Search Unity

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. Alex_V

Alex_V

Actually rolling starts would have been my request, but you already got that covered :)

2. joa-baur

joa-baur

Hi,

just a quick question:
    How would I set up iRDSManager/LevelLoad if I wanted not a racing game (player vs AI) but just 1 car driving along the track automatically (like a robot player) forever? This is for a client who just wants a demo for an exhibition, with no racing interaction... Is this possible with iRDS?

Joachim

3. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Joachim!

Yes it is possible, please contact me at josegarrido@dagagames.com for further details, and please send me your invoice number for registering your purchase ;)

Cheers!

Rhod,

4. vanherst

vanherst

Hi,

I'm using the following car package:
    http://u3d.as/9pn

I load the cars dynamically in by C# code, can I still use this race driver system?

With kind regards

5. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi vanherst!

Yes you can :)

Rhod,

6. vanherst

vanherst

It seems to be working, but I also want to load the players car dynamicly with c#.
    How can I remove it from the LevelLoad?

7. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi vanherst!

There is an option on the levelload called "instantiate cars manually" if you enable it, the system wont instantiate any of the cars, including the player, but for them to recognize each other, you need to call the IRDSPlaceCars.AddNewPlayerCar() and IRDSPlaceCars.AddNewAICar() methods, make sure to use the method that uses as first parameter the IRDSCarControllerAI, since the other one (the one that uses an Object instead) would instantiate the Car.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Rhod,

8. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys!

I'm currently working on improving the car physics of iRDS, here is a video of the car physics improvements behavior.

Also Im working on the GUI.

Cheers!

Rhod,

emergki likes this.
  9. emergki

emergki

Very good my Friend!

10. molanisgames

molanisgames

Hi there,
    I want to use obstacle avoidance for the ai cars. Here the only info I found on the user guide:

“For using obstacle avoidance, you need to make the main game object of the Cars (only the main object, not its children) to be on a layer named “obstaclesensor” and for the obstacles create a layer called obstacle, then in the physics manager of unity setup only this to layer to collide with each other, if capture the flag is going to be used, make sure that the flag layer does not collides with any of this two layers (obstacle and obstaclesensor). “

Where is the "main game object of the Cars" located? I see I can define the number of ai cars in the settings but cannot find their game objects.
    Can you please explain a bit more the whole process? Thanks

11. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi molanisgames!

Thanks for your purchase!

Please send me your invoice number at josegarrido@dagagames.com and ill get back to you asap with support.

Thanks again!

Rhod,

EDIT: Thanks for registering, i just sent you an email with the response.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  12. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Hi! How can I make a main menu and car selection with IRDS? How can i integrate with Unity Car?

13. rhodnius

rhodnius

@Davidbillmanoy Thanks four your purchase!

Please kindly send me your invoice number to josegarrido@dagagames.com to register your purchase and ill get back to you with support.

Thanks again!

Rhod,

14. GameReady3D

GameReady3D

Nice video! How are you controlling the car? keyboard? steering wheel?

15. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Is your own Car Physics Realistic? Not Magic like Arcade?

16. rhodnius

rhodnius

@GameReady3D Thanks! I'm using on that video just the keyboard, have done also some test with a Logitech G27 :D

@Davidbillmanoy Yep, and on that video are the new behaviors of the car physics, which is still WIP.

Rhod,

17. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Are your physics are like Edy's and Unity Car?

18. rhodnius

rhodnius

@Davidbillmanoy well it depends on what you call like Edys and Unitycar, what you mean with like them?

Cheers,

Rhod,

19. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

I mean it's comparable.

20. rhodnius

rhodnius

@Davidbillmanoy oh yep, i though you already bought iRDS, sorry for the confusion, so for your first question:

iRDS has an example script for making a selection menu for cars and tracks, and for integrating wiht UnityCar it has also another scripts that you just need to unZip and use the option to add the scripts to an already rigged UnityCar car.

Let me know if you have any other questions ;)

Rhod,

21. Pulov

Pulov

They look good!

