Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

COUP D'ETAT Jagged Alliance Style Game in Progress!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Danirey, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Cherno

Cherno

^^Yes, that's the one I tried. It's good enough for simple projects but as soon as you start saving instantiated prefabs or references to other gameobjects it all kinda breaks down :(

2. Danirey

Danirey

Ups! That means that we'll have to find another way!

If you find something easy and reliable, please, let me know!

Cheers!

3. Cherno

Cherno

Well, for now I will stick with it since Serialization is really beyong my current abilities. I have to dig deep into US's code to see what's going on.

4. Danirey

Danirey

Same here ;)

Good luck then!

Keep in touch!

Cheers!

5. Danirey

Danirey

Hi guys!

I'm adding the grenade throwing system.

Currently have:

.M67 Frag Grenade. Explosion Damage + particle damage.
    .M18 Smoke Grenade. Will block the vision of characters.
    .M34 Phosphorus Grenade. Will burn everything inside the damage radius.
    .RGD-5 Russian Frag Grenade. Explosion Damage + particle damage.
    .M7A2 Gas Grenade. (Modified to kill ;)) .Over several turns the affected characters will suffer damage.
    .Molotov Cocktail!

The player can throw a grenade with an AP cost based on distance and the character STRENGTH attribute.

Video Soon!

Cheers!

6. Cherno

Cherno

Very good. In my game, I have added linerenderer effects that are drawn when the user decides to throw a grenade. There is a circle showing the max throwing range and an arch for the arch the grenade will take when flying through the air, corresponding with the atual flight path (which is computer by a complicated mathematical formular that took me a lot of research to get right).

I can send you the script for the effects if you are interested.

7. Danirey

Danirey

WOOOOHHHH!!!! :D

It would be nice. Right now, i can throw the grenade to the target point with a fixed angle and an error margin to make it not perfectly accurate. It works fine, but isn't very realistic in all the possible launch cases. And i only allow to throw if the player is facing the target and if he has Aps to launch that far. If not, you simply can't throw the grenade. But no idea ofhow to draw the future path and all these stuff.

If you don't mind to share it with me, it would be awesome!

Thanks!

8. Cherno

Cherno

Ok, I'll just dump the complete script here...

Edit: Removed so the thread isn't cluttered up. PM me if anyone else is interested.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  9. Danirey

Danirey

Hi! here is a video showing the grenade throwing system. At the moment only frag grenade. Each particle can apply damage to the enemies. The Barrel inside the building makes a huge explosion that breaks all the building walls. Each fragment of the wall has a particular mass, so all react different.

Also added sounds to steps, pickup things, Confirmation orders, negation, out of ammo and so on!

Enjoy!

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  10. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks Cherno,

You have a bit of a complex math here! Good Job! I'll see if i can learn something from that and use it.

Thenks again for sharing your work!

11. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Looks good man!

I especially like how the terrain looks in the first video.

I'm not sure if it was shown in any of the videos, but do falling boxes and such kill enemies? That would be a pretty cool feature with the destruction system.

The engine looks pretty solid though, the only thing that really stands out to me is the UI and 3D indicators and such need more polish and unifying. For example: picking up the small items looks a bit tedious right now, and aiming guns/grenades/etc could use some kind of 3D visual showing you how accurate/inaccurate it might be.

12. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks Darkcoder! I'm glad you like it! :D

Of course it has to be polished. A lot of things in fact! Thats why i want to use your GUI system ;)
    The falling boxes and wall chunks will kill the enemies too! It is already implemented but not showed in the videos. I'll make one showing this.
    The picking up system, is for testing purposes, because i'm not sure if i'll make pick up animations or not, or auto-grab items, to make it more fluid!.
    For the aiming system i'll add some information about the shot, but i don't know what exactly. Maybe the hit probability, range, chance of crytical etc...

Any way, there is a lot to do!

Cheers!!!

13. Danirey

Danirey

Earlier version of a Molotov Cocktail!

I think it is self explanatory! ;)

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  14. Danirey

Danirey

Hi guys! ;)

Here is the refined version of the molotov!

