Search Unity

Inventory Pro - uGUI - Performance - Mobile support & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, Mar 8, 2015.

?

What should I build next?

1. New currency system

14.1%
  2. Improved serialization / saving for web

10.8%
  3. Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)

27.2%
  4. Controller support

15.4%
  5. Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

36.9%
  6. More modular build to simplify extending

25.1%
  7. UFPS Multiplayer (Asset integration)

11.5%
  8. Core GameKit (Asset integration)

4.1%
  9. Dialogue system (Asset integration)

21.3%
  10. Wordpress integration (Asset integration)

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jorisshh

jorisshh

The inventory and character are 2 separate collections and can be used in separate windows is you'd like to do so. The attached image is the UI I created for the controller support, even though it works with a mouse, it's designed for the controller.

If you'd like separate windows you can copy the canvas from the 8.AllDone scene, just don't forget to add the WindowFaker from the UFPS scene, as well as the object triggerer UI

2. jorisshh

jorisshh

The error is caused by an editor group that isn't cleaned up, where exactly inside the UI does it happen? What exactly did you do before it appeared? It's only an editor UI bug, so it won't affect your game in any way.

Could you tell me where to plugins folder is located? I don't have any folders named "plugin" inside the inventory system's folder. And I've only explicitly uploaded the /InventorySystem/ folder.

3. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

when i click "create item" i have this error

there is two folders inside the root of asset you committed:
    - InventoryPro
    -Plugins

if you import it into an empty project you will see that you have lot of error null reference because of UFPS and photon source files

4. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Hey Jorissh,

The more I read about this asset the more I fall in love with it. The only thing I worry about is when the money stops coming in for you and you are forced to spend your time else where...

Will you make this open source so those who have purchased it can continue to develop it further and continue using it?

5. jorisshh

jorisshh

That's the thing, I made a clean export
    I recently started using a tool that moves 3rd party applications to a plugins folder to avoid re-compiling it when your own code changes. Basically to keep compile times low.

However the Unity asset store plugin blatantly uploads your plugins folder without any warning. I've already contacted the asset store team requesting a quick update cycle. Guess I always learn things the hard way ^^

For now, please remove the Assets/Plugins folder from your project, and all should be fine.

6. jorisshh

jorisshh

I'm considering creating a free version of Inventory Pro (named Inventory Indie) with only the bare essentials.

I honestly don't think it's a problem though, assets like UFPS have been in development for what? More than 2 years? And the creators are still working on them. I honestly think there are more games that require an inventory than there are that need a FPS system ( target audience wise ).

At some point, yes, I will likely start putting time into a 2nd asset, I don't think I'll open-source Inventory Pro's full code though :)

7. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

I meant when you eventually decide to abandon the asset, could be a week from now or a decade, as you stated about UFPS, you could end up running with this for years.

Well I love the sound of the product and I feel like you will continue to improve it, so shut up and take my money lol.

8. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

-I cant find the Key combination in new version, where can i find it ? ( press I to open UiWindow)
    -Can i safely delete InventoryInputManager.cs from my manager ? i dont want to use controller..

got a small request could you add something like
    public void Toggle()
    {
    if(open)
    Hide()
    else
    Show()
    }

on UIWindow.cs that way we can toggle it only with one button from our UI Button.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  9. jorisshh

jorisshh

Well in that case I might as well show the next enhancement ^^

Improved restrictions for collections:
    Create your own complex filters for collections, all items that you want to place inside the collection have to abide to these filters.

Of course, we can also use this for item generation as well (will show this soon)

Richardm1985 likes this.
  10. jorisshh

jorisshh

UIWindow has no key combinations, if you'd like to use those use the UIWIndowInteractive instead. ( Use UIWIndowInteractive for windows that can be toggled / shown / hidden, these are the windows that can be hidden using the new settings menu )

And nope you need the InventoryInputManager, it also handles input for the mouse.

Windows already have a Toggle() method?

11. hopeful

hopeful

I'm just now looking at the new version - haven't dug into it at all yet - and I was wondering if it is an easy thing to get the mouse-over item targeting info to show up in a window that operates under the same rules as the other windows ... in other words, a static position that the player can drag around as needed to customize their UI. And the window can be toggled on and off with, say, a "T" key, like the I and C windows.

The system you currently have set up is nice for some purposes (kind of like a tool tip), but I'm thinking it would be a good option to have a standard UI window for it as well (especially for items with larger blocks of text, where a scrolling window might be good).

