Search Unity

Inventory Pro - uGUI - Performance - Mobile support & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, Mar 8, 2015.

?

What should I build next?

1. New currency system

14.1%
  2. Improved serialization / saving for web

10.8%
  3. Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)

27.2%
  4. Controller support

15.4%
  5. Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

36.9%
  6. More modular build to simplify extending

25.1%
  7. UFPS Multiplayer (Asset integration)

11.5%
  8. Core GameKit (Asset integration)

4.1%
  9. Dialogue system (Asset integration)

21.3%
  10. Wordpress integration (Asset integration)

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I created a new inventory window from "scratch" (panel with inventory script) and it works fine. It blocks the UFPS input just fine. What should I try next?

2. Muralidaran

Muralidaran

3. wood333

wood333

nudge - Response to my questions Nov 15 above?

4. jorisshh

jorisshh

You could try removing the 'faulty' component and re-adding it again. Not sure how any of it could have gone wrong, but you never know. If this doesn't work, you might want to re-create the window that doesn't work by moving over all components but the UIWindow (you know you can copy components, right :p ?)

5. jorisshh

jorisshh

Ah, yes I remember :); I'll try to jam it in the next update

6. jorisshh

jorisshh

Did you mean the same question as Muralidaran? Otherwise a quote would help :)

7. jorisshh

jorisshh

That 3D effect though :D

(just faked it in the design, so there are some depth issues, but it might be a cool one to build, worldspace maybe?)

AshyB and danreid70 like this.
  8. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I am able to fix the issue, but I don't know why it was a problem in the first place, or why this fixes things, but..

The Inventory Window prefab had a UI Window Sync component. Other Windows size was set to 1, but the window was set to none. If I set the size to zero, or remove the component, then Block UFPS Input is honored. If I turn it back to size on and leave it blank, I eventually realized that it errors. I wonder if the error is ultimate cause of the issue.

jorisshh likes this.
  9. danreid70

danreid70

Looks very slick! That depth: very "holographic". Could think of a few uses for it - what were you intending? Preview of objects in inventory? Holo-health (or other) stat indicator? Spawn placement indicator? Just a few uses I thought of right away.
    Is it animated (I bet it is... ;) )... Got an animated gif of it in action?

10. jorisshh

jorisshh

Ah, glad you found it :) I've added an extra check to the code to notify a proper warning when there are UIWindowSync components with empty fields

hopeful likes this.
  11. jorisshh

jorisshh

Thinking about item preview, as well as some sort of minimap design (although likely minimized in that case), stat indicators indeed, or maybe a 'circle' around the player that indicates objects in range and quests. So something like a world-space minimap that contains information about the area.

Not animated just yet, still in the designing fase, should be done with designing in a week or so, then I'll start building it in Unity and do the animations :)

12. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Minimap? Um, I already have a really good minimap solution.

13. jorisshh

jorisshh

Don't worry, I won't build a minimap solution :p, there's plenty solutions out there. I will however design one, so you can later integrate it in your favorite solution with minimal complexity :)

99thmonkey likes this.
  14. jorisshh

jorisshh

Inventory and item details page, the sci-fi circle thing isn't half bad as the hologram base. I do need a cool shader / effect for the item though :D

I couldn't decide to go with the grid-view or a list-view for the inventory, so I just went with both (Yup, solid reasoning, I know :))

The user can switch between the 2 styles, of course you, as the developer, can enforce a list-view or grid-view, whichever you prefer.

AshyB, montyfi and Lee7 like this.
  15. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Um, looks awesome. Timing?? Not that I'm rushing you, just trying to get a rough idea. I may just add the inventory last since everything will be prefabs.

16. jorisshh

jorisshh

I'm aiming to release it before the end of the year. Might be sooner, but certainly not later :)

At about 50% with the design (got about 15 pages down), then I'll move it all to Unity which will take about 3-4 days I'm guessing. And then a week to do all animations and fancy stuff, and another week for documentation and polishing.

17. wood333

wood333

No, my questions are different.

First, I paid you a nice complement, then I asked:

My other question is:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  18. jorisshh

jorisshh

I currently don't have any plans to integrate Inventory Pro with ORK, simply because of the lack of time. You could of course ask the ORK Framework creator if he has the time to integrate it into Inventory Pro (you never know..)

Remapping of keys is a bit of a tough one, right now the dependency on the unity Input is hardcoded and not easily replacable. I could do something like Input modules that handle the input, allowing any input system to be used (as long as an input module is written for it of course). Which things would you like to move to cInput? Window key combinations? Wrapper (item slots) clicking / right click / left click etc? Anything I've missed?

