Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

is pixelart a good idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ariyan-hm, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ariyan-hm

ariyan-hm

hi im ariyan and working in a small team on a platformer multiplayer game . the project was idea of my own and since im very comfortable with pixelart i was going to start making characters in the same style . but today someone joined the project and said why are we making it in pixels . it seemed stupid at first , but got me thinking is it really a good idea to make a multiplayer action game in pixel art ? is it a art style that you can look at for year ?

by the way here are the first character
    roya2.png
    please let me know what you think

RJ-MacReady, Gigiwoo and Not_Sure like this.
  2. N1warhead

N1warhead

I see absolutely nothing wrong with Pixel Art, it's obviously harder (for me) I'm used to 3d, so it's like having a horror film junkie watch a woman love movie, doesn't mix LOL.

But I think your new employee / volunteer asked because it's definitely not something you see today, pixel art style MP games.

I think you should go for it, it's definitely UNIQUE!

ariyan-hm likes this.
  3. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

That looks pretty decent. The only issue I see is the legs are thin enough that you might not be able to see them well against backgrounds, even more so if it's going to be scaled down.

As far as pixel art goes there is a market for it, so it's not like it's a terrible idea to use it.

ariyan-hm likes this.
  4. CarterG81

CarterG81

um, good pixel art is a great idea, especially when the alternative is often unconvincing 3D models or an iffy realistic style. Sure cartoons can work, but it is harder to be a serious game with cartoon characters.

You were correct to think it is a stupid comment. Your pixel art looks great for those who like pixel art-and lots do.

Check this out: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-...-developers-what-are-your-retro-games.283002/

der_r, ariyan-hm and NomadKing like this.
  5. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

You are a small team, and you happen to have a skilled pixel artist. Do you also happen to have enough artists to make high quality 3d art; textures, models, animations, shaders, etc? If not, there isn't really any question here to answer. Use the skills you have!

On a personal note, in a hypothetical world where you have unlimited resources and could make any game type you like, I would still buy a well made pixel art game.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    ariyan-hm likes this.
  6. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Be honest now, you know that games like Shovel Knight, Bro-Force, and Mercenary Kings exist and do well.

You're not really asking if pixal art is a good idea, you're wanting to show off your fantastic pixel art.

Well it worked, damn it. I'm impressed.

ariyan-hm likes this.
  7. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah it looks good to me tower fall did really well even on the ouya i think

ariyan-hm likes this.
  8. MrTiger

MrTiger

Your art is really nice ,as for the good or bad idea to do multiplayer in pixel art question .. what i believe is game art is some thing which will bring people to check your game and tempt them to download it ..in that your art and idea is unique but what make the game successful is how the game play is ..so one thumb up for yous game art and focus on the game play . and also i agree with Not_Sure ..Lol ;) ..

ariyan-hm likes this.
  9. antiReady

antiReady

The example looks really nice.
    If its done well pixel art can be quite awesome. But so can 3d art. Either way, it doesn't really matter as long as its done well imho. If you feel comfortable with that style then by all means go for it :)
    Personally, I really like pixel art :)

ariyan-hm likes this.
  10. ariyan-hm

ariyan-hm

thanks you all guys
    im totally with you on the legs Rockodyne THX
    i didnt know about towerfall will check that out ;)
    i know shovel night and games like that doing great in market. but in MP you must have a art style that people want to play and replay , that was the point of my question i think :D
    but seems you guys liked this style for MP , i hope players like it too

11. ostrich160

ostrich160

It depends on your game and the impact it should have.

Also, in my experience, bare in mind the character making is the easier part. Animating them, not so much

ariyan-hm likes this.
  12. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Whenever I check for new games in google play, if its pixel art, you've got my attention!

ariyan-hm and CarterG81 like this.
  13. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

This is what I was thinking, especially for pixel art. You have bones to work with for 3D stuff, but animation in 2D means you have to draw everything. As long as that isn't a problem, you're fine.

ariyan-hm likes this.
  14. ostrich160

ostrich160

There are programs like Spine, but you cant have one big character with that, you need individual parts

ariyan-hm likes this.
  15. BFGames

BFGames

Well done pixel art can be awesome! And i see no reason not to do it for a multiplayer game.

ariyan-hm likes this.
  16. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I've seen things like that with 2D art in general, but in pixel art limbs would be 2x8 pixel rectangles haha. That might look a little silly in motion :p

ostrich160 and ariyan-hm like this.
  17. Ness

Ness

That is rather difficult question since we dont know the details, ask your game designer.
    Yes that looks very good.

ariyan-hm likes this.
  18. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Can you decide whether making the whole game in this style is HARDER or EASIER? Whichever would take you less time is the strategy I'd take. Cause, odds are you won't finish, and in the end, finishing is more important that the style of art that got you there.

BTW - Your art is FABULOUS!!! Wonderful.

Gigi

ariyan-hm, NomadKing and dogzerx2 like this.
  19. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

I like it and I don't even know why. Keep at it.

ariyan-hm likes this.
  20. NomadKing

NomadKing

Pretty much this.

Gigiwoo and ariyan-hm like this.
  21. ariyan-hm

ariyan-hm

yes its actually what i do Gigi , i have so many new ideas for it too and i glad you liked it
    and thank you all individually for your kind comments

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Gigiwoo likes this.
  22. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Man, I wish I could do pixel art. I'd be a one man team that could make simple but classicly fun games in a short turn around.

23. ariyan-hm

ariyan-hm

Not_Sure and Gigiwoo like this.
  24. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Gigiwoo and ariyan-hm like this.
  25. ariyan-hm

ariyan-hm

haha sure , if you stare long enough i guess