Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Inventory Pro - uGUI - Performance - Mobile support & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, Mar 8, 2015.

?

What should I build next?

1. New currency system

14.1%
  2. Improved serialization / saving for web

10.8%
  3. Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)

27.2%
  4. Controller support

15.4%
  5. Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

36.9%
  6. More modular build to simplify extending

25.1%
  7. UFPS Multiplayer (Asset integration)

11.5%
  8. Core GameKit (Asset integration)

4.1%
  9. Dialogue system (Asset integration)

21.3%
  10. Wordpress integration (Asset integration)

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MrWilson

MrWilson

Holycow did not expect you to actually change anything on your end. That's above and beyond. Thanks for the hotfix as well. You have a customer for any future assets you make.

hopeful likes this.
  2. jorisshh

jorisshh

What was I gonna do, leave one of you guys in the dark, pff.., never :)

On another note,

Finished improving the property system, you can now create properties with a base value (and percentages hold on...), the new editor looks something like this.

But that's not all, when adding a property to an item you can define it's behavior. For example an apple can restore health by setting the action effect to "restore". This will add 30 health to the player, you can also enable "is Factor" which is essentially a percentage ranging from 0....1 ( 0 = 0%, 1 = 100% )

And once more, that's not all... Lastly I've added extra UI utilities that allow you to show stats anywhere on the screen with text, images and sliders, all without any code :)

John-G, julianr, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  3. MrWilson

MrWilson

Must be my birthday, I voted for Better properties for items (percentages, base values etc.). This is great.
    Keep up the good work

4. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

please for the property, it would be really nice if you could at least do two things that are more useful than anything else, -allow user to select what property we display on the tooltip and character window stat
    -have a method to calculate final stats on our player, right now our player can have stats but we cant access it using the method in your tutorial, so its only a"visual" feature and not usable yet

5. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

with ufps integration i have two errors when i start the scene:

NullReferenceException: (null)
    UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/SerializedPropertyBindings.gen.cs:72)
    UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:151)
    UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:144)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryEditorBase.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/Editor/InventoryEditorBase.cs:23)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryItemBaseEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/Editor/InventoryItemBaseEditor.cs:39)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.EquippableInventoryItemEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/Editor/EquippableInventoryItemEditor.cs:23)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.EquippableUFPSInventoryItemEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Integration/UFPS/Editor/EquippableUFPSInventoryItemEditor.cs:22)

then when i try to equip melee weapon in equip slot:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemCollectionBase.get_Item (UInt32 i) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/ItemCollectionBase.cs:189)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.CollectionToCollectionSyncer.OnAddedItem (IEnumerable`1 inventoryItemBases, UInt32 amount, Boolean camefromcollection) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/Other/CollectionToCollectionSyncer.cs:120)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemCollectionBase.NotifyItemAdded (IEnumerable`1 item, UInt32 amount, Boolean cameFromCollection) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/ItemCollectionBase.cs:672)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemCollectionBase.NotifyItemAdded (Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryItemBase item, UInt32 amount, Boolean cameFromCollection) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/ItemCollectionBase.cs:658)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemCollectionBase.SwapSlots (UInt32 fromSlot, Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemCollectionBase toCollection, UInt32 toSlot, Boolean repaint, Boolean fireEvents) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/ItemCollectionBase.cs:1300)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemCollectionBase.SwapOrMerge (UInt32 slot1, Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemCollectionBase handler2, UInt32 slot2, Boolean repaint) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/ItemCollectionBase.cs:1431)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryUIItemWrapper.OnEndDrag (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/UI/UIItemWrappers/InventoryUIItemWrapper.cs:178)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IEndDragHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:80)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IEndDragHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:269)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Edit: fixed by setting the skill bar ( syncro with equipment ) the same size

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  6. jorisshh

jorisshh

The 1st error is a unity editor thing, restarting Unity will solve the problem (it doesn't appear to cause any issues though). The 2nd error is most likely caused by a faulty configuration in the CharacterUI (equipment collection). The container contains all the wrappers, but are most likely not, or not all referenced in the "Manually define collection".

