Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

Right now it is not possible, but we can add that feature for the next update, we are going to work on it and let you know about it.

Rhod,

2. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

Multi editing the width for multiple markers is now included.

Rhod,

3. pinchmass

pinchmass

thumbs up for this developer !

4. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks pinchmass,

We are committed to support our customers. Please remember to send us your invoice number on a PM or to our e-mail (rhodnius@hotmail.com or rhodnius39@gmail.com) that way when the new release is ready to be uploaded to the asset store, you won't have to wait until it is available on the asset store, since we would send it to you directly.

Thanks again!

Rhod, :cool:

5. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hi guys, great package, just purchased it yesterday. I was wondering if you could help me with one problem though. I want to use Edys vehicle physics for my project, but when I try to do so, I only get one AI car loaded in the scene without a player car. The lone AI driver runs fine and follows the track, but I can't figure out why I can't get a full grid or even a controllable player car loaded. I was able to do this successfully with iRDS physics system. Sorry if I missed something, but there is not much said in the docs about using the system with Edys physics.

======================== SOLVED ============================

OK, so it turns out I had a missing shader variable in the level set up script, that somehow led to only one car being loaded.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  6. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

Thanks for your purchase!

For putting more cars rumning you should check the following:

Check you have more than one grid position, check under IRDSmanager inside the object racetrackpositions that you have more than one children there.

Check on lelvelload object that number of ai cars is more than 0

Check on levelload object that the car selected field has the exact name of the car prefab you want to use, that prefab has to be inide the folder resources/cars.

Check on the IRDSManager that the pits are not active.

Let me know if you need anything else,

Rhod

7. pinchmass

pinchmass

Would it be possible in the next release to have some example driver settings (or in the documentation, or if other users want to share) I'm working on a tight twisty street circuit (lots of hair pin corners) and I want the cars stuck to the racing line.

I'm finding they hit the barriers a lot on the tight corners and slow down a lot too.

more experimentation with the settings, but would be handy to have a few examples?

keep up the good work though this is my fav asset, any ETA on the next update?

8. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

We expect releasing the new update by the end of this week. About the tight corners, could you pls post a screenshot from the top of the track to see what you mean, we would also do some test on a similar track to help you out on the settings of the AI drivers, the default values are the ones on the demo scenes , you could use those as start parameters to tweak them from there.

Rhod,

9. Tomji

Tomji

Making the (available to AI) road a little tighter always helps if you want to avoid them hitting edges. There is also a setting to make the AI go back to the racing line quicker if they drift off from it.
    As for speed, with the latest you have to increase the cornering speed quiet a bit for tight narrow corners.

10. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks Tomji,

The cornering speed needed to be increased more on the last update is going to be lowered again on the next update (you would be able to use lower values to make the AI go faster on corners) this is because of the new features we are including (auto steering, auto throttle and auto brake) because if we kept it as it was on the last update (cornering speed factor values too high) the player could get advantage of that, so we got to put it back as it was but keeping the good things of that last update.

Rhod,

11. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hey, I am trying to write a script for controlling the human players car. I can see that there is a class IRDSCarControllInput with the set methods, but I am not sure how to actually get this component, since I can't figure out how to find and get access the human players car object from my script. It has no distinct name, tag or anything like that.

12. emergki

emergki

You can do it like this:

Code (csharp):
    3. private IRDSCarControllInput carInputs;
    5. void Start(){
    6.   carInputs = GetComponent<IRDSCarControllInput>();
    7. }
    9. void Update(){
    10.   if (carInputs.GetCarPilot()){
    11.             carInputs.setSteerInput(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"));
    12.         carInputs.setThrottleInput(Input.GetAxis("Throttle")); 
    13.         carInputs.setBrakeInput(Input.GetAxis("Brake"));
    14.   }

13. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks emergki!

Indeed that is the easiest way to do it. Let us know eddyjohnson3 if you need anything else.

Rhod,

14. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hey thanks emergki. So now I know how to detect human car, but I am getting a strange error now:

BCE0019: 'setSteerInput' is not a member of 'IRDSCarControllInput'.

I am using Edys vehicle physics, so maybe that is the problem. I also tried to control the Edys CarControl values directly, but it seems that iRDS is somehow overriding this so I am unable to do so. My project is for mobile devices, that is why I need my own custom controls.

15. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

For doing it with edys VP version, you just need to take into account the following:

This version of iRDS doesn't use iRDS scripts to control the player car, it uses the own Edy's scripts to control the player car.
    On the script IRDSCarControllInputEdys on the FixedUpdate method, there is an if statement that checks if the car is human controlled if (!carInputs.GetCarPilot()) and sets the readUserInput to true if it is human controlled, i think you just need to set that to false in order to use your own script that controls the car, but you don't need to pass or set the throttle, steering and brake to IRDSCarControllerInput, since this script won't pass those values to the Edy's script called CarControl, you need instead to get that component and pass the values directly.

Let us know if this solves it ;-)

Rhod,

16. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Yeah, that worked, thanks a lot for your help guys.

17. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to keep you informed on the current works we are doing to the next update for iRDS, that would be Version 1.09

List of new features:

• Auto steering
    • Auto throttle
    • Auto brake
    • New custom inspector for the IRDSLeveLoadVariables class (make it more user friendly)
    • Add Nitro to the cars (the player and AI can use nitro if you want on the race)
    • adding players dynamically, add cars to the first available Grid position
    • Fixed duplicates markers when placing them on editor mode
    • Removing players dynamically on the race (useful for making last man standing races)
    • Ability to add more than one player (the system by now doesn't handle split screen and multi audio for multiplayer)
    • Multi editing the width for multiple markers.

Thanks!

18. pinchmass

pinchmass

nice ! ....

bit of a feature request (keep you guys busy) pressing "C" changes the view to a different AI player, can a key command to move forward and backward through the current AI player order be added (like PgUp + PgDown) ?

bit of feedback I got my Oculus Rift yesterday works great with your packages (I just dropped the Oculus camera prefab as a child of the main camera.

nice to watch your great AI system weaving behind me trying to over take, viewed over my shoulder out the back window !

19. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

There is already this feature included on iRDS (but only for moving forward through the cars by their position), just get into the CameraControll script and add or change the method used for cycling the cars "carCamera.changeTarget()" with "carCamera.changeTargetbyPosition()" and you would now be able to change the cars by their position, also there is a method to instantly return to the player's cars, it is called "carCamera.ChangeToPlayerCar();", all of this methods are included on the class IRDSCarCamera.

We could see if we can add another method to cycle backwards in position order too.

20. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys,

We just added the method on IRDSCarCamera to cycle the cars by positions backwards (it is called "changeTargetbyPositionBackwards()"). It is going to be included on the next update.

Thanks pinchmass for the suggestion!

21. pinchmass

pinchmass

Wondering if anyone can help I'm needing someone to hold my hand a bit, I'm wanting to use Edy VP for the player car, (happy to use the AI system for the AI car).

Just not sure what I need to edit, can anyone post a "step by step" for a non coder ?

22. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

For using Edys VP, you need to also use the IRDS for edys package, which is included on the folder "iRDS/Other Car Physics/" and then the AI's and player would use Edys VP as the car physics. You need to import that iRDS for edys package on a new project or copy the IRDS Edys package outside the project, then delete the full iRDS package from the current project and import the iRDS Edys package.

On that package the system already handle setting the Player car to be controlled by the human using the keyboard or the inputs you set on Project settings/Input on unity.

Let us know if you need something else.

23. pinchmass

pinchmass

Cheers got it going now, I also had to move Edy VP scripts to the standard assets folder.

Is it possible to use Edy VP for the player car and your system for the AI, I love your vehicle rigging wizard, and brake light and backfire features. ?

thanks again

24. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

Out of the box it is not possible to mix the car physics, but why you would like to use the iRDS own physics for AI's only and Edys for player? you can use iRDS for Ai's and player or Edys for both too. ;)

Rhod,:cool:

25. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys,

Today we have uploaded iRDS version 1.09 to the asset store, it is still pending approval.

Also we have updated the iRDS manual (is on the same link on the first post or you can download it from our website too www.dagagames.com)

26. pinchmass

pinchmass

yes rather random request, I just found your rigging wizard really quick and simple. well done on the update

27. gringo2012

gringo2012

Just bought the package some days ago.

Managed to get it working with Edy's VP, and I get the cars, they race, etc, but I can't seem to be able to tweak the AI.
    If I have cars behind, they are always stuck behind me, while the road is wide enough to allow for the cars to pass me.

