Search Unity

Inventory Pro - uGUI - Performance - Mobile support & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, Mar 8, 2015.

?

What should I build next?

1. New currency system

14.1%
  2. Improved serialization / saving for web

10.8%
  3. Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)

27.2%
  4. Controller support

15.4%
  5. Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

36.9%
  6. More modular build to simplify extending

25.1%
  7. UFPS Multiplayer (Asset integration)

11.5%
  8. Core GameKit (Asset integration)

4.1%
  9. Dialogue system (Asset integration)

21.3%
  10. Wordpress integration (Asset integration)

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. twobob

twobob

Like, Like, Like, Like, To save me doing all those clicks :p

LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE :D

jorisshh likes this.
  2. boostybleep

boostybleep

How easy would it be to implement your system using a joypad as a means of input? I havent noticed any mention of the topic.

3. jorisshh

jorisshh

All UI elements use Unity's GUI system, so if you want to control those elements (let's say a list view inventory style) with a joypad it should be no problem, as Unity has this all build in it's system (I've added a demo scene for this).

Further all triggers are customizable and allow you to set your own key triggers or joypad triggers, so this should also work.

I've just tested the system with a xbox controller, it works quite well but isn't perfect. If this is something more people would like to see I'll consider building it in the next development cycle :)

4. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Maybe it will be more practical to use it together with the rewired asset from the store that not only features joypads and such things but also different sets of actions for different parts of the game like the menu for example or in this thread for using the joypad in the inventory in one way but for crafting in another.

5. boostybleep

boostybleep

Thanks for the quick response. Im willing to give your asset a go, consider me sold.

6. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Once you update for UFPS 1.5, please post a note. Thanks

7. boostybleep

boostybleep

Im having a problem with Page 15 of the tutorial, you create a "Container" but you dont say what type of Gameobject the Container is. I am pretty new with Unity so this may be a stupid question.

When I have been able to get something on screen it appears as one empty box which may be correct but im assuming I should see 20 empty boxes as per the initial setting for inventory size.

8. jorisshh

jorisshh

The container is an empty object, which you can create by right clicking in your inspector and choosing Create Empty. It could be that Unity creates the object at the root of your hierarchy, and doesn't add a RectTransform component (which is required for UI elements). So if there's no RectTransform on the newly created object, be sure to add one.

Also when you see only a single image it's quite likely that they're all placed on top of each other, in order to generate the layout you have to add a layout group. Unity has a couple of layout groups build in, which you can find under Add Component/Layout/*

Hope this helps :), let me know if you run into more trouble

9. jorisshh

jorisshh

Will do :)

10. jorisshh

jorisshh

And more great news! Behavior Designer support is under development as well! All credits go to opsive (The creator of Behavior Designer) on this one :)

twobob and Luschie like this.
  11. boostybleep

boostybleep

Ok, so I have an displayable inventory, how do I go about picking something up and putting it there. I have set up the Categories and Items and placed the item in the scene but when I click on the Item, nothing.

12. jorisshh

jorisshh

And there was no way you could have known, because I stupidly forgot a section in the documentation :(

Copied from updated documentation (After page 28)::
    Once the trigger is added to the object we want to be triggerable, we now need to add the global system that looks for triggerable objects.

Object triggerer UI (Optional)
    Object Trigger UI is used to show the triggering, this is useful for first person games, and allows you to show the key trigger required to use / trigger the item being looked at.

Show Object Triggerer
    The ShowObjectTriggerer handles the “looking” for triggers in the world and makes them actually triggerable. The pickup sprite is associated with items while the use sprite is used for things like the bank, a lever, etc.

The behavior can be customized to handle only first person, only 3rd person, or both at the same time.

twobob likes this.
  13. boostybleep

boostybleep

In the Item Editor when changing an icon does it only allow .PSD files ? I can't drag any other type of image. Most of the icons im using are .png or .jpg

14. jorisshh

jorisshh

The icons used are actually sprites, this was chosen to keep optimal performance (Unity combines it into 1 large texture which is a lot faster than individual textures).

So there are essentially 2 way to create icons for your item.