Edit: I've fixed this problem in the next update, so items can no longer get out of sync.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  7. jorisshh

jorisshh

Check and check :) I've made sure the developer has a lot of control over the stats, they're easy to edit + you can use events whenever a stat is updated ^^

8. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

What, you added stat UI! Wow. So much for my having to do that now. You need to raise the price as you have gone well beyond what I originally bought when you first created this!

9. jorisshh

jorisshh

Yeah I probably will increase the price a little again soon :)

Also, testing world UI support & the new animation helpers :D (could use some more color though)

John-G, julianr and hopeful like this.
  10. Jaephen

Jaephen

Okay.. So I've got it to render the character for the Character Window, but the head is invisible, probably because I'm using UFPS.

Any ideas on how to get it to render in the head as well?

11. jorisshh

jorisshh

Make sure that the camera that renders to the RenderTexture also has the layer of the head included. So, select the head of the UFPS character (or the bone that transforms the head) and add it's layer to the camera.

It is possible however that UFPS removes the head from the character all together to avoid artifacts on the fps camera. If that's the case you'd have to ask the UFPS creators :)

12. julianr

julianr

Hi, on the current version ... under web demo its saying the inventory is full, even though its empty - any ideas?

13. jorisshh

jorisshh

In the InventoryPlayer component are there any inventories referenced? If there are no inventories / open slots the system assumes there's no space to store antyhing.

14. julianr

julianr

Are you using the 1st person body, where the head is missing anyway. 3rd person Hero has a full body.

15. julianr

julianr

ahh yeah, cheers. That was it. Thought as it was a demo it would have been pre-defined :)

16. Jaephen

Jaephen

Yes, UFPS hides the head and arms during first person.
    UFPS seems to hide the head and arms using an invisible or transparent material.
    I'm currently trying to figure out how to let the camera for the CharacterWindow forcibly show the arm and head material whilst still have the main camera keep the head and arms invisible.

17. julianr

julianr

You could do an if statement inside the window to make it visible based by searching for it in your hierarchy, sorry I don't know the syntax without looking it up and doing this rough. Give the players head a tag, and then making it visible if its shown in the character window. Otherwise it'll be false elsewhere?

Code (csharp):
    2. var playershead = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Head");
    3.   _playerTransform = playershead.transform;
    4. if (playershead == true) // or if (playershead != null)
    5. _playerTransform.visible = true;
    Something along those lines.

18. julianr

julianr

looking at it further, the UFPS hero has an avatar with no head or arms?

19. Jaephen

Jaephen

The hero avatar does have arms and a head, if you look through the HeroHDWeapons > Body > Mesh, in the inspector, it replaces the head and arms materials with InvisibleShadowCaster.

Do you think it'd be possible to have the separate camera show the 3rd person view only?

Well, if it's going to be difficult to work with, I might just not use it tbh.

20. julianr

julianr

Yes, sorry I see that now. You could give it a go.. as long as its inherited from the same model, else you wouldn't have any link up, and change it in the hierarchy? Or you could have a camera in front of the player under a Layer, and filter everything else out but the player. So you would still get all the animations playing in the character view. Or just add in a new GUI window that shows the player animating in a root pose.

21. Jaephen

Jaephen

Yeah, I think I'll just have another instance of the avatar which will have the camera for the CharacterWindow and have it animate in an idle pose. Seems it's currently my best bet right now.

julianr likes this.
  22. jorisshh

jorisshh

Alrighty then :) just uploaded the new version 2.2 for Unity to review. Recording an upgrade video, as well as re-doing the 1st video tutorial of the getting started series, as it's outdated.

