Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Inventory Pro - uGUI - Performance - Mobile support & More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jorisshh, Mar 8, 2015.

?

What should I build next?

1. New currency system

14.1%
  2. Improved serialization / saving for web

10.8%
  3. Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)

27.2%
  4. Controller support

15.4%
  5. Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)

36.9%
  6. More modular build to simplify extending

25.1%
  7. UFPS Multiplayer (Asset integration)

11.5%
  8. Core GameKit (Asset integration)

4.1%
  9. Dialogue system (Asset integration)

21.3%
  10. Wordpress integration (Asset integration)

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tetra

Tetra

I have a question. I keep getting an error when I try to add my prefabs to my scene so that the player can pick up items. It says "Note that the item you're editing is not in this scene's database." Is there a way to fix this issue? I've tried remaking the database and recreating all of the Inventory Pro assets in the scene but it still hasn't fixed this issue.

Also, when play testing, I get this error:
    NullReferenceException: (null)
    UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/SerializedPropertyBindings.gen.cs:72)
    UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:149)
    UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:142)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryEditorBase.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/Editor/InventoryEditorBase.cs:22)
    Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryItemBaseEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/Editor/InventoryItemBaseEditor.cs:40)

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  2. kilik128

kilik128

now see stat on character but not on itembox
    and look lost item after unequip

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryPlayer.<Awake>m__C0 (IEnumerable`1 items, UInt32 amount, Boolean collection) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/Other/InventoryPlayer.cs:68)

Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemCollectionBase.NotifyItemAdded (IEnumerable`1 item, UInt32 amount, Boolean cameFromCollection) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/ItemCollectionBase.cs:647)

Devdog.InventorySystem.ItemCollectionBase.NotifyItemAdded (Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryItemBase item, UInt32 amount, Boolean cameFromCollection) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/ItemCollectionBase.cs:633)

Devdog.InventorySystem.EquippableInventoryItem.Equip (Devdog.InventorySystem.Models.InventoryEquippableField equipSlot, Devdog.InventorySystem.CharacterUI equipTo) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/EquippableInventoryItem.cs:263)

Devdog.InventorySystem.EquippableInventoryItem.Use () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/EquippableInventoryItem.cs:194)

Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryUIItemWrapper.TriggerUse () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/UI/UIItemWrappers/InventoryUIItemWrapper.cs:410)

Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryUIItemWrapper.OnPointerDown (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/UI/UIItemWrappers/InventoryUIItemWrapper.cs:230)

UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerDownHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:38)

UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerDownHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/EventSystem/ExecuteEvents.cs:269)

UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

3. jorisshh

jorisshh

Fixed in V2.1.3, so be sure to update :)
    The error is a Unity internal editor thing, a quick restart of the editor should solve your problems.

4. Dan_lala

Dan_lala

Just tried the webplayer demo and got lots of glitches/artifacts... it kind of turned me off even though the system seems very nice :) Usually I don't have this problem with unity assets, do you know what could cause this, i.e. does the sample scene have special graphic requirements?

screen1.png

screen2.png

5. kilik128

kilik128

always remember keep the lowest space memory build apk size is limited to 50 mega

6. jorisshh

jorisshh

Woh, that certainly shouldn't happen :/. I'm assuming you have the latest version of the Unity player, latest graphics drivers, and updated Mono (if you're on a mac or linux?).

Could you also test in another browser? If the problem persists, I'll restore the old demo.

7. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson

Doing it from OnEnable. I'll move it to the next frame.

I'm dropping an item to the ground when an enemy dies, so the player can pick it up as loot.
    here's the code:
    Code (CSharp):
    2.         InventoryItemBase item = ItemManager.instance.GetItemByName(itemId);
    3.         if(item != null) {
    4.             InventoryItemBase dropItem = Instantiate<InventoryItemBase>(item);
    5.             dropItem.currentStackSize = (uint)quantity;
    6.             GameObject drop = dropItem.Drop (pos.position);
    7.             if(drop != null) {
    8.                 Rigidbody body = drop.GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
    9.                 if(body != null) {
    10.                     body.velocity = new Vector3(Random.Range(-2, 2), 5, Random.Range(-2, 2));
    11.                 }
    12.             }
    13.         }
    Also a couple other things:

1) the bug where a consumable item is used up (via skill bar) while the inventory is hidden still occurs (the inventory shows the consumable as still being there, but that icon can't be interacted with. Moving another item onto that space erases the incorrect icon / count)

2) Your window show/hide animations are not pause friendly. I tried to add a simple extension to pause the game in the OnShow and OnHide methods, and found that the game pauses with the alpha tweens only just beginning. This is an easy fix - just change the Animator components Update Mode to "Unscaled Time" for your windows. It's generally a good idea for UI to ignore timescale.

*Edit*
    Also, a feature request: Some way to quickly see and edit the prices of all items. Exporting / importing to a format that I can put in a google spreadsheet would be awesome, but really just anything I can use to quickly and easily deal with pricing balance adjustment would be great.

