Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone OS4 today

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by maxfax2009, Apr 8, 2010.

1. SteveB

SteveB

I would say that it is.

Epic win... :D

-Steve

2. 3Duaun

3Duaun

3. MetaMythril

MetaMythril

The blogosphere is on fire today. lol

4. Moonjump

Moonjump

5. jashan

jashan

Ok, Apple and me now can be friends again 8)

So, I guess I will buy an iPhone 4 in addition to the new iPod Touch I just ordered, just for the fun of it ... Italy, right? ;-)

Luvly, 3.3.1 is now a one-liner ... no it's no longer just "good will" that Apple approves Unity applications, terms and practice match again. This really is a good day.

6. SquiggleDome_2

SquiggleDome_2

Reading the new App Store Review Guidelines is a whopper!
    It totaly makes sense why Apple now allows 3rd-party tools and languages. They want to separate development from the final product. Every rejection is on that list!

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

8. Morgan

Morgan

Thank goodness Apple has it in them to reverse their blunders!

It’s been an anxious few months, but some genuine good has come out of it: I have learned that I actually look pretty good with white hair!!!

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the Citadel demo: THIS should convince Apple of the value of game middleware! (Although Apple seemed to be moving in this direction some time ago. Who knows?)

9. Incrediblue

Incrediblue

10. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

The long nightmare is over! Hooray! I wouldn't say I've forgiven them for needlessly putting us through all that, but I'll stop praying for a meteor to strike Cupertino now.

On the plus side, my latest game is built to be cross-platform from the ground up.

11. caitlyn

caitlyn

12. itech

itech

Thanks God for this ! There is so many "stupid" applications on App Store that are surranding lot's of quality ones , I hope that they will remove all this from store, maybe not in day or two but in few next months they will !

13. Hoff

Hoff

Unity Pro, here I come!

14. JamesMobot

JamesMobot

Wouldnt that be a fun job!

...."What's this? .... Touch to remove the non-animated zombies to earn points?

DELETE!"

15. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

Fantastic news !!!
    AppStore, I'm comming back !!! ;)

16. BigRedSwitch

BigRedSwitch

Don't get too excited - good news for us Unity fans, but it's also just approved the use of Adobe AIR, meaning lots of crappy flash games will start appearing very soon.

It could be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire when it comes to getting your product noticed on the App Store... :(

17. Foxxis

Foxxis

Not if they adhere to the what they state in the new review guidelines:

"We have over 250,000 apps in the App Store. We don't need any more Fart apps. If your app doesn't do something useful or provide some form of lasting entertainment, it may not be accepted.
    If your App looks like it was cobbled together in a few days, or you're trying to get your first practice App into the store to impress your friends, please brace yourself for rejection. We have lots of serious developers who don't want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour."

Good enough for me until I see things slip through. Mind you, under the new rules a very many Unity games would have been rejected as well...

18. CrystalVisions

CrystalVisions

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's nothing new, it's always been like that (except when it was 10MB until earlier this year).

--Eric

20. CrystalVisions

CrystalVisions

Yes there has always been a limit but apps have not been rejected for exceeding it. If that changes then I see a problem.

21. SteveJ

SteveJ

They're not going to reject apps that exceed the 20MB limit. Those apps just can't be downloaded over the carrier networks.

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

There's no indication whatsoever that they would ever reject apps for being over 20MB. I'm not sure why you would say "The 20MB limit is going to hurt" when there are no new limits. If anything, I'd expect the cellular download limit to be raised in the future; they've already done so once.

--Eric

23. CrystalVisions

CrystalVisions

Sorry, my bad, I misunderstood the line "Apps larger than 20MB in size will not download over cellular networks (this is automatically prohibited by the App Store)"

So wifi downloads of these apps are not affected and the apps are not rejected. Glad I was wrong.

24. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Well, it would have been entertaining to watch Cyan try to get Riven (1.5GB) under 20MB. ;)

--Eric

25. happybomb

happybomb

Indeed, but these Flash developed apps will sit nicely amongst all the other crap already on the app store made with Unity, objectiveC or whatever. Dont let it bother you.

26. donlien

donlien

Hi, pals, the search function of this forum seems broken, I can not search any keyword. (Firefox show me a blank page.)

I wonder is there any post or news can tell me when will the Unity iPhone 3.0 be released?

Thank you. :)

27. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

When the rest is released. Which should be within a couple of months. But they did say by the end of summer, so if you want to get your hopes up high, then it is by September 21.

28. Dreamora

Dreamora

Not needfully, though it was mentioned that iphone is intend to happen together with the desktop base upgrade to U3

But otherwise its "when its released" which might not needfully be related to core tech upgrades on the desktop

29. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Forgot about that part. Thanks :).

30. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

First of all, we appreciate all the work involved in this fantastic Engine that I named since the version 1.0 the "Photoshop of the realtime 3D".

I want to ask something though:
    why has the physics changed so much from Unity 1.7 Unity to 3.x ?

Talking about mobile development:
    we cannot port our older projects with physics involved properly to Android for this reason.

It behave differently and we tried really ANYTHING, from changing the collision type (discrete/continuous/continous dynamic) to change the Physics global settings, change the weights/MASS and the friction of the rigidbodies or even tweaking the physics materials.

NO WAY TO HAVE THE SAME GAME :-(

We are ready to trash the porting of 3 games to the android platform for this reason.
    I wish I had started the journey with Unity 3.x..because the editor is so much better now...

This is the main reason we upgraded to Unity3.3 and went also for the Android license, but we are worried about buying the pro(s).

We spent some nightmare nights to be able to port to Retina Display the game with 1.7 already.

What will happen when a 4.x version will be out while we are in the middle of some projects ?
    Trash again our work and not be able to port it to the newer platforms / generations ?

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  31. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes, unfortunately stuff breaks. People wanted the physics engine upgraded for ages, so that's what happened. If you want progress it's not always possible for everything to stay perfectly backwards compatible. You can expect that a major version upgrade will have some breakage, so it's generally a bad idea to do that kind of upgrade in the middle of a project. The .x upgrades are compatible, or at least that's the goal I think.

--Eric

32. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Yes but making a good game is a long task for an indie developer, even more if more platforms are planned.
    Anyway thanks to confirmed that stuff breaks :(

I'm in love with the new Editor so I'll dive into make a new game!

over and out!

33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thats the spirit. You cannot expect unity to remain still and stay out of date :)

To be honest if your old physics game does not feel right, it is probably more likely due to how you have coded it. You probably didn't use FixedUpdate() much? it is things like this that can wildly change the feel. Also perhaps other changes under the hood such as the models for physics materials you may wish to look at :) Without asking the forum why, and without more intel we can't help.

As for stuff that breaks, this happens in all engines, developers still have the option to use an older version in most cases. Sad for android :)

But yeah! new game incoming from Litobyte :) good luck.

34. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

What type of project would break that much you cant make it work (since it is basically the same physics engine pyhsx).

35. Dreamora

Dreamora

anything that used one of the aspects where the outdated physx version in unity 2.x would differ enough from the 3.x counterpart.

there are a few places this can happen due to changes, but its normally a matter of just updating the settings to be right again etc, nothing world breaking. naturally if you hardcoded values, it can take quite some time

36. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

The code is just right. Fixed Update is used for the few to say the truth physic computation our game need,
    but something change in the friction and even more in the way the minimum penetration penalty is calculated.

We are trying now various changes with HALF the minimum penetration penalty and is going better, but is still not the same in certain parts of the game.

We hope to bring a good experience for our title on the Market too,
    let's see what happen with this next tests..

Thanks! We already dived into the new thing.
    New projects are always like fresh air.