And the changelog:

Features / Refactoring:

* Added Unstack to InventoryItemBase class + Basic item generator cleanup
    * Code cleanup
    * Re-structured entire project
    * OnAdded and OnRemoved events are now fired when using SetItems()
    * Moved all event subscribers to MonoBehaviour.Start() instead of Awake(). This way events won't be fired for Awake initializations ( saving / loading, initial items, etc )
    * Warnings in managers, windows, etc. fields are not assigned.
    * Removed ObjectTriggererHandler, re-factored entire workflow (use setup wizard to upgrade).
    * Updated editors to make text more readable
    * Renamed property's uiColor to color + added warnings for colors with an alpha of 0 in editors.
    * Added support for Undo / Redo in items editor
    * Custom item and collection conditionals ( http://devdog.nl/unity/document/extending-code/custom-collection-add-conditions/ )
    * Moved player specific code to InventoryPlayerManager
    * Better properties + property editor ( percentages, base values, events )
    * UIWindow Notifies for events + delay features for UI
    * Drag accepter clean up
    * Warnings messages for: Vendor, lootable, crafting, InventoryPlayer, item and language databases
    * Added custom conditionals on collection and items ( http://devdog.nl/unity/document/extending-code/custom-collection-add-conditions/ )
    * Added extra managers for separation of concern
    * Added alwaysTriggerGold pickup on collision to settings
    * Converted all image PSD files to JPG / PNG's to keep asset size small.
    * InventoryPLayerRangeHelper now handles the triggerers in range + Triggerers have base class that handles basic elements + Basic controller loot support (needs improvement)
    * Controller support
    * Best triggerable item based on closest / angle to player's forward.
    * Triggerers now share a base class (ObjectTriggererBase)
    * Setup wizard for easy setup.
    * Renamed InfoBox to InfoBoxUI for consistency, InventoryItemInfoRow that is not tied to any UI specific features.
    * Namespaced standard assets to Devdog.InventorySystem.StandardAssets to avoid conflicts with already existing standard assets. + Stripped most of the standard assets, only using the controllers.
    * Settings menu (hide windows on press (escape))
    * Updated MyMonster to handle window
    * Renamed InventoryEditorUtil to InventoryEditorUtility for consistency
    * Draggable windows can now be brought to the foreground / send to the back ( move to foreground on select )
    * UIShowStat to show any stat from any player anywhere on the screen with auto. repaint.
    * Improved UIWindow / pages system
    * Animation and method helpers for the interface, for more control and the ability to add animations / delays.
    * More consistent namespaces

Fixes:

* Fixed UFPS Window counter for already visible windows
    * UFPS unit type items now use stack size instead of a custom unit amount variable.
    * Fixed drag accepter on level load bug. ( The object of type 'InventoryDragAccepter' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it. )
    * Added search for wrappers in item collection editor
    * plyGame events fixes ( null check )
    * ObjectTriggererHandler always fires hover events, even when PickupOnMouseClick is disabled
    * Crafting windows no longer throw an error when no categories are in the scene.
    * Fixed FPS hovering keycode not refreshing
    * InventoryUIUtility event null reference fix
    * Fixed visual item equipment swapping bug (swapping items caused it to appear in both places).
    * Vendor buy back bug fix

julianr and hopeful like this.
  23. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

is it a breaking update ? any precaution to take before update?

24. jorisshh

jorisshh

Oh yeah, some serious re-structuring has been done, be sure to make a backup. I never expected Inventory Pro to grow this quick, so it wasn't really build for scaling all that well. Everything is modular now, limited the dependencies and improved consistency.

Will drop a post here as soon as the upgrade video is up :)

25. Jaephen

Jaephen

Cool update!

How would I get Inventory Pro to work with an avatar created through a character customization screen?

26. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

So I am curious - I already have written a powerful inventory system tightly bound to my use case, but I enjoy browsing the API's of interesting assets that do similar things. The API looks well organized, interface based, etc, a far, FAR cry from the vast majority of garbage on the asset store and in many ways a bit cleaner (although similar) to my approach. When looking through your API, it is clear there is no clean delineation between business layer and presentation layer code. They seem to be inexorably linked together, and clean design IMHO dictates anything referencing the UI should not be present on a game entity, but rather the UI should be externally bound to the underlying business objects. I'm curious why you made this decision?

Note: great asset btw.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  27. jorisshh

jorisshh

The code that's currently live is a bit messy, so I decided to do a big refactoring, which entailed re-doing the entire folder structure, refactoring, cleaning up code, and separating elements of concern.