*Edit2*
    UIWindow's hide coroutine also needs to ignore timescale. see http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/301868/yield-waitforseconds-outside-of-timescale.html for an example how to do this.

*Edit3*
    Category cooldowns persist across level load. Pretty sure this is caused by some sort of static pointer, though I am using EasySave2.

In my project, I can wait several seconds, use an item, reload the level, then get a "Item {0} is in cooldown {2} more seconds", where the time is the number of seconds I waited before using the item in the first time loading the game. debugging reveals that the category.lastUsageTime time is greater than the current Time.timeSinceLevelLoad.

*Edit4*
    EasySave2 doesn't persist money amount, only things that are in inventory slots as far as I can tell.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  8. Conan-Morris

Conan-Morris

@jorisshh

I was wondering if you had anything build in already to unlock the mouse cursor when an inventory screen is open. I can make it work if not, but would be nice if this was already a feature.

9. jorisshh

jorisshh

There is a UFPS specific implementation, but not really for UFPS behavior, however you can very easily recycle the UFPS's system.
    Have a look at: Scripts/Integration/UFPS/UIWindow.cs & InventoryUFPSInputController (Start method)

10. jorisshh

jorisshh

It appears the repaint is done before the item removal, hence the delayed repaint and the image being shown even though none are left, fixed in the upcoming release :)

I'm starting on the new currency system soon, I'll look into possibilities while I'm at it.

Added in upcoming release

A bit of a tough case, some might want to persists the cooldowns over level load, assume you go into a dungeon and have a buff given by an item? I'll look into it, see if I can come up with a nice solution.

In order for easy save to save things like gold you have to add "_gold" as an additional field. As I said before, I'll be changing the currency system, as well as the serialization system, at that point I'll also refactor EasySave2.

hopeful likes this.
  11. Dan_lala

Dan_lala

The problem occured on mac osx 10.8 with latest unity and mono, tested in firefox and safari. My unsophisticated guess would be an opengl3.2+/ dx11 shader as 10.8 only has opengl3.2 support?

12. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson

I think you misunderstand, here's an in depth example of what I mean:

Load a level and play around for 5 minutes (or just leave it sitting)
    use an item.
    load another level (or reload that level)
    try to use the item. You'll see a message that the item will be in cooldown for 300 seconds.

From that point on, you'll never be able to use that item in the first 300 seconds of being in a level.

I can definitely see a case where cooldowns should persist across load, but even in that case this would still be bugged.
    Further, in the current implementation cooldowns aren't saved, only persisted as long as the game isn't closed.

hopeful likes this.
  13. jorisshh

jorisshh

Ah got it, I did indeed misunderstood, I'm on it, will fix in the upcoming update :)

14. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson

Is there a built in way to make esc close all windows (aside from skill bar)?

I'd like to have the first press of escape hide any showing windows that block ufps, and the second press (or first if no windows are showing) show my menu. I'm thinking about building it myself, but having a general close all windows on key press feature seems like something you might have already put in, though the closest I can find is the UFPS Input Manager's function to do that on mouse press

boysenberry likes this.
  15. jorisshh

jorisshh

Not directly build in yet, but quite simple to create :). Let me know if you need some help creating this, and of course if you're in a sharing mood, let me know, and I might add it to the asset (Credit is of course given where credit is due)

16. jorisshh

jorisshh

I've added a demo monster script that shows item dropping / looting + some nav meshing, you can kill the monster by clicking, it also uses the player stats and grabs the player's strength to define how much damage is dealt :)

Will be available in the upcoming release.

ChrisSch likes this.
  17. jorisshh

jorisshh

And... because I couldn't help myself, I figured I might as well add this:

ChrisSch likes this.
  18. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Nice! Great asset! I think this is the first non 3D model asset we're using, so its a bit confusing to me. xD

But there's no rush so I'm just waiting and following through the video tutorials. Do you think you'll make a video tutorial of a simple example on how to interact with other scripts? For example eating apple restores health in a custom script. Not sure but does that update with the monster show interactions like that maybe?

Also I updated so I can follow the video tutorials but I'm getting this error:

Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/Editor/Windows/IntegrationHelperEditor.cs(9,18): error CS0101: The namespace `Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors' already contains a definition for `IntegrationHelperEditor'

I'm new to using other peoples script and extension assets so I don't wanna mess something up. I thought maybe its cause I'm using U5.0.1 so I updated it, but the error is still there. The only thing I didn't import when I updated the asset is the ItemDatabase.asset. Is that it? If I update will my own item database remain? I thought I'd ask before trying to fix it myself, and messing something up.

Thanks again for the great asset! :D

19. jorisshh

jorisshh

I've refactored some code here and there and restructured it, in other words I moved a file, unity doesn't realize that, reimports the new file at a new location, leaving both files intact. So you now have the same script 2 times in your project, which conflicts.

