Search Unity

I've been using Unity for 6 years. First time working with a funded, talented team! - Ant Simulator

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by eteeski, Sep 2, 2015.

1. eteeski

eteeski

Ant Simulator - Coming to Steam & PS4

Hey everyone! I wanted to share some progress on our game, Ant Simulator!

I've made a lot of games in Unity, but until now, they've all been small hobbyist type games that weren't very impressive. Recently, I've had the opportunity to be apart of what turned into a HUGE project!

It all started with a game-jam game. I made some simple graphics and a basic world to walk around it. I threw some antenna on the screen and called it Ant Simulator! I was proud of my work, but I didn't see it as anything more than a little artsy web browser experience.

But then people started to notice... The game blew up overnight on youtube! Today we have found over 250 videos of people playing the Ant Simulator game-jam prototype. Something about living the life of an ant really captured the imagination of nearly everyone! It soon was a no brainer... Let's make Ant Simulator a full game!

Now I wasn't alone. Our team grew in members. We now have people on our team dedicated to handling the business and finance side of our company. Soon we were working with 3D artists from all over the world; Colombia, South Africa, North America. Soon I found myself working with a full sized team as passionate about this game as I am. This game has felt so much more serious than other games I've worked on. This is the most official video game project I've had the honor to be a part of in my game dev career.

It's a really great feeling, I've been learning and working for so long to achieve a strange and abstract goal. After working on this project for nearly a year so far, I feel like an actual game developer haha

Early development preview of some gameplay:

Showing off lighting and player movement:

About the game:

Ant Simulator is a game where you must lead your fellow ants to survival in a harsh yet beautifully familiar world. The game plays from a first person perspective. It's hard to fit it into just one genre of game, but we like to imagine it as a colony management & insect battle game! Never play the same level twice with the procedural level generation! Every round starts with you digging the first tunnel underground and choosing where to place your queen ant. Once your queen is established, she will lay eggs and so your duty begins to lead, grow, and guide your colony into a self-sufficient community of food harvesting and hunting machines!

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This should be in wip not showcase.

Odd - I thought this was going to be an update thread to a game posted on here back around the first of the year or late last year. I thought I remembered an ant sim being created, though - if this is the same game there have been some huge accomplishments. My memory isn't great, but I remember the cover art for the other game was a photo taken of a ant, and there wasn't much beyond a couple blades of grass and a lot less interactivity than shown in the examples above.

Either way - great strides and improvement over the previous wip - or nice to see a quality delivery.

3. eteeski

eteeski

Oh, you're right. Maybe I should repost this there and delete this thread?

But I think this may be the same Ant Simulator game you're thinking of. It was originally created by me in the Ludum Dare 48 hour jam. Here's what it looked like back then.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Hi eteeski, thanks for all the tutorials. :D