12. MrWilson

MrWilson

Works fairly well although i'm having to change a bit to get it working. The Null check you added seems to freeze up your plygame integration example.
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Models.InventoryCharacterStat.NotifyCharacterCollection () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/CharacterEquipment/Models/InventoryCharacterStat.cs:207)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Models.InventoryCharacterStat.SetMaxValueRaw (Single value, Boolean andIncreaseCurrentValue, Boolean fireEvents) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/CharacterEquipment/Models/InventoryCharacterStat.cs:183)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Models.InventoryCharacterStat..ctor (Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryPlayer player, System.String statName, Single baseValue, Single maxValue, Boolean showInUI) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/CharacterEquipment/Models/InventoryCharacterStat.cs:96)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Models.InventoryCharacterStat..ctor (Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryPlayer player, Devdog.InventorySystem.Models.InventoryItemProperty property)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.CharacterStatsPropertiesDataProvider.Prepare (System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 appendTo) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/CharacterEquipment/StatDataProviders/CharacterStatsPropertiesDataProvider.cs:34)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.CharacterUI.PrepareCharacterStats () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/CharacterEquipment/CharacterUI.cs:253)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.CharacterUI.Awake () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/CharacterEquipment/CharacterUI.cs:101)
    When commented out it will run but still doesn't find the Plystat in Plygamecharacterstatsdataprovider. I'll just build around this with my own solutions. Anyone else following the standard build method from the plygame site could run into this however.

Edit : I'll triple check stuff on my end to make sure it's not something with my upgrade process. Great work love the setup wizard!

13. jorisshh

jorisshh

I've added an option called showHideWindow to the InfoBoxUI, when disabled it won't show hide the window when you hover off an object. Combined with the already existing "positionAtMouse" you can create the window you're looking for :). Just change the UI to your liking, slap on a draggableWindow component, and it'll do exactly what you described.

Of course (almost) all methods are virtual so you can override / add your own behavior if you like ^^

hopeful likes this.
  14. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

using UFPS integration im having the cursor that dont want to hide since the update:
    -ufps integration ticked
    -InventoryUFPSInputController: Hide cursor on no blocking window = true
    -UIWindow block ufps = true

is there something else i missed?

EDIT: Problem solved on skype

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  15. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hm.. no that should about do it. Does the demo scene work for you? I'm not able to re-produce the problem

16. jorisshh

jorisshh

Fixed the null ref bug, and all seems to work according to plan. If you run into some trouble, let me know and I'll be sure to fix it :)

17. hopeful

hopeful

Do we have a built-in option for a tabbed window?

Let's say instead of lumping all my inventory into one bin, I prefer to have apples and grapes in one bin, weapons and armor in another, and miscellaneous clothing items in yet another. But I want to have them all accessed from the same "I" window, where the player clicks a tab at the top of the window to move from one inventory to the next.

18. jorisshh

jorisshh

There are UIWindowPages that function as tabs, an UIWindow can have as many UIWindowPages as you like (tabs), but only 1 can be active at a time. Have a peek at the vendor window.

hopeful likes this.
  19. jorisshh

jorisshh

A more advanced (serialized) editor

This allows you to create filter groups, each group can generate a set of items based on the defined filters. For example,

Group1: Generates 1 equippable item with less than 10 strength and less rarity than Unique ( which leaves Junk & Normal )

Group2: Generates 1-3 food items with a stack size of 1 to 2

This allows you set up some complex generators :) (UI needs some tweaking)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    cygnusprojects and 99thmonkey like this.
  20. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

how can i avoid Skill bar slot to have that white icon when they are empty? i have tried to modify the normal and greyed material but no success.

21. jorisshh

jorisshh

Most likely there's something wrong in the UI_Item_PFB (the wrapper prefab) that you defined in the collection or in your settings (most likely the skillbar collection). Once you remove an item it returns to it's original sprite, which is what you define in the prefab.

22. TRoNDaNeflin

TRoNDaNeflin

I've waited a few day to upgrade to version 2.2. I had all configured and some other integrated systems working nicely and I was very affraid of what could happen after the upgrade. And I was right! :\

Yesterday I spent all afternoon trying to import the new version and fix the project errors and inconsistencies. And I really need some help because I've stalled just by thinking I have to start ecerything from scratch after having around 50 triggered objects on my map that stopped working...

The new version imported to a New Projet is working with just one error related to DPadHorizontal not existing. Well I'm developing a standalone game so why should I have to assign inputs axes that I don't need just because they are kinda hardcoded on some new components?

In my dev project (I followed the upggrade video and things weren't so smooth as they should) I have no errors but everything stopped working. And by everything I mean Triggered Objects (vendors, mobs, treasures, bank, chests... everything!).

