Search Unity

Is Unity Right For Me???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ColouredPixelsUnity, Jan 5, 2015.

1. ColouredPixelsUnity

ColouredPixelsUnity

Hello, I made this thread to find out if Unity is right for me. I have 2 ideas for games and I was wondering if these are good to make in Unity or if I should go to CryEngine or something else?

1. A third person shooter with good graphics, a few cutscenes, and it would be campaign.

2. A multiplayer cops vs robbers fps with mid size maps and decent graphics.

If any questions, ask below, thanks!

2. wizardious

wizardious

Firstly a Multiplayer FPS is a HUGE endeavour in any game engine. Not for the faint of heart. A good budget, and a team would really help. Depending on the size of your budget and team, I think on average your looking at a year of work to make a decent MP FPS. A single player first person campaign is easiest in Unity. The reason being, for third person or multiplayer, you need character animations of all character actions, idle, run, reload, crouch, ect... If your a good animator then it would be easier, or, you could also purchase animations from a site like Mixamo, but it would be expensive. For a first person single player, you only need the arm/hand animations that the player see's, and a couple basic "bad guy" animations. There are a couple free resources I came across that will make this a lot easier. Firstly I like Dastardly banana's Fps constructor, it's a little old, but still usable, It sets you up with hand/arm animations, firing/raycast, weapon switching, explosions, health, ammo counter, and a money/purchase system right out of the box. You can just swap out your own art assets guns ect...
    Check out this post for help to get it working.http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/animation-keypress-problem.288481/#post-1906577

I think the leading resource for this type of game however, is 'Fps control' you'll find a link in the other link. I Think this would be your best bet. P.S. Some of the plugins, like 'weapon control' cost money.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    ColouredPixelsUnity likes this.
  3. ColouredPixelsUnity

ColouredPixelsUnity

Wow Thanks! :D

4. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Your big reason to choose unity over other options is the asset store and multi-platform support. What is your experience? If you're good at programming, give unity free a shot. If you're good at having well defined ideas and making flows of actions, check out a few videos on playmaker.

Unity also has shiny things to tempt with. Check out the news for unity 5 on webgl and pbr shaders.

5. ColouredPixelsUnity

ColouredPixelsUnity

I have no experience with programming at all so I would buy Sam Teaches Unity to learn

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'd recommend checking out Unity's free learning resources before you invest money in other sources.

http://unity3d.com/learn

zombiegorilla and Tomnnn like this.
  7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I mentioned playmaker because it's visual programming, with support for custom actions when you want to modify or make your own custom 'code blocks' to fit in to the visual coding puzzle.

It can even be used as a learning tool, since you can view the code being run by each code block provided with playmaker.

Learning to program is also a good idea :p

8. wizardious

wizardious

So, I just wanted to add a word about FPS Control, I'm currently working on a 2d game, but I have done some fps game design in the past. I downloaded FPS Control out of curiosity. The last time I used it, it was fine, but now, on the website it says "FPS Control is not yet fully compatible with The current version of Unity". I have version 4.5.5f1 of Unity, and it was a mess when I opened a level. I had to delete (saved them elsewhere), several scripts( all ProGrid), and the UnityEngine.dll to get it working. And also you have to add a lot of game objects into the inspector, which is quite confusing. I assume there working to update this but just be warned. That being said, it is a wealth of resources if you can get it working. I think the big lesson to be learned is 'beware of the Unity update'. You can lose all your work just by updating. Make sure you always backup your work on an external hard drive or on the 'cloud'. And once you start a project, only update if the update gives you something essential for your game, until you are done.
    Screenie of the Shellshock demo level in FPSContol.

9. ColouredPixelsUnity

ColouredPixelsUnity

Just as a simple anwser, Should I use Unity for making my games or should I use something else?

10. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Yes.

Unity is a very good free option, so you might as well give it a try.