Search Unity

iOS game size on the store

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Khaled-Khair, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Khaled-Khair

Khaled-Khair

We are facing an issue with our new game download size on the store, we are using :
    - Unity 5.0.2
    - Xcode 7.0.1

After building the game with unity and archiving it in xCode, if we export the archive to ipa ( Save for iOS App Store Deployment , without app symbols), the ipa size is 39.4MB, but when we submit the game to App Store (through xCode organizer directly, or using the Application Loader with the ipa), Testflight shows the game size to be 172.9 MB !!!! which is a huge problem, many players will not download the game because of that.

Any help will be much appreciated.

-Khaled

2. mdrotar

mdrotar

Are you using Truecolor textures and sprites?

3. Khaled-Khair

Khaled-Khair

Yes, some of the sprites are Truecolor, would that be the reason? why?

4. HuuPC

HuuPC

I have same problem here, after update game with build from xcode 7, my games are almost double size:(. Someone on Stackoverflow point out the problem is bitcode, but I had turned off bitcode option.

5. mdrotar

mdrotar

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/qa/qa1795/_index.html

Maybe it's not Truecolor sprites specifically, but anything that compresses well going in will no longer compress well after uploading to the App Store.

6. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

7. Khaled-Khair

Khaled-Khair

update: I checked the compressed file size in iTunes connect -> My Apps -> [Game]-> Activity-> Build details and it is showing 85.8 MB, so what does this mean?

8. polovaikin

polovaikin

I solved this problem! Just move back to xcode 6.4 version! :)

9. Andrey-Postelzhuk

Andrey-Postelzhuk

This is not the problem solving. This is just time delay.

We have the same issue. ipa size is 42MB and App Store shows 131MB.
    Here was mentioned that "apple displays the file size on device instead of actual file size of the download"
    Is't strange. How can apple know the file size on device before downloading and installing?

If this real because of files compression, did anyone find the solution for this?

10. Khaled-Khair

Khaled-Khair

OK, so now we have the app on the store, I can share my findings:
    1- The app size on the iTunes web itunes.apple.com is 47.3 MB
    2- The app size when viewed from an iPad2 app store is 152 MB
    3- From iPhone 6 is 155 MB
    4- The size reported in iTunesConnect for the same build (Activity->All Build->....) is Compressed File Size: 67.1 MB

Basically there is no accurate way to tell the app size on the store, and there are different sizes for different devices.
    Honestly to have a game balloon in size ( from 40 MB to 155MB) because of Apple encrypting the binaries is sad ( I don want to use other words...) with huge effects on install conversion

Andrey-Postelzhuk likes this.
  11. sekari

sekari

We have the same issue.

We use Unity 4.6.8p4, XCode 7 and IL2CPP Universal build option (both for armv7 and arm64) to develop our app.

Our game: (iPhone 6)
    1) In AppStore 162mb
    2) Actually downloaded file size on device 62.2mb (Analyzed using a Web Proxy Tool)
    3) Installed app size on device 150mb. (Never opened)

Candy Crush Soda Saga - King: (iPhone 6)
    1) In AppStore 73mb
    2) Actually downloaded file size on device 70mb (Analyzed using a Web Proxy Tool)
    3) Installed app size on device 125mb. (Never opened)

Why our game seems to have a bigger file size than Candy Crush Soda Saga? I urgently need an explanation.

The interesting point is when you try to download our app using 3g on iPhone 6 (162mb on Store), app gets downloaded successfully without any error. However we are extremely uncomfortable due to conversion rates.

Thank you for your help

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Andrey-Postelzhuk likes this.
  12. sworderzhang

sworderzhang

It seems be a bug of Apple, but I don't known it's from XCode 7 or from AppStore.
    I faced this issue, what I only can do is download XCode 6.4 and rebuild and commit again.
    Apple is so irresponsible in this thing.

13. atpkewl

atpkewl

Hi, are you allowed to submit app using XCode 6.4 ?

I am facing the same issue, my app on Testflight shows 125MB, where after installing from Testflight to iPhone6s, it's only 21.5MB.

14. tonyb_

tonyb_

I am having the same issue. I have an Android APK version of the Unity build that is approx. 30Mb in size. The equivalent iOS build (on the Apple Store) is being displayed as 190Mb.

This is due, I believe, to the requirement to have both a 32bit and 64bit version of the build, and nothing to do with texture compression, etc.