Search Unity

Is there any powerful but easy to use 3D modelling software?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by TC21, May 19, 2016.

?

Which one do you prefer? (Free&Paid Options)

1. Blender

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. 3DS Max/Maya LT

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Adobe Fuse

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Sketch-UP

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. ZBrush (I don't know if it works with Unity)

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. CINEMA 4D Studio

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. MODO

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  8. Quixel SUITE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 3D-COAT

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  10. SUBSTANCE LIVE

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TC21

TC21

In my country there is a national game creation competition for schools!This year i was an unofficial member of the team of my school and luckily we came first in the high-school division!! :)
    We used Game-Maker to make make a 2D game!Now for the next year(wich will be an official meber of the team!!! :D) we plan to make a 3D game with Unity and i will be in charge of making the 3D models,we need to make our own models and not to use models from the internet.So I have exactly one year to learn using a 3D modeling software but i need it to be powerful but easy to use and also fully compatible with Unity!On my PC I have installed Blender and Sketch-UP.Blender is too hard for me,i can't use it at all but on the other hand Sketch-UP is easy but the quality and the features that it has does not satisfy the needs we want.My PC is a 64-Bit compatible machine but it has on it Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Version and will really appreciate it if you can find for me a powerful,easy but also free 3D modeling software! :(
    *For this reason i can't use 3DS Max or Maya LT even though I have an Autodesk student account wich allows me to get a free 3 year subscription.I might put the 64-Bit Version later this year so i can try every program!!!

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I recommend you take another look at Blender. It does have a higher learning curve than other software, but it can easily do anything(for game development/Unity) that Maya or Max can do, and some things better. Also, it perfectly fits the requirement of being free.

It's a good thing the poll allows 3 choices, because a couple of those are meant for material creation instead of 3d model creation. Substance Live is my pick...I love painting directly on the model with Photoshop style brush options, and painting full materials, not just a single texture at a time. But, I don't think it will work for you, because I don't remember there being a free option. The subscription is only $19.99 a month though, and it is a "subscribe-to-own" unlike other software suites. Also, I don't know how powerful that machine is going to be for this software. It more depends on the graphics card(s) it has, but in any case, that 32-bit windows isn't going to help.

3. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

As a Maya user, I suggest Blender as well.:cool:

But in reality, there are no 3d modelling software, that is easy as peasy.:p

Also, it depends on the users skill and preference, as well.
    It doesn't matter, what 3d software you use, it's really the users skill, that makes a 3d software great.:D

Oh, you forgot Sculptris on that list.:p
    There are a ton of others too.

_GimbalLock_ likes this.
  4. Alverik

Alverik

If you get one or two good courses for blender, it's great. The most important part though, is getting to learn all the shortcuts, if you learn them right, you can get things done, really, very fast.

5. nukeD

nukeD

There is! Nevercenter Silo, it doesnt get easier than this. Is it powerful? Well, while it lacks features i haven't found anything impossible to do with it (my game was completely modeled with it, menus and everything). Back in the day it was used to model the cars for Sonic All Star Racing. As for Blender... man, the eternal question of Blender... it is very powerful but very convoluted, requiring a huge investment of time.
    A great one, i made this in a day with it and i'm not particularly talented.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  6. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

@nukeD Do you know if Silo is still being developed? I loved working with it and for awhile Nevercenter was doing some really cool things with it. Then they went dark... I heard some rumblings a version 3.0 in the works and their website looks like its been updated. Would be awesome to see Silo development ramp back up.

Looks good to me!

Alverik likes this.
  7. nukeD

nukeD

Hey Andrew, well... they updated the page, made a 64Bit version with minor tweaks and promised some new things, then they went dark again last year. Check out this forum, they post updates from time to time.

8. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

thing is
    3d modeling is not just knowing how to use a software
    there is the technical side of things too, which is pretty extensive

all major 3d applications are pretty much the same if we are talking about features
    and all of them can produce AAA quality models for games, so it really comes down to your personal taste
    but all of them will require some time to learn them

you can absolutely learn the stuff you need in a year, but only if you work hard on this
    the easy way would be to use sketch up and design a game with a visual style that matches the sketch up models
    good luck

_GimbalLock_ likes this.