Option 1:
    Throw all your icons into a single file, and use Unity's sprite editor to slice them up into separate icons. (Select a texture, choose Texture Type: Sprite (2D and UI) and make sure you select sprite mode: Multiple, Next click the sprite editor and slice up your texture, note that you can use the auto layout tools to slice out a grid :)).

Option 2:
    Use individual icons and mark them as single sprites, which you can do in the inspector. (Select a texture, choose Texture Type: Sprite (2D and UI) and make sure you select sprite mode: single).

15. jorisshh

jorisshh

plyGame update

I might not have been as active on the forums, but not to worry, I've been working hard on a plyGame integration, new editors for all windows, updating UFPS, fixes, and what not.

Item stats work for both equippable and consumable items, so eating an apple can actually restore health, give exp, whatever :).

Inside the equip editor we've all come to know and love (right..?), you'll get an extra plyGame tab (assuming you have enabled the integration), here you can define which stats you like displayed. Both systems intertwine and work at the same time. So you can actually use the inventory stats at the same time as the plyGame stats :).

But that's not all, the plyGame visual scripting is almost done (will show something soon).
    And of course the plyGame integration is compatible with other integrations like EasySave2 & UFPS :D

So almost done with this development cycle, will (likely) send the update to the asset store at the start of the upcoming week :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  16. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

17. jorisshh

jorisshh

Sounds cool, and remember, if you have something to show, let me know and I'll post it here (and on the super secret website that is about to go live, with tutorials and documentation :))

18. dre788

dre788

I haven't taken a good look at the asset yet but I want to know is there a way to get/set stats and custom properties in the playmaker integration?

19. jorisshh

jorisshh

Stats and properties are controlled by the items that contain them, why exactly would you want to directly modify the values? A use case would be helpful :)

20. dre788

dre788

Well, I suppose I was referring the the base value that an item would modify.

21. charles01

charles01

Hey jorisshh, Will you
    Hey Jorisshh, Will you be doing the same with Core GameKit please ?

danreid70 likes this.
  22. jorisshh

jorisshh

Ah makes sense, this isn't currently possible but I've just put it on my todo list, so I'll certainly look into it. I'll spend the next development cycle on documentation, examples, video's alone, as the documentation is not as advanced as it should be, so it might be a few weeks before this is implemented.

23. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hey Charles,
    I'ts on my list, but since I'm getting a lot of feature requests and don't have a lot of time to write better documentation I've decided to spend the next cycle on documentation alone. After that I'll start looking into new integration possibilities / adding my own.

24. jorisshh

jorisshh

I'm moving the documentation to a live location, as it is much simpler to manage and update.
    Does anyone "require" the documentation to be local?

I'd love to get some input on this, if not I'll just ram it onto the web :)

25. twobob

twobob

meh. I'll live with it.

99thmonkey likes this.
  26. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

is there a way to save as string or Json.net integration yet ?

27. nathantran

nathantran

Hi jorisshh,

I would like to add a feature request.

When adding a large number of items to the Item Editor the list of items can get unseemly long and unorganized. It would be very useful, along with the search functionality that you've added, to have the items grouped according to their respective item type. e.i. grouped under Equipment, Consumable, etc... This could be in the form of a collapsible tree structure.

Thanks for the great asset.

28. jorisshh

jorisshh

Collection serialization is in the upcoming update, so, soon :)

29. jorisshh

jorisshh

I'm drowning in feature requests ^^, but I do like the idea, I'll see what I can come up with.

hopeful likes this.
  30. danreid70

danreid70

My vote (if voting is allowed ;) ) - CoreGameKit integration! :) WUData! web based storage of inventory using Wordpress user accounts! Gotta love it! :) awesome kit here, by the way! Just starting to play with it, very cool!

31. takapi

takapi

I want to store golds(money in game) in the bank.
    Can I ?

32. digiross

digiross

Can the currency be changed to something other than gold? Say credits, chids, tokens, you get my drift.

33. digiross

digiross

Also, would be nice to have the currency flexible say for RPG gold, silver, copper. I'm looking to this for my apocalyptic game and thinking of using resources like metals, food, bullets, water, etc as currency.