19. magique

magique

A couple of questions. I just finished video tutorial #2 and have an item in my scene ready to loot. However, I notice that the item was created on a Layer that doesn't exist. So, I tried to find the documentation on layers, but didn't see anything. What layer numbers and names should I add?

Second, I'm doing my inventory/looting Skyrim style. I have a crosshair in my scene that when hovering over an item will display information about the item. If it can be looted then it will display text on how to loot it (e.g. Press X to take). I'm assuming I should then just call the PickupItem() function. Is that correct?

hopeful likes this.
  20. magique

magique

I'm getting the following error whenever I get close to a lootable item:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Devdog.InventorySystem.ObjectTriggererBase.get_inRange () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/Triggerers/ObjectTriggererBase.cs:53)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryInputManager.GetHoveringTriggerer (Vector2 pos) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/InventoryInputManager.cs:246)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryInputManager.ManuallyCheckHoveringTriggerers (Vector2 pos) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/InventoryInputManager.cs:171)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryInputManager.CheckRaycastsWhenCursorMoves () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/InventoryInputManager.cs:133)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryInputManager.Update () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/InventoryInputManager.cs:115)

21. jorisshh

jorisshh

The layers are defined in Tools > Inventory Pro > Main editor > Settings editors > Layers tab. Here you can set the layer number.

And yup, that's exactly right :)

hopeful likes this.
  22. jorisshh

jorisshh

Make sure you add the Range helper to your player (check the setup wizard for this), and make sure your player has the InventoryPlayer component attached to it.

23. magique

magique

Found it. But what do they mean? I assume Local Player should be the Player layer, but as for Equipment and Item World, I have no clue.

24. magique

magique

Very strange. I had the InventoryPlayer part, but as soon as I added the range helper, I'm no longer able to move my character. I'm using Third Person Controller by Opsive. So, I deleted InventoryPlayer and InventoryPlayerRangeHelper and it worked again. I then add back in InventoryPlayer and it is still able to move. But then when I finally add back in the range helper, it can no longer move. Any ideas?

25. Hans

Hans

How is the New Docs coming along and the new Video's Jorisshh ?

26. jorisshh

jorisshh

Not sure why this happens. The range helper should be ignored by raycasts, so I'm not sure why this is a problem for the Third Person Controller. I don't have a copy of Third person controller, so that's a bit of a tough one to crack, you could ask opsive if he has a clue.

One thing to check is, is the rangehelper object set to the IgnoreRaycast layer? (at run-time)

27. jorisshh

jorisshh

The documentation is at http://devdog.nl/document/inventory-pro/ if you're missing something, let me know and I'll add it to the docs :)

Video tutorials are still a few weeks away, I should have some spare time at the end of December.

28. magique

magique

Yeah, I thought itn was strange too. I've sent Justin a message as well because he's been working on integration, but no answer so far. I looked at the code and saw that the range helper uses a sphere collider, but changes it to the ignore raycast layer. I'll check if it remains that way at runtime. The one thing to note is that Third Person Controller does already have a sphere collider attached and it's disabled by default. So, I assume that the range helper is grabbing that and using it. Not sure how that would affect it though.

29. magique

magique

Well, I'm stumped for the moment. The player controller is always on ignore raycast layer, but something is causing it to be frozen in place. I'll keep looking at it and await Justin's reply, but nothing so far.

30. magique

magique

I got a response back from Justin. The problem is that the range helper script cannot be placed directly on the same game object as the third person controller because it sets the rigidbody to kinematic, which prevents the movement. I have to add an empty child gameobject and put the range helper script there. Now it works.

jorisshh and hopeful like this.
  31. Lee7

Lee7

Holy crap.

Would buy.

AshyB and jorisshh like this.
  32. dayero

dayero

Will there be an update to inventory pro this month?
    I am suffering from playmaker event integration withdrawal :( - Yes, it's a real condition!

33. jorisshh

jorisshh

Aiming for a release by the end of the week, just 2 more bugs to fix :) (Keep in mind that Unity needs some time to process as well, so it hopefully it will all be live next week. )

hopeful likes this.
  34. jorisshh

jorisshh

Sci-fi design -- Server browser for FPS / MMO games

With filters of course :)

AshyB and elias_t like this.
  35. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Looks nice! I hope you retain the ability to tweak the colors. Like maybe I want Purple instead of the blue highlight or White instead of the Yellow/orange line. :)

jorisshh likes this.
  36. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yes of course, Unity's UI can make flat colors without any images at all, so most of these things can be done without any images at all :). But yes, designing the interface with the primary color (orange) and secondary color (blue), but these can of course be changed later on, to any color you'd like

99thmonkey likes this.
  37. Lee7

Lee7

I hope you sell just the image elements of that nice UI, thats the only stuff i would need.

