    :D That's just how it worked until today... :p I've changed it just before making the video.... :D
    I'll record again showing up near the enemy or target for you, to see what is better.

Cheers!

AthosK likes this.
  21. ZJP

ZJP

Better and better. :cool:

22. Cherno

Cherno

Hello again. About the raycasting and visibilty, I first check if an enemy is inside the field of view by using Vector3.angle. Then, I fire a ray from the character's head to the enemy's head. If this one is blocked, I fire another one between head and torso. If that one is blocked too, I fire one between head and legs. Since humans are typically much taller than wide, this gives satisfactory resutls. I also only check LoS every few frames. Of course, arms could also be included. I use this information to set the cover modifier for shooting. If, for example, only the head is visible, there's a severe malus to ranged to-hit rolls.

23. Danirey

Danirey

Great cherno!
    Thanks. This is what i'll try next.
    Cheers!

24. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks ZJP :D

25. Cherno

Cherno

One more thing: For obstacles that do not completely block a shot, like bales of hay or bushes), I cast a RayCastAll between character and target, checking each colliding piece of cover wether it's soft or hard cover, and applying a malus depending on the number of soft and hard cover objects.

Danirey likes this.
  26. Danirey

Danirey

Nice one! I'll take this too :D Thanks!

27. rkaetano

rkaetano

@Danirey
    Can you please, explain how are you drawing the yellow line for the pathfinding ?
    Are you using the data from the navmesh ?

28. Danirey

Danirey

Sure! :)

I only use the navmesh to get the points array of the path. Then i'm using vectrosity( in the asset store) to draw the curved line using the points.

Hope this help!

29. rkaetano

rkaetano

@Danirey
    Thank you... =)
    I will check this out.

30. Danirey

Danirey

You are welcome! :)

31. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there! :D

Here is a new update of the project!

A video showwing some drop down menus and how the inventory is filled.

Hope you like it!

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  32. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there!

A long time since last update, but here we go with a campaign map concept test.

Hope you like it!

Cheers!

AthosK likes this.
  33. Danirey

Danirey

Hi guys!

I'm re-making the map scene from another perspective. It is a surprise, so as soon as i have it finished i'll post a demo web player to show you. :D

Cheers!

34. allan_90

allan_90

Looks awesome!

35. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks man! :D

AthosK likes this.
  36. Danirey

Danirey

Hi guys!

Here is the Webplayer demo scene that could be used for the headquarters.

take a look and tell me what do you think :)

Cheers!

37. Danirey

Danirey

HI GUYS!

Another update! It took me some time due to some hardware problems, but it is finally here!

This is some kind of Game Tech Demo, showing all the key features of the game. I've crafted a Shooting range with several targets and one of the main players. Each target has one or more icons to interact with. You can shoot enemies behind cover, break walls or aim to certain body parts. It is more than the included here, but is just to show you the main thing.

I've converted almost all the scrits used in the themo to C# from JS#.

The enemy in the left, has 3 options to shoot. The bottom one is to destroy the barrel and make him fall to the ground. The other two, are for head shot and "BALLS" shot ;) With both you will see an accurate sniper shot. And herere comes the cool part, it will be a blend between ragdoll and animation, so he will put his hands in the face while falling to the ground.

Another cool feature is the flamethrower. One of the enemies has a flame icon. It will make the enemy go to the center of the room and the player will shower him with fire.

The car is destructible too. The fuel tank will cause an explosion that kills every enemy near it. The doors will collapse after some hits and with some powerfull weapons (Like the RPK) the bullets can penetrate the metal.

And that's it for now!

Hope you like it!

Here is the link : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2096176/DaniPublic/SHOOTING RANGE WEB/SHOOTING RANGE WEB.html

I've an updated version ready to upload, so it will have some fixes later today. (Another sniper shot option and a flamethrower fix, and it loads faster too.) In the meantime you can test the older one!

