Search Unity

Is using GetComponent slow?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Rollo357, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Rollo357

Rollo357

Hi,

I'm using GetComponent to access variables in another script. I read somewhere that it was "relatively" slow. Is there a better way?

Just one more thing, FPSWalker seems to lag my program too. Not when I'm moving forward, just when I want to rotate left or right.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If you're using GetComponent a lot (like every frame), cache the component. Otherwise don't worry about it. Describe "lag", because there's nothing in the FPSWalker script that's slow.

--Eric

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

The trick here is to avoid calling it repeatedly, call it once and store the reference obtained in a variable then use that variable later when needed. Here are two simplistic examples:

Code (csharp):
    1. // Bad
    2. function Update () {
    3.     var yourScript : ExampleScript = GetComponent (ExampleScript);
    4.     yourScript.foo = 5;
    5. }
    Code (csharp):
    1. // Good
    2. var yourScript : ExampleScript;
    4. function Start () {
    5.   yourScript = GetComponent (ExampleScript);
    6. }
    8. function Update () {
    9.   yourScript.foo = 5;
    10. }

Again, the above are extremely simplistic but designed to prove a point. If you know you're going to need to access a component repeatedly then get a reference to it one time, then use that stored reference when necessary. This avoids the need to call GetComponent() repeatedly which can in fact be a performance drain if done in excess. Please note that this is a general strategy you should keep in mind across the board, any "finder" functions like that have to do some amount of work to look-up/find the item in question and that takes time (even if only tiny slices). But lots of tiny slices can add up, so cache references!

4. Rollo357

Rollo357

Edit: Nevermind, thanks for your help guys :)

Chris.