Search Unity

Is Unity FREE version limited?

Discussion in '2D' started by jammydodger, Oct 31, 2014.

1. jammydodger

jammydodger

Hi folks!
    I am looking at learning Unity for 2D game and interactive app development.
    I would like to know if there are any limitations to the FREE license from a 2D developers point of view.
    I would be targeting PC,s, Tablets and iPad
    Thanks

2. mgear

mgear

3. sluice

sluice

If you are learning, the FREE version is great.

For me, the main advantage of the paid license when doing 2D was the being able to do asset bundles.

4. jammydodger

jammydodger

Thanks guys.
    Unity rocks!

5. RedMudkip

RedMudkip

what exactly is the free version, because when I logged into Unity it wanted me to pay for the stupid pro thing.

6. vakabaka

vakabaka

7. RichardKain

RichardKain

No, there are no feature limitations on the personal version of Unity at this time. Most of the benefits of the paid versions of Unity involve support, development community access, and some Asset Store benefits. (I think you can get a free paid asset with one of the plans) There is also the ever-present Unity Logo restriction. If you are using the personal version, a Unity logo showing up when your program loads is mandatory, while with the paid versions you can switch that logo display off. Basically, using the personal version will provide Unity with a little free advertising, just in case your game gets popular.

There used to be certain features that got locked out of the personal version. (render-to-texture, some lightmapping options, a few networking features, and I believe sprite packing) But starting with version 5 pretty much all features were opened up for the personal version. The current personal version continues this, and is an extremely robust toolset. If you were looking at using a legacy version, 5 is a pretty good cut-off point if you don't want to miss out on particular features.