Now the fire particles slides cerating more fire on the go. So maybe the first particle doesn't collide with the enemy, but the posterior particles on the floor will burn it.

The fire damage and duration are turn based, so the fire will stay active(and burn anyone who touch it) over a defined number of turns.
    Once a guy is burning, he will recive 25 points of damage per turn. If he die because the fire, the texture is changed for a burned one.

And as an extra: A video showing how the wall chunks and boxes could kill an enemy if they impact with enought force. :cool:

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  15. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Looks good!

Though I think you should keep the enemy running animation from the first video when they get set on fire, it's pretty funny :p

16. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks darkcoder, :D

I,m loocking for a good animation acording to the situation.. Like jumping and turning around and of course some screaming too .:mrgreen:

Cheers!

17. Danirey

Danirey

Hi guys!

I'm back. I'm a little busy now because i want to change the actual in place animations for a root motion ones. I don't like the sliding characters, so i decided to change them. Also i'm starting with the AI. As soon as i finish including the new animations, i'll post a video to show the difference and some fixes in the animation states and hopefully the new UI.

Stay tunned;)

18. Danirey

Danirey

Hi again!

I didn't die yet ;)

I'll have to make some core changes and it is taking too long. Sorry but i have to make this right or any change in the future will be a huge pain.

As soon as i get this done, it will be a rain of videos showing all the new stuff and canges!

Cheers!

19. Danirey

Danirey

Hi guys!

The AI is almost working. i'm working on it every day to get something cool!, so lets keep going and i will post a video very soon.

Cheers!

20. Cherno

Cherno

I'm also looking at updating my animations, could you please explain how you plan to implement your new animation system?

21. Danirey

Danirey

Hi Cherno!

Nice to see you again ;)

I have bought some animation packs with root motion to replace the old in place animations.(Used in the previous videos)

Now obviosly using mecanim, Behaviour trees and State Machines i hope to get some decent looking movements. Since i'm using unity's navmesh, i've to replace the setDestination with mi own script for geting the waypoints and check the distance to each of them. Now that i'm starting with the behaviour trees and State machines, i think i'll redo form zero the character controler system, that right now is a crazyness of code flying from one script to another.(Beginner problems :))

Creating the enemies AI is really fun, and now they can choose some behaviours from idle/patrol, to Cover or attack. All based on probabilities and random decisions.

I think this weekend i'll finish something to be able to upload a video with the nice new animations, and the Alpha-AI enemies moving around!

Cheers!

22. Danirey

Danirey

Hi !!!!

Here is a preview of the new animations with root motion and some AI behaviour for the enemies.

The AI is not finished yet, but it is working really good right now ;)

Enjoy!(i do :D)

23. Cherno

Cherno

It looks really good!

24. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks! :D

It is really basic, but i think this is the way!

Cheers!

25. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there!

The long time awaited update .... (at least for me :D).
    Finally i've a couple of videos showing the enemy AI.

It is not perfect yet, but it is very promissing! Now all work with State Machines and Behaviour trees. (Thanks to nueverian and his awesome NodeCanvas).

I removed all code i have and replace almost everything with this. Now i don't get lost like before.

The AI has:

IDLE/Patrol, wonder, taking cover, and attack states. With some conditions and probabilities, the enemies can choose between patrol or stay in place. and at the same time look for the players. If they find one, they can run for cover or attack. and if go for cover, in the next turn, they will stay under cover or go to the last player position looking for him. And so on....

So, here they are. Enjoy ;)

Cheers!

26. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there! ;)

I have some cool stuff here!

I have now a better enemy AI working. All made with FSM's and BT's by NodeCanvas. (Thanks a lot nuverian)
    I've improved the aiming system. Now when you select an enemy to attack, a line grows up with the name of the part you aim. I'll update this when the new uGUI arrives.

I managed a system to wear objects. Like a bulletproof vest. I don't know how is the "Propper" way to do that, but i have a vest rigged like the character spine, and then i set the vest bones rotations equal to the character bones rotations. Hard, and ugly, but it works.(If somebody knows how to make it more simple, please let me know.:p)

Better blood splats.

