Search Unity

Is it possible to load a HDR Texture at run-time in Unity and convert it to a texture?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Ben-BearFish, May 18, 2015.

1. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I was interested in loading a HDR image (.exr or .hdr format) at run-time in Unity and was wondering if it was possible, and if so how to do it?

I assume I'd load it from the Resource or StreamingAssets folder, but after that I'm not sure how'd I convert it to something Unity could use.

My idea was to have a folder that can update/change the HDR image it has and then load those new HDR images at run-time.

2. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Any thoughts?

3. ThomasCreate

ThomasCreate

Unity can load in HDR images by default; just load them as cubemaps.

4. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

My emphasis was at run-time (Standalone Build), not just in the editor. But I guess based on what you said, I suppose I could load a resource from the Resource or StreamingAssets folder, and typecast it to a Cubemap. I was wondering if there was an alternative texture type that can use HDR in Unity besides Cubemaps.

For instance, could I load an HDR on a normal Texture2D in my scene in Unity at run-time (Standalone Build)?

5. ThomasCreate

ThomasCreate

I reckon you most likely can - what's stopping you from trying? :D

6. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Ok, looks like my next step is to figure out how to convert a Texture to a HDR in Unity at run-time (Standalone Build).

7. rob_ice

rob_ice

Did you have any success with this? We are finding the HDR image values get clamped or altered and the hdri colour changes completely when we assign a newly created hdri at runtime.

8. Caronte3D

Caronte3D

Still no way to save and load 64bits textures to a standard image format at runtime?