Search Unity

Is it possible to generate a Spheremap from a Texture2D in Unity at run-time?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Ben-BearFish, May 28, 2015.

1. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I was trying to create a dynamic spheremap from a Texture2D for a skybox at run-time (Standalone build). Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do that?

Separately, is it possible to generate a cylindrical cubemap at run-time if spheremaps are too difficult to achieve?

2. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

you can modify UVs at run time... not sure if that's what you are after?

3. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Not exactly, but that might help part of the problem. I already know how to access and modify uv's on a Texture2D at run-time, but I don't know how to do that for a spheremap in Unity.

4. rakkarage

rakkarage

5. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@rakkarage While that seems okay for a mesh sphere, unfortunately that won't work with a spheremap. I'll keep looking.

6. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@Aras I know you're a busy guy, but any insights into this?

I'm aware of RenderToCubeMap, but I'm not sure that would do what I need specifically. Is it possible to take a Texture2D and convert it to a Cubemap with spheremap mapping at run-time? I'm trying to create a spheremap skybox that updates its Texture2D at run-time.

7. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I seems RenderToCubeMap is only really useful for simulating reflections. It won't help with converting a Texture2D to a Cubemap/Spheremap at run-time.

8. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Anybody else have any idea how to generate a spheremap at run-tiime from a texture?

9. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

for my own edification... what do you mean by spheremap? (I keep envisaging the example textures in modelling tools when you say that o_O )

10. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@LeftyRighty By spheremap, I mean in the Unity editor when you create a cubemap by importing a texture, you can set it's cubemap mapping settings to spheremap as shown here:

Spheremap.png

I'd like to be able to take a texture or Texture2D at run-time, load it, then create a cubemap with spheremap settings. Thus, I could create a dynamic spheremap from a Texture2D for a skybox at run-time.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  11. razielanarki

razielanarki

any news?
    i'm trying to do something similar, only i'm trying to source a cylindrical cubemap from a texture2d at runtime.