And this is really cool. When an enemy see you in one turn, and in the next turn you have moved away and he can't see you any more, a red ghost appears in the last position known for the enemy and goes there to find you.

Here is a short video showing all this. (Not too much of the AI.)

Cheers!

27. Danirey

Danirey

Hi everyone!

Here is a preview of the main menu. It is only a concept, and some buttons working. Like the options one, that is nice i think! :p

The name for the game was the first that came to my head, so please, don't kill me!

Hope you like it :D

Cheers!

EDIT:

I've added to the web player demo the level in the videos. (Press play) You can use:

"T" to end turn
    "R" to reload
    "F" to toggle run.

If you want, you can wear the vest, and change weapons in the southern part of the level.

You can explode the barrel to.

Some weapons like the MAC10, and the RPK have the auto mode enabled!

Enjoy and feel free to make any comments! ;)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  28. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there!

Here are some more controls for the updated version of the demo.

Shoot "space"
    Left click to pick up objectes or select a target. When select an enemy move the cursor over him to choose where to shoot and click again to confirm.

Now you can right click and cicle trough three different precisions for the shot. The yelow circle shows the precision set. The smaller the circle is, better precission in the shot will have and uses more AP's . If no circle, then will use the default shot value.

Hope you like it!

29. SubHuman

SubHuman

Amazing job! Did you do all this with the free version of the Unity?

30. Danirey

Danirey

Hi,

Yes. Unity free and some plugins helping with the more complex things like IK.

Cheers!

31. AthosK

AthosK

32. Danirey

Danirey

Awesome link!

Thanks a lot. I didn't know about that. It will help me a lot.

Regarding my game, yes it is turn based. In the web player demo (link in the previous posts and instructions too) you can see how it works. I'm trying to include all the features i love from JA2 and silent storm 2. Including the aiming system. Obviously "my vision " of these features!

Cheers

33. AthosK

AthosK

I've played it! Wow it's really awesome, i can already imagine it as a finished product. The main menu really hit some nostalgia points!

34. Danirey

Danirey

Thank you! :D

I'm trying to update it as often as possible. I'll upload some videos for the people outside the unity forums too.

If you, or anyone has any idea or find something that should be tweeked or improved, please, go ahead and post it!!

Cheers!(by the way awesome job with the ninjas! ;))

35. AthosK

AthosK

Thanks! will do that!

36. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there!

New updated version of the webplayer demo.

Improved enemy AI(not perfect yet, but is working)
    New destructible environment system. Buildings are made of several modules. Each one can become fractured separately for better performance.

Now i'm working in a roof system that will collapse if no support is bellow. And it will fade of when some player character is bellow or an enemy seen is bellow too.

The walls have to modes of fracturing. For explosion and for bullet impacts. If an explosion affects the wall it will automatically instantiate a fractured wall with bigger chunks. When the bullets hit the wall, is life decreases until it is equal to 0. Then a new fractured wall is instantiated with smaller chunks to be a little more realistic. I decided do it this way because performance mainly.

And made some tweaks to the aiming system as well.

Enjoy, and feel free to comment! :)

EDIT: Added a reset button in the scene to play again without reload the hole data.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  37. AthosK

AthosK

Great! I was wondering how this is going!

I've played the web demo, there are few things that I like to mention. First and most annoying is that in the web player if I right click it opens the web player tab and goes out of the game, so to go back in i have to left click and i lose my aim.
    other than that great job, the other things are minor and I'm sure you will work around them, for example:

1.When i picked up the vest, it was parented to the player but it wasn't at the right place, it was floating away (if you have a rigidbody in it consider making it Kinematic first before you change it's position).

2. when you trigger the explosions it freeze a little bit, that's because you instantiate the rubble. A way to overcome this is by not instatiating but by having them as a inactive gameobject and simple enabling it. Think of it like this, you have a holder gameobject for each destructible object in your scene. then add something like

public GameObject Healthy;
    public GameObject Destroyed;
    public float health;

void Update()
    {
    if(health< 0)
    {
    Healthy.SetActive(false);
    Destroyed.SetActive(true);
    }
    }

it would save you tons of perfomance because it instantiates the object on load and not on runtime.

3. for some reason an enemy decided to run away which triggered an endless loading turn.

