Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a source for high resolution aerial view of rooftops?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrtkhosravi, Jul 26, 2015.

1. mrtkhosravi

mrtkhosravi

I'm trying to make some building rooftop textures. The resolution you get from public map sites like google or here maps is very low for my taste.
    The best thing I found is the work of a guy named "Jeffrey Milstein". His photos are available as 1600x1196 at best. Here is a sample of his work:
    05a8d7b9-92e9-4fec-ae1c-8205d75f66ea-2060x1540.jpeg
    You see the resolution is really better than satellite imagery but still not enough to be used as texture.

Any suggestions?

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

First you need to have rights to legally even use any of these from any source. There are companies that sell aerial city photos of various places but they of course cost and are not available without request.

mrtkhosravi likes this.
  3. mrtkhosravi

mrtkhosravi

You are quite right. I meant legally. I need at most 10 or 20 rooftops so I am not looking for a business deal or something. I am interested in places like cgtexture.com or texturepilot.com where you can get textures by cheap subscription.

4. darkhog

darkhog

You could also make a drone, equip it with a good camera and do your own photos.

mrtkhosravi likes this.
  5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I wish I could say google maps but the resolution probably isn't enough yet.

mrtkhosravi likes this.
  6. mrtkhosravi

mrtkhosravi

Yeah. That would be cool. Only if I had one...

Yes. That's a shame.

7. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

A few issues. 1) You can only go up to 300 feet. 2) They can only use them for non-commercial uses (whatever exactly that entails by FAA regulations). 3) The cost of one that can easily lift a good camera (nevermind stability) is enough were it would be worth looking at taking a helicopter ride anyway.

mrtkhosravi likes this.
  8. pKallv

pKallv

Have you contacted Jeffrey Milstein and asked him if he can provide higher resolution?

9. mrtkhosravi

mrtkhosravi

Good point. I wrote to him as you suggested. Will see if something happens.

It seems vertical shots of building are totally underrated. There are tons of beautiful building facade textures are available but none for rooftops. Even commercial products like cityengine don't have good textures for rooftops and the default textures look pathetic. Same thing goes for microsoft flight simulator:(

10. mrtkhosravi

mrtkhosravi