The sound is terrible...
    Consider also increasing the normal map tiling of the road.

rhodnius likes this.
  22. rhodnius

rhodnius

Thanks Pulov!, well yeah sounds were not the goal, just the physics :D, ill add some better sounds that i have on another project that uses the sounds with RPM intervals and other features that iRDS have for making the sounds to be for throttle On, Off and depending on engine load :D

Thanks my friend!

Rhod,

Pulov likes this.
  23. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello Guys!

I have just been informed from a little bug when creating subtracks on the latest version which is on the Asset store that prevented the use and creation of the sub tracks, i have already fix this issue, and have uploaded to the repository the new version with the fix.

Soon I'll be uploading this new fix to the asset store too.

Cheers!

Rhod,

24. latas

latas

We're currently improving a racing game and we're a little bit worried about the big changes we should have to develop if we decide tu use your plugin. We'd like to know what are the requirements of your plugin for example to use the Overtake feature. Also we want to know if AI cars are able to overtake too.

Thank you very much.

25. rhodnius

rhodnius

@latas in this case, what exactly are your concerns?

iRDS requires to have setup the virtual track (putting markers on the visual track with iRDS tool) in order for the AI to work, if you have a third-party car physics and it is Edys (for unity4 or unity5, this last one we already have the scripts for wroking with it, but not yet on the asset store) or you are using UnityCar the system comes with the script to plug and play with these physics and also comes with it's own car physics.

If you decide to go with iRDS own physics you need to rig your cars with the car wizard that comes with the system and which is pretty easy to use.

If you just happen to have Edy's or UnityCar you just need to add the interfaces script which the tool has menu options to add it.

Having this done, the overtake feature for the AI would be available.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Rhod,

26. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  27. rhodnius

rhodnius

@Davidbillmanoy yes it is, but highly modified, i could say that i.e. tire code is complete different now and so on for everything in there :D

Rhod,

28. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

Does your physics have Pacejka Tyres?

29. rhodnius

rhodnius

@Davidbillmanoy Yes, it does ;)

Rhod,

30. schwooba

schwooba

Can the AI and game be configured for a Demolition Derby type game? I was interested in purchasing it for that reason. Thanks.

31. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

As he said above, I want the Damage System. The damage is same like the Unity Collider, but Mechanical Damage like Gearbox, Engine, Suspension, Wheel, etc. Detaching Hood(Bonnet), Trunk(Boot), Doors, Bumpers, Front Fenders, Broken Windows, Spoilers, Broken Lights, etc.

32. rhodnius

rhodnius

@schwooba iRDS was not really designed for demolition derby kind of race, it has the cop mode that could do some behavior similar to what you need, but may not be exactly as you need it.

@Davidbillmanoy those effects could be added on top of current iRDS damage system, i.e. for the falling parts, you can use fixed joints to achieve that effect. About the engine damage, gearbox, suspension and wheel, those also could be done externally and just change the current values of the engine torque, suspension spring force, shifting speed, and tire frictions factors to get the feeling that those have been damaged.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Rhod,

33. Davidbillmanoy

Davidbillmanoy

What about Body Deformation?

34. rhodnius

rhodnius

@Davidbillmanoy yep iRDS have body deformation. :)

Rhod,

35. Xenobite

Xenobite

36. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Xenobite,

Sure, it shouldn't be an issue to make it compatible, if you own both, I can help you integrate them, since actually the scripts for Edy's (which also uses wheelcolliders) should be pretty much the same as for Randomation VP, and just some class names and variables should be replaced on the interface scripts.

Cheers!

Rhod,

37. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys!

Just wanted to let you know i continue working on the new update of iRDS, currently doing (doing a big redo of it) the new UI system, that would be using the new uGUI from Unity, making also more callbacks and other useful stuff on the API to even let you do this with any other UI system that you prefer in an easier way(NGUI, i.e.) since you can do it with the current version also.

I know it is taking some time, but would be a really good value for you guys i think.

Just wanted to keep you updated on the process.

Cheers!