4. consider writing the keys with a GUItext just to show them on the game so we don't have to search in the post for them.

I really like this project and want to see it progress, somehow I like it more than Flashback, maybe because it's not that cartoony. If you need any help with code don't forget to ask and we could brainstorm it together, also consider making an IndieDB page if you haven't already.

Great job!

p.s. sorry I accidently hit tab and then space (bad coding habits :p ) and it posted this prematurely

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  38. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm concern with the Vest thing. I only saw that one time in a webplayer out of home. Here this never happend so i don't know where the problem is. The vest is kinematik when the player is wearing it to avoid these kind of things. I'll try to check if the tit is a timing problem ....

The right click issue(not an issue actually). I know that, i'm trying to control myself and not to blow up my PC every time i play it. The question is that this is not intended for webplayer, so you never have this problem in a desktop. Anyway, if you play in fullscreen you will get rid of the problem. I can make an alternative button for the aim action, but i'm not sure if the aiming system will work in the way it does now... I'm thinking in some changes to make it more fluid and clear...

The explosions, are in a testing stage right now, so they will change a lot. But nice tip anyway. I'll try that.

And i'm sure that a lot of things will jump out every time you play, so if you ,or someone else, find things like that, please, let me know, because i'm focused in one thing and while playing, i forget the rest and play only to see what i'm working at the moment.

Thanks a lot. ;)

39. AthosK

AthosK

great to hear, you can also apply a similar principle as with the explosives to the vest. Have already one on the character that is disabled and simple enable it when you want to and destroy the one you picked up, or better yet disable it and do the opposite when the player dies, so it would drop back to the ground. I usually do this because clothes are hard to do without making them go throu animations and have body parts sticking out.

As for the mouse for now you can just add where you have the right click code this : if(Input.GetMouseButtonDown(1) || Input.GetKey(KeyCode.Whatever button you like)) and it should work the same as clicking the right button.

keeps us updated!

40. Danirey

Danirey

That is what i'm doing now with the weapons too. When you pick up one and add it to the inventory, i becomes invisible and kinematic and child of a weapons holder place in the back. When it is throwed, becomes visible, rigidbody again and unparented.

I'll use that too for the walls as you said. In my computer i cant see the drop when instantiating, but it is allways a good thing to increasse performance :)

I want to add a help button long time ago, but i allways forget that.... :p Sorry, i'll add it in the next one.

Now i have a vest in the floor, and i grab it. So if i'm not wearing a vest it will be positioned and turned kinematic in the player's torso. If i already have one, then i put it in the placeholder(inventory) and set it invisible and kinematik too.

So ther is no instantiation here. If this is what you mean, then there is a problem somewhere i have to find.
    I'll adapt this to the walls and other variable objects in the scene too.

Thanks again, and i'll let you know of any change.

41. AthosK

AthosK

I meant what you do with the weapon do with the vest also, just have one always in place and enable when needed, that way you won't have to bother your self positioning it with code and all. If you start saving on a performance early on you can do a lot later, just imagine placing c4 in a whole base and and exploding all at once, that's profit right there!! but if you instantiate them all together it's probably going to stuck on whatever platform you're playing it.

This technique is called object pooling and it can't be used for a lot of stuff, you can even do it for the explosion particles to save performance. Usually it's prefered to always do object pooling rather instatiating.

I'm eager to see this finished and kicking ass!

42. Danirey

Danirey

HAHAHA! :D

Ok, i got it! I've a lot to learn with all this!! Thanks!

I like that too! ;)

Cheers!

43. Danirey

Danirey

Hey!

I'm uploading a new build with the fixes mentioned before.

Added button of control keys.
    NO instantiating of buildings fractured modules.
    Maybe the VEST issue is fixed now, but since i can`t reproduce it here, we'll see ...
    The enemy that runs away has gone. It was in the same place i have a ghost wall... :p

And i thing that's it. More soon :D

Cheers!

44. Danirey

Danirey

Regarding the fire seen in the Molotov V2 video. As nasoukikos asked in Youtube, it works like this:

A particle emiter with collision activated throws the main particles. Each one will create in every collision and at a emision rate another particle emiter wich will be the static fire in the floor or walls etc... This static fire has a trigger collider that tells the enemy "BURN" and the enemy itself is burned over several turns.

