iPhone Unity Game Development Training Class 5/22/2009

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Fastrak, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Fastrak

Fastrak

SORRY, MY FAULT. CORRECT EMAIL ADDRESS:

unity@ethervision.NET

Hi, I am working on organizing a Unity training class for iPhone Game Development. This will be an intensive 3 full-day course with limited ( 18 left ) spots for attendees. The instructor will by flying over from Unity Studios in Denmark.

Tentative dates are May 22 - 24, 2009.

Enrollment will be <$2000 and will include catered lunches. Attendees will be responsible for bringing laptops with a version of Unity installed.

We have a couple choices for the class involving the curriculum and arrangements (including a choice of locations in the US)

If you are interested in attending, please send me an email ASAP to
    unity @ethervision.net

Thanks!

Aaron
  2. StarManta

StarManta

I'm guessing -where- the classes are being held might be of interest to anyone who might attend.
  3. Fastrak

Fastrak

The most probable option at this point is Orlando and I already have gotten training facilities lined up if we go forward there. I am flexible about changing the location if there is something that works better for most of the attendees.

Allegiant Air had some dirt cheap airline tickets to Orlando from a number of locations.

I am hosting this class because I want to attend. My objectives are to make it happen and to keep the expenses for the participants as low as possible while balancing against class size. I am trying for $1,495 but it depends on the number of attendees as well as a number of factors being worked out (hotel has catering minimums which I am negotiating).

If there are less than 12 attendees, the class will simply not happen.

If you are serious about developing 3D applications for the iPhone with, you can get no better instruction then directly from the folks at Unity. Personally, I am going to pass on WWDC this year and purchase the DVD's later to save the money for this class.
  4. Wadoman

Wadoman

Well i am interested especially since I live in Orlando:) So is there a course breakdown. It would be nice to know what to expect to learn from it first.
  5. TheLorax

TheLorax

Not from Florida, but most definitely interested. Please post more info when available. Thanks!

TheLorax
  6. Fastrak

Fastrak

What we are currently looking at:

Getting Started: How do I hook this all up?
    Basic Setup
    Unity Remote
    Pushing the apps to the iPhone
    Run example app on iPhone

Example Projects:
    1) Tic Tac Toe
    2) Marble Rolling game using accelerometer
    3) Whack a mole using model animations

Some Topics:
    Limitations of the iPhone
    Draw Counts
    Textures
    GUI
    Occlusion Culling
    Switching to/from Unity screens and UIViews

We will have the trainer for 3 full 8-hour days which I intend to fully utilize!

I am responsible for giving the Unity folks a curriculum so I am wanting input from the attendees. If you are interested, please email me asap.
  7. Fastrak

Fastrak

UPDATE:

Texas State Technical College in Waco, Texas has generously extended the invitation to provide access to their wonderful and well-equipped facilities for this event.

We will have a comfortable classroom with a digital projector. I am working to establish discounted pricing for the hotel ,which is across from a large assortment of restaurants. We are currently coordinating daily shuttles between the hotel and the classroom.

If you are interested, please contact me ASAP.
  8. Wadoman

Wadoman

Well that's to bad for me. To far and to short a notice for me. Thanks for doing this though. Maybe next time. Good luck guys.
  9. polytropoi

polytropoi

I met the guys from this school at the last GDC, they're nice folks.

Waco is a pretty little town about an hour north of Austin, home of Baylor University. Not as, um, distracting as Austin, but I guess that could be a good thing...
  10. rayfigs

rayfigs

If it is of any merit I am sure I can get space at work fullsail.com here in Orlando.

I will look into it let me know if it is of any interest.
    Are there specific times of interest?

::Edit :: Sorry actually read through the thread, I originally saw that a few people thought Orlando would be a good location and made my post.

It's not that big of a deal for me to fid out what accommodations we can provide. ::Edit::

Kindest regards,

Ray
  11. rayfigs

rayfigs

Does the above email address work for others? I am getting MAILER-DAEMON replies sending to unity@ethervision.net.

Thank you for taking the time to help with me with my question.

Kindest regards,

ray