Cheers

AthosK likes this.
  38. Danirey

Danirey

Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since the last update, but the conversion to C# is taking me quite a bit... :p

But now, hopefully, everything will work smoother than before. Now i'm finishing the full character controller and the hud and inventory systems. Picking and dropping objects, etc...

I'll make a demo level as soon as the character controller is done!

Keep the faith!

Cheers!

AthosK likes this.
  39. Razputin

Razputin

Jagged Alliance is a very popular game, the recent itterations have been pretty bad though so if you can manage to capture the spirit of the original you'll probably have a hit.

40. Danirey

Danirey

Hi @Razputin,

Indeed it is, but i'm aware that the level of detail and quality of the original is a hard thing to achieve! I'm mixing the features i love from JA2 and SILENT STORM. It will not be a sequel or sometjing like that, but just a fresh breeze to this game style. 3D, blood, nice impact effects, good AI, good looking models, etc... But since this is a solo project, ther will be some great features of those games missing. Or, maybe not... :)

Anyway, i'm doing my best and i like how things are looking!

Cheers!

41. ZJP

ZJP

Happy to see some progress. :cool:

42. Danirey

Danirey

Hi @ZJP ,

I'm not dead yet! :)

Just a bit more of patience and soon i will begin upload some videos and a demomlevel to kill some bad guys!

Cheers!

AthosK likes this.
  43. frosted

frosted

Just checked out a bunch of the videos on your youtube.

The game looks great, I am a fan of JA2113. I love that you used original assets during dev to keep the right feel.

It's nice to see the progress, where you started and where you are now. The new gui looks slick man. The physics are fun, just don't over do it. Silent Storm had the best physics in a JA style game, and many gamers complained about blowing up walls and stuff with small arms (gamers complain about everything).

Really promising stuff though, the trick is capturing that old JA feel. But I think seeing coup d'etat carved into the table there next to the map - you understand the right feeling!

44. Danirey

Danirey

Hi @frosted ,

Thanks a lot for your words!! :)

Hope you like the upcoming stuff i'm preparing :p

Cheers!

45. frosted

frosted

One thing - I would suggest changing the name from coupdetat to something else.

It's important that people can search for your game. So something more 'unique' or at least searchable can be a good thing! As coupdetat you have too much competition from like ... history and stuff ;)

Anyway, good luck. There are a lot of gamers who want a good JA style game.

Also - with regard the base -- I was also using a similar approach to camera animation and stuff to do screen transition - it became very annoying after a while, so I started to keep the transition time down to like 1s. These slow animations become worse if you need to go "back to hallway" which doubles the transition time.

I would suggest using these slow animations for maybe a tutorial or trailer - but not actually in main game play, since people need to get to their info quickly.

46. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks @frosted ,

I'll keep that in mind! :)

Cheers!

47. Danirey

Danirey

Hi,

I know you all think i was dead, but here we go again with a new video. It is an intro for the game that will lead the player to the first playable mission. It is made with the unity 5 new features, so hope you like it.

Cheers!

AthosK likes this.
  48. genail

genail

Very nice! :D
    One notice though: I really like how have you decided to show how the plane is shoot down. Most people see planes only from the ground, so the idea is great! But the explosion sound shouldn't be there. If plane is let's say 5 km above the ground, the explosion will be heard after around 15 seconds ;-)
    Yeah, this is a game, but explosions and a silence makes them even scarier :D (e.g. Gravity movie).

Cheers!
    Piotr

49. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks for your comment Piotr, you are right. I'll make some changes in the scene here and there, and will test that to see what looks better(i think it will, but will make me move the music shots, which are a bit tricky to place….) . The actual sound is more artistic than realistic, but i'll try both to see which one is better ;).

Thanks a lot.

AthosK likes this.
  50. Danirey

Danirey

Hia again people!

Here is a polished version of the intro.
    Some fade in and out for the music and more effects and a cool detail here and there....

Cheers!