Rhod,

38. rhodnius

rhodnius

Here is a pic of the WIP for the new uGUI, this one is a very simple UI interface

upload_2015-5-17_23-45-18.png

And this is how it looks on your scene view, you would notice that it is independent now from the IRDSManager object

upload_2015-5-17_23-47-21.png

I have not yet worked on the inspector side, so it is the default unity inspector for now, you can see there the Canvas object on the scene view, and inside of it all the uGUI elements that conforms the UI for the standings (lap time, race time, position, laps, best time, last lap time, and the standings them self) all of them were placed manually on the scene view and then just drag and dropped on the corresponding field in the inspector so they get updated by the script.

In the case of the Standings, that shows the positions of all the cars on a numerated list, what i did is to have on the inspector only a GameObject field, so you drop there the object that is the parent of the grid that would have the UI text elements, and only putted inside that grid just one element, since the script would clone it as needed depending on the amounts of cars that are actually racing.

Let me know your thoughts about what im currently doing, and what you expect to see on this new feature ;)

Also, wanted to let you know that this new script that controls all the UI stuff, is going to be by default with source code, so you could extend/modify it to your liking and/or use it with a different GUI system than uGUI.

Cheers!

Rhod,

39. pinchmass

pinchmass

great work as always

rhodnius likes this.
  40. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys!

You are also going to be able to use the unity animation tool to animate your UI, im going to add as much options as possible to the original script for you to be able as much as you desire, like i.e., using animation for the lap and position UI, so when they change, maybe you could scale them at that very moment (scale up and then down) just to make the player aware of the lap/pos change, stuff like that :D

Cheers!

Rhod,

41. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys!

Here is an updated screenshot of the new UI system im working on for iRDS using the new uGUI, you can notice on this pic that there is already the minimap, this one is a minimap that rotates with the player rotation and also updates the map position based on the player position.

upload_2015-5-29_2-47-6.png

The minimap is masked, so the mask could be of any shape :D

Cheers!

Rhod,

42. rhodnius

rhodnius

You can also rotate the panel of the Minimap to give it a 3D effect, like this:

upload_2015-5-29_2-56-53.png

Ill be posting more as I continue working on it ;)

Rhod,

emergki likes this.
  43. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys!

I just added the Vertical and Horizontal minimaps types, here is a screenshot:

upload_2015-5-29_13-50-53.png

Cheers!

Rhod,

44. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys!

Static minimap is completed now, here is a screenshot, also you can see that the Lap counter is scaled and the Best lap time is scaled and color changed, this is what i was explaining on an earlier post, that you can use animations to give live to your UI.

upload_2015-5-30_1-39-19.png

Cheers!

Rhod,

Alex_V likes this.
  45. rhodnius

rhodnius

Anything you could think of wanting to get included on the new UI system?

Just let me know :D

Rhod,

diegoadrada likes this.
  46. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys!

Im also making all these new UI system to be like components that are independent of each other, so you would find a series of scripts, one for the minimap, another for the position, and so on.

This would give you the power of removing/adding which ever component you would like to use,and also would make it easier to find on the API the variables for setting each component by script if you want.

Let me know what you think about this approach.

Cheers!

Rhod,

Alex_V likes this.
  47. rhodnius

rhodnius

Another thing that would be introduced on the new version is the use of namespaces to organize the iRDS components on the API, so if you import the new version to a project you was working on with a previous version you would be required to add the using IRDS at the top of the scripts were you use the API and some sub namespaces could apply to, like i.e. IRDS.Physics for accessing the physics components and IRDS.AI for the AI components and so on, the idea is to keep the code more organized.

Let me know what you think about this change.

Rhod,

48. pinchmass

pinchmass

all sounds good to me

49. radimoto

radimoto

Yes from me, all great ideas!

50. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi guys!

Here is a screenshot of how the components would look like, here is the Standings component and the standings custom layout group component

upload_2015-6-3_14-2-10.png

The IRDSStandingsLayoutGroup should be used instead of the grid, vertical, horizontal default layouts, since the standings would be switching the actual driver's standings position, and with the default layout groups this is not possible, or at least i have not found a way to do it, since the default layouts would automatically put in place all the items and wont let modifying their positions freely.

If you dont want the standings to switch positions visually, you just need to increase the switching speed to a big value, like 100.

Cheers!

Rhod,