Search Unity

Inventory System - from Brackeys

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by mrgohut, May 9, 2014.

1. mrgohut

mrgohut

2. Erisat

Erisat

haven't used it but if you show us your errors and the related code maybe someone could give some insight on where the mistake is.

3. mrgohut

mrgohut

Hmm okay, so first :
    when i want to pick up item, i got this error
    and this is in Inventory.cs script, this lane:
    Code (csharp):
    1.         newContents.CopyTo(Contents); //Array to unity builtin array
    (AddItem) void.
    http://pastebin.com/p7VARRKj

4. iamsteele

iamsteele

I've run into the same problem, Apparently Contents is a public Transform[], and newContents is a local ArrayList that is attempting to .CopyTo() ... and for some reason it isn't allowing Contents to be a dynamic array and automatically update itself with the appropriate indexes? essentially the .CopyTo() function is failing.

5. iamsteele

iamsteele

Doing Debug.Log (Contents.IsFixedSize); returns true, so Transform[] Contents is not a variable width array.

Use System.Array.Resize(ref Contents, size) to resize it, and then Contents[indexofitem] to assign to it, remove the ArrayLists entirely from the code, they're rather worthless. Write out your own function for moving items to the left starting from where you remove the item under the remove function, and from where you equip it in the equip function, and so on.

The next error you find will be a null reference when equipping, and the solution to that is in the Character.cs update

GameObject Clone = blah

to

GameObject Clone;
    Clone = GameObject.Instantiate (item.equippedWeaponVersion, WeaponSlot.position, WeaponSlot.rotation) as GameObject;

where item.equippedWeaponVersion is a public Transform, change that to GameObject in code, and update your reference to your weapon slot in the editor.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014