They drive backwards, then forward, see me, wait for a few seconds, drive back, then forward, still stuck.
    I read the manual and tried tweaking the settings to make the cars more aggressive or try to pass you but still no change. Also, if they stop because they have an AI car in front it's not that cool, since I would love that they'd always try to pass the obstacle that they have in front.

28. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gringo2012,

Thanks for the purchase.

The System is tweak-able by the settings of the AI drivers, could you please post screenshot of the array called "Driver Settings" which is on the leveload gameobject on the scene, this way we could help you to get the behavior you want, by pointing out which values you should change in that array.

Thanks again, and if you need anything, please let us know.

Rhod,

PD: Please PM me or email me to rhodnius@hotmail.com or rhodnius39@gmail.com the invoice number, that way we could also send you right away the last update.

29. gringo2012

gringo2012

Hello

I have attached the settings here and I also sent you an email with the invoice number.

$settigns.jpg

Here is the car stuck behind.

$cars.jpg

Btw, there are several settings in the LevelLoad that are not documented in your manual.
    Can you also maybe create some preset settings that we can use in order to finetune the cars?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  30. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gringo2012,

We have uploaded the updated version of the manual, you can download it from the link on the first post of this thread.

About the settings, you should try the following:

Cornering speed factor min and max could be increased to 1.4 or a little more you could try as high as 2 or more, just if you start seeing the AIs go out of the track on the corners, then lower it a little.
    overtake speed difference min -3 and max 0

Also, you should check on the roadwidth value, it is on the general settings on the IRDSManager object on the scene, check that it is matching the width of the track, if the AI doesn't have room to the sides from its position to the tracklimits on the sides, it just won't be able to overtake, because it cant fit in there.

Let us know if you need something else, we gladly would help you.

Rhod,

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  31. gringo2012

gringo2012

Thanks

I did these changes. It's a bit better but it still gets stuck...
    Actually while it starts to drive it is a bit better but this happens a lot when the race starts, when the cars start driving from their starting positions.
    Below the first car is my car, the game just started. I did not accelerate so the car behind me tries to pass me, but there is another AI car on the second line that starts driving too so the Buggy AI car stops, lets the other ai car pass, then drives back, but now it does not have any car in front of it but still does not overpass me. it drives back and forth, stuck. If I start driving the Player car it is ok, it gets back on track. If not, it stays stuck there...

The road width is the exact width of the road mesh.

$bug2.jpg

And here we have the same issue, once the level starts, but we get 2 cars stuck. The first is my car, level starts, I don-t accelerate so I stay still.
    The second car, the police one, tries to overtake, so does the third one, and they both get stuck even though there's enough room....

$error2.jpg

32. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi gringo2012,

Please download the last version i just shared, and try again, that version have some improvement on the overtaking.

Also, you should try lowering the LOOKAHEAD_FACTOR to 0.2 instead of 0.33 this would make the AI steer more sharp.

Let me know how it went, and if you need anything else.

Rhod,

33. gringo2012

gringo2012

Thank you rhodnius

The update fixed the issue

34. pinchmass

pinchmass

As your a very friendly (and efficient) developer, I thought Id suggest a few "ideas" I had for the audio side (so may not be to technical for you to implement).

I like to set audio clips up as an array (and then drop a few sound in and play 1 at random to avoid repartition).
    So
    How hard would it be for you to add some events to trigger sounds (or ideally a random sound from an array) like for example (when you overtake/overtaken , impact, pitstop request, someone behind you etc).

I could then play with some commentary clips / comedy clips.

just an idea

35. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

Thanks for the suggestion!

We think it is a good idea, so we could think on something to put that together, the system have already some methods to let you know if the AI is doing overtake, avoiding someone on the sideways, breaking to avoid colliding other car or if is going wrong way. we are going to put it on the to do list to make it even better.

These are the methods included on the IRDSCarControllerAI:

public bool GetIsOvertaking()
    public bool GetIsAvoidingOpponentSideways()
    public bool GetIsBreakingOnOpponent()
    public bool GetWrongWay()

Thanks again pinchmass,

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  36. emergki

emergki

37. pinchmass

pinchmass

Great support as always dudes....

and yer for very basic programmer, it would be cool to have audio slots to drop my sound clips in via your System Manager.