For example, the UI repaint is initiated through the model, which sends a ViewModel to the view, which repaints it. ( If you'd like to compare it to something I guess MVVM gets the closest ).

I've created modules that handle all the various functionality and separated all the UI from the logics. ( For example, the wrappers contain the UI specific elements like repainting, the *InventoryItem's contain the logic of the item ).

Granted there's still plenty to improve upon to remove dependencies and create a better separation, however "text-book" perfect isn't always the way to go I guess :)

P.S. I'd love to see your implementation, always ready to learn.

TeagansDad likes this.
  28. jorisshh

jorisshh

The player relies on an InventoryPlayer component, which handles the mesh binding (visual item equipment), and also maintains it's inventories. In the currently pending version a RangeHelper is also required, which handles all triggers like items, vendors, banks, etc.

And of course you can set this up from code :), simply add the InventoryPlayer component to the player, which has an extra method to add the RangeHelper ( InventoryPlayer.AddRangeHelper() ). And that's it.

The player will auto. announce itself to the InventoryPlayerManager (which keeps track of the players).

29. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Hi,

does the work well syncing with server for multiplayers or mmo?

thanks

30. jorisshh

jorisshh

If you want an authoritative server ( like an MMO ) it would require a bit of work, but it's all setup using events and easy methods, so it shouldn't be to hard to create :)

But short answer, no there's currently no support for a MMO / (master) server

31. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Thanks for the quick reply :) okay so wasn't the good news I was hoping for. Any chance it is on your roadmap?

32. jorisshh

jorisshh

Maybe although not likely, I'll likely pick up multiplayer support soon (as it's the next most requested), but mmo's use an authoritative system, meaning that when the user loots an item the server has to verify the action (to make sure no one's cheating, as well as broadcast it to other users).

Syncing things like looting without authorization is very, very simple :) but not to practical, as everyone in game could cheat as the items would be managed per client.

I honestly haven't looked enough into Unity's new networking system yet. Glancing at it I have to say it look's quite promising :D

siblingrivalry likes this.
  33. jorisshh

jorisshh

34. jorisshh

jorisshh

Quick question, what would you gents and gentlewoman prefer to see, a dedicated server ( headless server that runs as a separate instance that users can connect to ). Or a host where a single player can start a game and others can connect to it as well ( host is also a client ).

Which do you prefer, and why :)?

Also authoritative or not authoritative, essentially this would mean, does the server validate all actions the user has taken? I think it's almost a bit of a no-brainer but I figured I'd ask anyway.

And lastly, how many players should ideally be supported?

35. TonyLi

TonyLi

If you mean in the context of Inventory Pro, I'd prefer that the server configuration be left to the customer.

In an instanced game like Borderlands, the host would almost certainly be one of the clients.

In an MMO, however, the host server(s) might not even run a Unity build. It would be useful for the server to be able to send and receive serialized inventory data that Inventory Pro could use on the client, whereas the server might be running, say, a suite of non-Unity C++ programs that interface with a SQL database.

Would there be any real advantage to non-authoritative? I think most people would want only authoritative inventory.

jorisshh and siblingrivalry like this.
  36. jorisshh

jorisshh

Can't think of a single reason to use a non-authoritative server but figured I'd ask anyway, you never know what kind of arguments come up. It would be a interesting to connect it to MySQL as well. I'll try out some different approaches, maybe build some prototypes.

Obviously can't put all my time into this, after all The Dialogue system is still in the backlog as well ^^.

37. danreid70

danreid70

Actually, take a look at what MrDude has, using WordPress as the back end. If you tied this front end inventory system into MrDude's WordPress system (which already supports sooooo many server functions including player accounts, timers, data storing, and even ties in to PayPal and other online payment systems)... It'd be a match made in heaven! He's already working on guild systems, online stores, and tons of other cool features. An admin can log onto their games (multiple in fact!) WP website, administer settings - and players can purchase tokens (MyCred WP plugin), view their stats and tons of stuff in the works... Tie that in to this brilliant front end - using WP to store absolutely everything... I honestly think these two systems would sync up and benefit from each other immensely!

