Search Unity

Is it a new "Atmospheric Fog" in the new Unity 5 demo: The Blacksmith?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Luckymouse, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

I just saw a new The Blacksmith demo video from GDC. An out door scene has very nice scattering fog effect.
    [Edit]
    I'm wondering is that a new "Atmospheric Fog" will be available for later Unity 5.x?

The_Blacksmith_Screenshot.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. jRocket

jRocket

I'm wondering this as well. It looks so nice. I wouldn't count on it though, as I don't think they've released the stuff from previous projects like The Butterfly Effect.

3. aubergine

aubergine

It seems like global fog and some extra transparent fog planes scattered around. You can also enhance the global fog shader with some additional noise, which is available in my "aubergines postprocess shaders" pack.

4. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

This custom fog from The Blacksmith, it blends really well from the scene to background (assume Skybox). The area near the sun it scatter more warm color too, which really nice. Of course it may be just a sun shaft effect.
    The current global fog does not seems working well for blending in with the skybox. Definitely need to modify it.

5. aubergine

aubergine

6. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

@aubergine
    I think your ground level fog seems ok, but the distance fog still not blending well with the background.

Check out this video :

It is more like what I want to achieve

[Edit]
    and this

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  7. aubergine

aubergine

I dont have a distance fog on my web player which i did in 5 minutes by the way, its a custom image effect.
    Your videos are from a variation of an atmospheric scattering shader. It has nothing to do with unitys standart GlobalFog shader nor my custom one.
    I used to have a scattering pack for Planetary Terrain package somewhere in the forums, if you can find it, you can have the atmosphere and ground shaders there and edit for your needs.

8. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Thanks aubergine, I think I will try to create a custom atmospheric fog image effect. Just hope if unity are going to release their custom fog, that will save me big time.

9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

You can modify the global fog for that btw

10. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

How?

11. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

12. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

13. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

14. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Nice. . . that would be awesome all in one volumetric scene solution. . .

15. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

FYI, the scattering from The Blacksmith is now released with a blog post and a downloadable example project.

To answer the original question about inclusion in Unity 5.x: it's not a fully general solution, and although it's a good fit for a wide range of projects, it's not a solution suitable for all kinds of projects.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015