Search Unity

Is posible to rotate a sprite keeping pixel art look?

Discussion in '2D' started by Andreu-Accensi, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Andreu-Accensi

Andreu-Accensi

I'm barely starting with unity but I tried all the 2d tips for pixel art I could found in the forums with satisfactory results when rendering my sprites as they come from the imported image. But I couldn't find anything related to the fact that rotating a sprite in unity is not like rotating the raw image on a graphics software (top-left and bottom-left corners of the attached file).

The closest result I got was when I checked how the build scene (on windows) will work at the lowest resolution but at that resolution the scene is so blurry I cannot take it as an valid option (bottom-right corner of the attached file).

At my default screen resolution the rotation effect of the build scene and the unity editor preview look the same (top-right corner of the attached file). So my question is... Is posible to rotate sprites somehow in unity achieving the same kind of pixel displacement as in a graphics software in order to keep the pixel art look?

rotatepixel.png

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

draw the camera to a small render texture, then with a second camera redraw the rendertexture stretched to cover the screen.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Andreu-Accensi

Andreu-Accensi

Thank you. You pointed me into the right direction I believe. I have seen that this technique can be achieved either with the Pro only RenderTexture or using ReadPixels.

Since I don't have Unity Pro I tried the "Texture2D.ReadPixels" option to actually read the camera content into a texture every " OnPostRender()" to later on draw it with "Graphics.DrawTexture" on every "OnGUI()".

This worked well on play mode and even in the web-player build, but in the pc-standalone build the ReadPixels makes the app to get stuck completely :( So it looks like an option but I cannot get it to work... has anywone faced this issue or something related before that can point me into the right direction?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

ReadPixels won't work well. Anyway just use rendertextures in Unity 5; you don't need Pro.

--Eric

theANMATOR2b likes this.