On a desperate move to try to understand what's happening and put the project on the rails, I copied from AllDone scene the _Managers, the complete Canvas, Triggerers and even Ethan. But I got the exactly same behaviour: no errors but not functional :\

I'm a bit lost about what to do... Well, I can spend another day or two to figure what need to be done but some help pointing me to the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

23. jorisshh

jorisshh

I think I'll need a more hands down approach to figure out what went wrong, do you have Skype / Teamviewer? My Skype username is "jorisshh".

24. TRoNDaNeflin

TRoNDaNeflin

Sorry, I don't have means of doing a videochat on my current workstation. But resuming: everything seems to be functional except triggerers don't trigger :p

Here's a pic of my dev scene with all objects from previous version disabled and the new ones UNTOUCHED enabled.

I think if you can just tell me what possible can make the character not trigger the triggerers, it may help.

25. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hm.. A few things you can check:

- Try opening the new upgrade wizard in Tools/Inventory Pro/Setup wizard and see if there are any errors / warnings.
    - Make sure you've got the new InventoryTriggererManager attached to your _Managers object.
    - Make sure you've set the using distance in the settings, this defines the using radius of an triggerer.

Let me know if any of these solve your problem, if not we'll dive in further ^^

26. Snownebula

Snownebula

I think these 2 items go hand-in-hand. What is the point of multiplayer if you can not save?

Improved serialization / saving for web
    Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

27. TRoNDaNeflin

TRoNDaNeflin

Setup wizard says 'No problems found'
    InventoryTriggererManager is attached to _Managers object
    Using distance is set to 5.
    No errors or warnings at all in the project.

I'll keep trying but if there's something more that I should check or any approach I should test, please tell me.

One more thing. I know it's related to the problem but when I point the mouse to any triggered object I don't see the use or pick cursors as usual and they are assigned to the components.

28. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hm.. tough one, perhaps the triggerer itself has the following option disabled?

Let me know if you can Skype or use Teamviewer, because I don't think making blind guesses is going to do the trick :)

29. TRoNDaNeflin

TRoNDaNeflin

I think I found the problem. It's related to Layers. My CharCtlr is a bit complex and has a sort of filter to enable or disable the layers we don't want him to colide to 'wall run' . One of that disableded layers was UI. And for some reason the triggerers 'belong' to it. Well, they really don't belong to the layer UI but the true is when I mark layer UI as a Wall Run layer, I can interact with all triggered objects.

So I'm on the right way. :)

30. jorisshh

jorisshh

Ah nice :) glad you fixed it, in the upcoming version I ripped out the default Unity OnMouseEnter and Exit, and added custom raycasting because unity's enter exit MonoBehaviours work rather poorly with the new UI system. This should at the same time fix the issue you ran into, as it gives a lot more freedom as well.

31. TRoNDaNeflin

TRoNDaNeflin

After all, the problem was not as I've mentioned (the layers thing) but something much more tricky and weird. And maybe related with the OnMouseEnter vs raycast thing.

The problem occurs when the camera is zoomed out far from the triggered object. In FirstPerson there's no problem because everything is in range to trigger the vendor or whatever. But my game is a ThirdPerson so I didn't understood the origin of the issue because I was always zoomed out. I need to zoom in to the triggered object (but near means really near and absolutely in front) to see the 'use' cursor and be able to interact. Else it's like nothing is there even if Player is glued to the object.

32. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hm.. did you attach the InventoryPlayer component to your camera perhaps? It's used to define the distance to the triggerers.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  33. TRoNDaNeflin

TRoNDaNeflin

Haha :) O'rly?!

No, just try it for yoursekf on you own scene. Change the tansform Z of your camera pivot to something over 10 and you'll see what I mean...

You can't interact with the object anymore!

34. jorisshh

jorisshh

Damn you're right, that's so weird lol, will look into it right away, see if I did something stupid in my code ^^

hopeful likes this.
  35. jorisshh

jorisshh

After much searching, and feeling like a complete idiot, I found the problem :)

The new triggerer detection system uses a sphere trigger to keep track of all the items that are in range. I did this to unify the item triggerers / range triggeres and fps triggerers (for FPS games, 3rd person games to pickup the nearest item, etc ).

Anywho, when you move the camera back far enough it will be outside of the sphere and collide with it, hence the click events never get fired, because they hit the sphere... ( yup.... :) )

So, to fix simply move the sphere to the Ignore raycasts layer. (I've enforced this in code to avoid future problems)

36. TRoNDaNeflin

TRoNDaNeflin

Nice. That fixed it! :)

37. jorisshh

jorisshh

Fancy new currencies

The new currencies can be defined in the editor. You can set up the basic information like the single and plural name, an icon etc.