34. jorisshh

jorisshh

In fact, it can, all currency's go through an interface for formatting, called the ICurrenyFormatter, by default it's set to gold, but of course you can change it to anything you like. (You can do this by setting a custom formatter, or changing the current formatter) The basic implementation is located in Scripts/Other/BasicInterfaceImplementions/BasicCurrentyFormatter.cs

Gold, silver and copper are - with a little hack - possible, if you simply add 1 for a copper, 100 for a silver and 100000 for gold, and use the formatter to set it the way you like, it's still possible.

Not a perfect solution, I agree, I've had a nicer solution on my list for a while, will look into it once I wrap up this development cycle. Also documentation for things like the currenty formatter are on the roadmap :)

35. hopeful

hopeful

I can see where it would be nice to have something like a currency array, where you can just add another element to the array and poof! you've got another currency type.

I probably wouldn't be using "gold," but rather points of this type or that, which you can cash in for this item or that.

36. boostybleep

boostybleep

Did you get round to fixing the pickup on collision ? My Playmaker workaround isnt really working other than a few tests. I would also like joypad support if possible and enough people ask for it.

37. jorisshh

jorisshh

Collision pickup is fixed, but not live in the asset store just yet. I should be able to push the update soon (within a few days).

38. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

is it possible to have this on the roadmap : using json.net or a string as input output, save load inventory+learned blueprints

39. Alex3333

Alex3333

Good afternoon. Inventory will look with UFPS at the beginning of the video or just will look like in the video later ?. Design is bad for UFPS or a simple example to show the current integration

40. jorisshh

jorisshh

I think I've theorized a nice concept, I could create a new editor, where users can define there own currencies like gold, silver, copper, whatever. And create a conversion table, where the user can define how much 1 gold is worth in silver or copper, etc. This paired with a placeholder for the UI, to allow the user to add his/her own UI layout would probably make this 1 complete system :)

I'll probably do this the next cycle as it is commonly requested.
    Controller support might be pushed to the next cycle, as I really, really have to update the documentation :)

boysenberry and hopeful like this.
  41. jorisshh

jorisshh

The design is fully customizable, and you can tweak it to your own liking. The other UFPS UI design is simply to show, that it's not a static thing and is customizable.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  42. hopeful

hopeful

Sounds great! My emphasis would probably be on having a lot of different currencies, like "candy canes," "stars," achievement points, arcana points, etc. where you can only buy this sort of thing with candy canes, this sort of thing with stars, and so on.

Having a conversion table sounds good too, though I can see where some might want a more complicated situation where you can invoke more than one conversion rate for a currency in the game, kind of like the idea of having one store where things are more costly than at the other store.

43. Alex3333

Alex3333

Make support UFPS Multieplayer! )) . Many will be happy about this ! ))

44. jorisshh

jorisshh

Well this would still be possible, of course items will also be configurable to define with what currency (or multiple currencies) they can be bought. Leaving the store pricing / multipliers intact :)

hopeful likes this.
  45. jorisshh

jorisshh

UFPS Multiplayer is indeed commonly requested, after the next cycle I'll look into it, I have about 5 commonly requested integrations though :p. Core gamekit and the dialogue system are also seem to be quite popular, which aren't easy integrations :). The advantage is that the current UFPS integration should - emphasis on should - in theory work almost completely as I didn't do much crazy coding ninja stuff, so I'll likely pick this one up soon.

46. blackpanther

blackpanther

How hard would this be to integrate into NGUI?

47. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

Multiplayer support is what I'm looking for mostly, then you definitely have my purchase!

I was also wondering, with a login system like uLogin and hooking the player up to that, how easy/difficult do you think it would be to have something like EasySave save your inventory to the player via a MySQL Database?

48. GreenCubeGames

GreenCubeGames

Can u do somenthing like, craft a chest and put on map ingame?

49. jorisshh

jorisshh

In theory quite simple, in theory though :). Almost all UI specific code is separated from uGUI so it's easily replacable. Although I'm not sure if there's need for NGUI at the moment, I expect uGUI to continue growing and become more optimized as it goes along.

50. jorisshh

jorisshh

I don't think either of those are very difficult, I'll look into the EasySave2 MySQL saving. Multiplayer support is indeed commonly requested, so I'll put some priority on it.

boysenberry likes this.