The particles i've used for this are indeed from the asset store.

Cheers!

45. AthosK

AthosK

Thanks! I'm doing the same thing in my game but with a twist! The trigger also checks every few seconds for objects that have a script <BurnedAble> and if they have it, they burn it too and those with their turn burn the next ones and so on. Getting pretty hot as you can imagine :p

46. Danirey

Danirey

Nice!

When you have some time to try the new demo, please, check the things you noticed in the last one to see if they work better now!

Cheers!

47. AthosK

AthosK

Very nice! I actually managed to kill all of them this time (I hope so ;p )

The explosion and the rubble went very smoothly, good job!

I think I found where the vest starts to make trouble, if you pick one up and pick another one, then they would both fall to the ground. I also noticed that the vest was going On and Off (this has to be some boolean you forgot to close maybe) and sometimes it was going offset from the chest, consider parenting it onto a different chest bone maybe?

Consider making the APs visible for sometimes I was just guessing if I can move or not and once I right cliced to aim I couldn't find how to walk again.

Some endless enemy turns did occurred this time, I suggest you put a fail safe timer that stops the enemy on whatever he is doing after a while.

Another thing I noticed is when the ragdolls take effect it slows down a bit (was it intentional for effect?), kinda like what the explosions did, how do you enable them? something more you can add to this is also a timer that disables them, or make them Kinematic after a short time, so you'll save on performance. And something that would add a lot to them, is when they die I noticed every ragdoll falls pretty much the same, since you have colliders for everybody part you can add some force when they are hit by a bullet so they would drop with some variation, if you already do this then add some random force to them and some random torque.

The character graphics sometimes look like they jitter and they have some weird white spots, but this could be the web player's quality.

How is it with draw calls? The models look really neat, I hope they are low poly, It feels a little slow at times, of course the web player doesn't help it at all, is it normal that it loads for a few seconds after you aim?

One last suggestion is to put a new link, even if it's the same link on every new post you make with an update, because not many people would bother to search for it, and a raw copy paste of it it's even better, it would be way easier to find.

Very nice job altogether, you really have something good here. With the previous builds I was excited by the idea and from what I saw, now that I've could play it and enjoy it too, I'm hooked! I've played it around half an hour! Can't wait till the next update!

48. Fluzing

Fluzing

I love this project! I used to play JA2 religiously. Have you checked out Bear's Pit Jagged Alliance Forum? They modified the hell out of the original game. The one thing that ruined JA2 for me a bit was the artificial difficulty in the original game. The AI was pretty stupid, so they just gave them super weapons to compensate for that. Kinda removed the fun out of the game for me. Hope you can avoid that.

49. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks!

I'm doing my best, but the AI isn't an easy thing to do, at least for me :p
    I've seen that site, and it has a lot of info that i'm using in some way.

Cheers!

50. Danirey

Danirey

Hi again man!

Let's see. The AP counter is coming! :)

The enemies are falling in his place? they don't fly on a bullet impact? They should do that, and in fact in my plays they do. I'm start thinking that what i see in my computer isn't allways whet other people see...

The slow down when someone dies is a SLOW MOTION effect i use it to see how they react on impacts. i used that only when the head explodes on a critical hit, but now is enabled every time someone die. I can remove it later.

Could you capture some video? I will post a video of an actual gameplay to see the differences. The vests works fine here too.

The Characters are made with Mixamo's Fuse. They are NOT low poly. I'm not a 3d modeler expert, so i'll have to find some way to fix that if they are making the game slow down to much.

The graphic issues you see are new to me too. I can't see that in my plays.

So if you could try to capture all that, it would be awesome. If not, don't worry, i'll post one gameplay touching all that things to compare. Also i'll try in different computers(Webplayers) to see if i get some of that.

Could be a webplayer version problem? Graphics card? I' don't know... will check that!

Thanks a lot! i'll keep you updated! Oh if you want to walk again in aim mode, press ESC to exit aim. I forgot that in the controls help.