I wrote my own inventory system and its already integrated with PlayFab so it would be a PITA use use Inventory Pro although it looks good.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  38. jorisshh

jorisshh

Thought about only releasing it for IPro, but I think I could do a standalone version, and give IPro users a discount, considering they already have to buy IPro and all :)

39. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

Hello,

I recently purchased Inventory Pro and am seeing this issue, with the controller support scene (the system I really wanted to use) seem to be acting up. When I press pause the menu comes up but does not pause the scene like in the video or show the gray overlay. Most of the commands don't work either and i see some other images i don't think should be there.

Any idea what is going on?

40. jorisshh

jorisshh

This happened to another user before as well. If I recall correctly it was fixed by simply re-importing Inventory Pro :)

41. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

That did not fix the issue, I tried a brand new project and imported, still does the same thing :(
    I even tried re-downloading and importing, still no change.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  42. jorisshh

jorisshh

There's a bunch of warnings, are there any warnings or errors other than "Parameter missing"? (Likely all the way at the top)

43. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

These show on import

Also unity keeps crashing when i test the controller scene and 90% of the time when i import the package.

I am using Unity 5.2.1f1

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  44. r3nrohan

r3nrohan

Hi, I am total noob here, I had my seperate player movement and stats script, however as soon as I integrated the package, it shows lot of problems. upload_2015-12-6_7-20-27.png

45. jorisshh

jorisshh

It seems you're missing a bunch of files somehow. Not sure how this happened though. I'll be pushing an update tonight (v2.3.1) hopefully this will fix the issue.

Did Unity crash while importing the package?

hopeful likes this.
  46. r3nrohan

r3nrohan

Umm this happens only when my script is in use so my guess is, it can be parameter collision. If it is the case, can you make list of parameter name thats not to be used.

47. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

I upgraded to Unty 5.2.3f1 and it fixed all the issues, must have been some glitches with the gui system. I still get the last errors I posted but the inventory system works as it should now.

48. r3nrohan

r3nrohan

Ye
    At beginning yes while in my working project, but it works fine in empty projects

49. jorisshh

jorisshh

Pushing the new version as we speak; Could you try the new version and see if the same issue persists? I can't be certain, but most likely this update will fix your problems :)

hopeful likes this.
  50. jorisshh

jorisshh

Version 2.3.1 - Time for another update :)

New:
    Requirement triggers (Triggers can now have property requirements in order to trigger them)
    Getting started window + version number
    Added trigger affector (add traps, damage reduction, areas with effect, etc)
    CharacterUI now uses the new InventoryStatContainer that can be re-used on other objects / creature as well.
    - IInventoryCharacterStat interface for stats to allow custom implementations.
    - Character stats now grabbed from stats container (Old methods deprecated)
    Updated dialogue system integration
    Playmaker events ( http://devdog.nl/documentation/playmaker-events/ )
    New playmaker actions

Crafting audio sources - Audio clips are now set in category and can be overwitten in crafting category to give each category a unique audio set. + contious audioclip.
    Vendors can now have "inventories" - When items are sold they can be added directly to the vendor's buy page.
    InfoBox.HandleItemTrigger now protected virtual to allow overriding
    Abstraction in pouch to allow overriding generator
    Setting currency stack size now affects the currency amount. Useful for generators to generate a N amount of currency.
    Better warning messages for InventoryItemUtility, plus character collection no longer required (not assertion, but debug)
    Extra warnings on InventoryManager to notify users when trying to add items without actually having assigned any collections
    Extra check in ObjectTriggererBase + ObjectTriggererFPSUI now has string format to allow customization of key press text format
    Equippable items now always go for the first slot and use the manually defined collection order when equipping.
    Manually define collections now scan the container for wrappers and use the hierarchy order.
    CharacterUI CharacterStats are now protected, use the GetStat() method instead
    Equippable inventory item assertions to catch bugs before they manifest
    Dialogue new quest item to start a quest (use item to start quest)
    Start craft event
    New input system to limit input to specified gameObjects to avoid input on triggers when in full-screen UI elements.

Fixes:
    UFPS UI Fixes
    Crafting blueprint editor fixes
    Draggable window to Screen.width / height instead of camera pixel width / height
    Cleanup - Removed lightmap snapshot from controller scene - Crashed asset import somehow
    Icon drag fix for camera space (Editor is bugged, but builds work fine?) + Marked Update of skillbar virtual to allow custom actions
    Item duplication fixed (reference objects duplicated)
    Vendor UI fixed in
    Setupwizard fix
    Lootable objects & generator stacks always 1 - fixed

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    julianr, hopeful and cygnusprojects like this.