The string formatting allows you to display the currency any way like. For example, {0} is the current amount of the currency, while {1} is the min amount, etc.

By doing something like {0}/{2} {3} -> you get as an output 5/100 Rubies

From now on all non-reference based collections can contain currencies, for example the bank, a vendor, the inventories, etc. In The witcher 3 the vendors have currencies as well, once they're out of coins they won't be able to buy any of your goods anymore. I haven't build this specific vendor feature yet, but considering it :)

99thmonkey and cygnusprojects like this.
  38. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

when will this you commit the new update?

39. jorisshh

jorisshh

Likely somewhere this week, I'll be going on vacation soon, so I'm getting the update out before then.

Currently wrapping up the currency system ( Items, crafting, collections all need to use the new system ), once this is done I'll push the update. Shouldn't take more than 2 days I think.

julianr likes this.
  40. Snownebula

Snownebula

I have a problem on the last build of this.
    Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/ItemFilters/Models/InventoryItemFilter.cs(105,45): error CS1061: Type `Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemManager' does not contain a definition for `itemRarities' and no extension method `itemRarities' of type `Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemManager' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

41. jorisshh

jorisshh

It appears something went wrong with the upload, not certain why, but a rename should fix the problem.

Open ItemManager and rename itemRaritys to itemRarities this should fix your problem.

42. takapi

takapi

Hi, Jorisshh.

I have set the sword to the item.
    At that time, I have set the sword of the model.
    However, the sword when I throw away the items from the inventory is now on the porch.
    To throw away the sword of the model instead of the porch, I will be able to do?

At the same one another
    Distance throw away the item, or do not have the distance from the camera?

43. jorisshh

jorisshh

Inside the main editor there's item rarities. These rarities can contain a drop object. Many games don't actually drop the model, but instead a pouch, box etc. If you'd like to drop the actual model instead, leave the drop object empty.

And the dropping behavior you can modify in the settings :)

44. Snownebula

Snownebula

The tutorial videos need updated or something. There is a few inconsistencies in the videos and what I have. I can not find the spot to where you set up the key to open the window.

45. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yep I know, I'll redo the 1st video tutorial once the currency is done, so I can cover both in 1 go :)

And the windows changed a little bit, there's UIWIndow which is static and has no key combination, and there UIWindowInteractive which contains a key combination.

99thmonkey likes this.
  46. Snownebula

Snownebula

I'm having some trouble crating an object. Any ideas how to fix it? I am trying to follow the tutorial as much as possible. I get this:

an object
    Devdog.InventorySystem.ObjectTriggererBase.get_inRange () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/Triggerers/ObjectTriggererBase.cs:40)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.ObjectTriggererItem.OnMouseDown () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/Triggerers/ObjectTriggererItem.cs:82)
    UnityEngine.SendMouseEvents:DoSendMouseEvents(Int32, Int32)

47. jorisshh

jorisshh

There is either no InventoryPlayer in your scene (did you attach an InventoryPlayer component to a character?), or there is no range helper on your player. The easiest way to resolve these would be to open the setup wizard and follow the explanations (Tools/Inventory Pro/Setup wizard

48. Snownebula

Snownebula

Hmm, I was trying to create an item with the scroll from your demo and I get this when I select the model from the Item Creation window:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.ItemEditor.<CreateNewItem>m__29 (System.Type type, UnityEngine.GameObject obj, UnityEditor.EditorWindow thisWindow) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/Editor/InventoryEditors/Items/ItemEditor.cs:89)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryCreateNewItemEditor.CreateItem (System.Type type, UnityEngine.GameObject model) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/Editor/InventoryEditors/Items/Windows/InventoryCreateNewItemEditor.cs:296)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryCreateNewItemEditor.Step2 () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/Editor/InventoryEditors/Items/Windows/InventoryCreateNewItemEditor.cs:284)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryCreateNewItemEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/Editor/InventoryEditors/Items/Windows/InventoryCreateNewItemEditor.cs:113)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:185)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:178)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:74)

49. jorisshh

jorisshh

Probably because there's no settings manager in the scene, please follow the video tutorials, or try setting it up with the setup wizard.

50. takapi

takapi

Hi, Jorisshh.
    Thanks, for your reply. :)

http://i.imgur.com/qoMBjHF.png

"Max Drop Distance" in this image, what distance from the camera?
    Or is it the distance from the player?
    If if the distance from the camera, I want you to the distance from the player.