Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the penalty for moving a collider without rigidbody much higher on 5.3?

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by Manny Calavera, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

So I have a large scene with a few moving objects that contain a CircleCollider2D (Is Trigger == true) and no rigidbody*.

Now when my character walks over these moving objects it takes up to several seconds for OnTriggerEnter2D() to be called.

Did anyone notice such delay? I was under the impression that the penalty for moving static colliders was going to decrease in Unity 5, no?

* Yes, yes, I know we're not supposed to be moving colliders without rigidbodies. This is just one of my test cases in my test scene.

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Reducing the penalty for static colliders in Unity 5 was talking about PhysX (3D physics) and not Box2D (2D physics). You should use a Rigidbody2D set to be kinematic. Any particular reason why you are avoiding doing that?

Nevertheless, you seem to be talking about a delay in time for a callback to occur which is nothing to do with the above in either case. More detail is needed though such as what is the set-up for the 'character', what version of Unity etc.