And his support is phenominal! His code is so easy to implement, it's almost scary!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  38. jorisshh

jorisshh

Version 2.2 just went live in the asset store

Don't forget to use the new upgrade guide to upgrade safely to the new version

MrWilson and hopeful like this.
  39. Deleted User

Deleted User

I really wanted to like this system and had high hopes for it. Purchased a while back and the upgrading process has been a nightmare. Each time a new release comes out its very difficult to update. The inclusion of the standard assets causes me no end of trouble. I have ended up starting over three times trying to use this system and every update changes radically and has caused me tons of issues. I think this system can be great but I think it's become too heavy for my needs which are pretty minimal and I don't enjoy having to recreate things and fix tons of issues with every upgrade. A lot of assets on the store you simply start a new scene and delete your old asset folder and upgrade. Very simple. I wish this asset worked the same.

40. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

I was looking at using this with either atavism mmo kit or ufps multiplayer.
    Would have been very nice

41. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

atavism already have its own inventory/craft system and ufps multiplayer is already integrated very well with this asset

42. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Ufps is not working with multiplayer from what I see.

43. jorisshh

jorisshh

I'll admit the upgrades have been a little bumpier than I'd like to admit, unfortunately I have no control over the upgrade process what so ever, when I move a single file the entire upgrade process will go to hell.

I've restructured the entire project, creating modules for all the various elements making it as upgradeable as possible, without having to move any files.

Please try following the video tutorial. Future upgrades will be less painful as the basics are now locked in place, are solid, and don't require changing.

44. jorisshh

jorisshh

UFPS Multiplayer is supported, what's not working for you? And warnings, errors?

45. UsefulWeapon

UsefulWeapon

Hi, i have this error after upgrading. What shuold i do?

Assets/Plugins/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonView.cs(55,34): error CS0234: The type or namespace name `MonoBehaviour' does not exist in the namespace `Photon'. Are you missing an assembly reference?

(Filename: Assets/Plugins/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonView.cs Line: 55)

46. jorisshh

jorisshh

Do you already have a copy of Photon somewhere else in your project? The Photon.MonoBehaviour certainly has to exist as most components rely on it. I assume you're using it in combination with UFPS Multiplayer?

47. UsefulWeapon

UsefulWeapon

Yes, i am using UFPS MP too. But i dont have any duplicates of photon files.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  48. jorisshh

jorisshh

Well it appears you're missing some photon files, the error comes from an internal photon class, so your best bet would be to re-import the photon package.

49. Alex3333

Alex3333

Good afternoon. I bought a long time to use your Asset with ufps multieplaeyr. But I can not configure it. And you wrote that it would be the same as the total inventory. That is, the inventory window will be separate from the character window. In the character will be visible to the player himself and outfit like the image below. I use a standard set of other weapons 2 (Hd weapon) from ufps. How do I set it to weapons rose ?. And how do these windows as a separate window to the character was a player. You also wrote that you will do a tutorial on setting up a ufps multieplayer. How to do the same for ufps (screen)

Attached Files:

50. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

I tested the 2.2 and everything is much better, finally the stats calculations works now without changing my code! i still have an editor error on mac when i create an object
    InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    System.Collections.Stack.Peek () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:321)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup ()
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.EndHorizontal ()
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.EndHorizontal () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:6497)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventorySystemEditorCrudBase`1[T].EndSidebar () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/Editor/InventoryEditors/Crud/InventorySystemEditorCrudBase.cs:368)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventorySystemEditorCrudBase`1[T].Draw () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/Editor/InventoryEditors/Crud/InventorySystemEditorCrudBase.cs:85)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.EmptyEditor.Draw () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/Editor/InventoryEditors/EmptyEditor.cs:115)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryMainEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/Editor/InventoryMainEditor.cs:177)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    but it does not prevent it from working.
    on thing is the new "plugin" folder i think it should not be here, you should reupload the package of the asset without it.
    it contain few source code of other asset, if people have this assets they dont need it again, and by default it will makes error if the assets are not present.