Love the Truck game, any other content to share. I'll be uploading my Oculus Rift version this next week so can give you all a look (No were near as beautiful as ekergki work) not a programmer or an artist.........

38. Shigidy

Shigidy

I would also like to make a suggestion or a request really. Is there anyway you could make a checkpoint system, like where it's done ramdomly. Where there are checkpoints all across the track or map and you have to go after them. Kind of like 1nsane racing game.

While I'm thinking about, if you could possibly long long down the road could cops A.I. ever be a thing, just wondering :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  39. Shigidy

Shigidy

Hey rhondius, I'm trying to change the car colors. Every car is the same color. Is there the a way I can change the colors. Also I have made some other textures too. Also is it possible to change the car textures, rather than the car color, but I would really like to know how to change the car color.

40. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Shigidy,

This one is wrote down on the to do list, we would be working on it.

41. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Shigidy,

There are two ways for doing it, one, on the leveload object you have an array called AI Car Colors, in there you can setup all the AI car colors you want the System to choose from, and then on the same levelload object is another field named Car Chader, in there you need to select the shader that you are using o the car main body, but if the cars have textures, that i think it is your case you should use the second option. Which is making more copies of the same car and putting them on the same folder "Resources/Cars" (the prefabs would need different names) and to each of them use a different texture for the main body.

Let me know if you need anything else.

42. Shigidy

Shigidy

Thanks!!!!!!

43. Shigidy

Shigidy

Hey Rhondius how hard would it be to make a checkpoint system based on time. You have like 60 seconds to get to the next checkpoint and if you reach that checkpoint you get like 15 seconds until you reach the finish line.

44. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Shigidy,

With the main thing done on iRDS (check point based race) the timer should be pretty easy add to it, since the system already support removing or disabling cars in run time by script.

45. pinchmass

pinchmass

Another little feature request, would it be possible to have the mini map as simple horizontal line (start of lap to end) with the dots for the cars moving along it ? (I'v seen this in a lot of racing games, and would be handy to suit any track layout)

Also how do I turn the racing line graphics off (the white and red arrows) ? and how do I turn off the Digital Input tick box ? (I apologise if its in the documentation but could find it)

46. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi pinchmass,

We would write that one down on the to do list.

For disabling the racing line rendered on the race, just go to IRDSManager object and find on its children the object called racelinerenderer and disable it.

The Digital input toggle is on the cameracontrol script, you can find it on the OnGUI method, just comment the corresponding line there which is:

Code (csharp):
    1. IRDSStatistics.GetCurrentCar().GetCarInputs().SetDigitalControl( GUI.Toggle(new Rect(10, Screen.height - 30,100,30),IRDSStatistics.GetCurrentCar().GetCarInputs().GetDigitalControl() ,"Digital input"));
    Let us know if you need anything else.

47. pinchmass

pinchmass

sorted (your a star)

48. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

We are currently working on the update of the Web Demo (it has the iRDS Version 1.04 right now) , also working at the same time on the new features which are the followings:

• Make some sounds array that could be played for X event.
    • Add a Dynamic change on the aggressiveness of the AI drivers for making the corners depending on the player distance and their positions, so the AI could adjust to make the player feel more like racing with other human players and not feeling alone.
    • Add top speed engine limiter.
    • Sub-tracks to exist inside the main track (shortcuts or just other ways to go through).
    • Add selection of what to show for the final standings, and also the ability to add a background to it, make the position of the end standings be changeable
    • Make the speed configurable for initial race preview
    • Assign the player car its initial position manually if you want, instead of random.
    • Make mini map as a line.
    • Add option on leveload for enabling / disabling ESP TCS etc for the players.
    • Police chasing mode
    • CheckPoint based racing

We would post some pics of the new web demo soon too.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome,

49. Shigidy

Shigidy

Could I make a suggestion, could you possibly add a button like "r" that would make the user load to the last checkpoint, in case it falls above like an out of bounds area. I can't wait to see police chasing mode!!!! But I have a question, how would lose, get tagged a certain number of times? Like get hit by a cop car like 5 times?

50. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Shigidy.

Yep, that is totally possible to make, we are going to add it to the CameraControl Script.

About the Cope Mode, well we are thinking more in letting you know that information (make it available) so you could decide what to do with it (a little of coding maybe needed) but also would include some options, like that one for example.