So to solve this, go to your project panel and search or "IntegrationHelperEditor", this should show you 2 files:
    Remove the file that's not in Scripts/Other/Editor/Windows/

And that should do the trick :)

Oh and the new version (the one you just downloaded) works with 2D as well ^^

And about the tutorials, Yep I'll create more in the near future, the using of items to restore health is going to get refactored a little, as I want to improve the current item properties (adding properties to the player stats + base values + percentage values, etc), to allow the user to create this sort of thing without a line of code, so making a tutorial on it now won't do much good :)

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    ChrisSch likes this.
  20. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Nice! Thanks, that did the trick. I thought there must be a duplicate but didn't know which one is it. That fixed it, but I can't pick anything up now. Any idea whats the problem? I'm comparing to the example scenes (which work) but I can't see whats missing.

EDIT: Opening a bank works though.

EDIT 2: New items don't work either. So I'm guessing its not the items fault. I'll continue checking if something is missing from my scene since the update.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  21. jorisshh

jorisshh

Newly created items don't get a 3D collider because of the added workflow, I've added some detection for figuring out if the created object is 2D or 3D and to add the appropriate collider. However it isn't in v2.1.3 yet, so if you're not using drop objects, you have to manually add a collider :) (and a rigidbody if you want one)

Also if you can't pick up any objects in your own scene make sure you've got the ShowObjectTriggerer script in your scene, it handles the pickup process.

22. jorisshh

jorisshh

Little update on creatures

A few posts back I created a monster info box thingy, I figured it would be something almost anyone could use, so I decided to upgrade it a little :)

Simply pop an CreatureInfo object on any triggerer (vendors, banks, treasure chests, crafting, etc), and the system will auto detect.....

.... and display it ^^

ChrisSch likes this.
  23. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Nice update!

Unfortunately I'm still having problems with my scene. xD
    Its not the items or colliders. I already customized the items to my liking, added colliders and rigidbodies where I want them and all that. And I do have that "ShowObjectTriggerer" there as well, attached to the _Managers gameobject as you specified in one of the tutorials. The item can be picked up when I throw it in a demo scene though. Any ideas what else could I be missing?

PS. I stuck with the tutorials to the letter, and it worked before updating to continue with the new tutorials.

24. jorisshh

jorisshh

Hm.. please check if you've added the InventoryPlayer component to your player (it's no longer assigned in the settings), also check if all references are set in your managers.

If this still doesn't solve the problem, you could zip up your project and send it to me, and I'll have a look at it :)

25. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Yup everything is there, it worked before I updated, so I don't know why it's not working now. With my upload speed it'll be faster to redo it, so I'll watch the tutorials from start and check that way, and if that doesn't work then I'll redo it all. :)

26. jorisshh

jorisshh

The last possible thing I can think of, did you check http://devdog.nl/unity/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15 ? I also posted this on the unity forums a while back. If the player has no inventories it will fail, perhaps that's it?

ChrisSch likes this.
  27. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Thanks! That was it. Guess I'll keep an eye on that page for future changes. :)

I'm trying to add a chest for looting now. Actually a blueberry bush to "loot" berries, and have them regrow after a while, but I'm getting some errors. But I won't bother you with that until I've exhausted all options. :D

Thanks again!

28. jorisshh

jorisshh

Glad it's fixed :), And I'm here to help when you need me ^^. Also, I've refactored the treasure chest in the upcoming release, the treasure chest still exists and is backward compatible, but now inherits from LootableObject, so making something like a lootable bush is (in the upcoming update) a piece of cake :) (Just a heads up in case your throwing hours of work at this)

ChrisSch likes this.
  29. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Ok. No I'm not throwing hours of work at this. The biggest pain was setting up all the UI panels actually, the rest went fast in comparison. I'm mostly just exploring/learning/experimenting with the inventory system in the direction we wanna take the game, but nothing serious yet. Like I said I never really used anyone else's code (at least not as complex and big as yours), nor did I make anything as complex as this, so I'm not quite sure how things work. :D

30. jorisshh

jorisshh

Worldspace UI is now also supported, and best of all you can mix it with screen space UI :)

Oh and on another note, UFPS multiplayer is almost done as well :)

hopeful, boysenberry and ChrisSch like this.
  31. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Ok got looting set up in my scene too. But I have a question. Is there an option to generate a random number (in range) of specific item or items? Like a combination of the array, and "Generate Items.

Checking "Generate items" generates all of the items in the database, in the range specified, but not checking it generates specific items in the "Items" array, in that exact amount. Am I missing something there, or do I have to do it by extending the code somehow? :)

32. kilik128

kilik128

borderland style :) cool ! please say me when vendor as fix

33. jorisshh

jorisshh

The items array actually allows you to create a static set of items, when generate items is enabled, the items array is ignored, as items are actually generated at runtime.

Items are generated using the BasicItemGenerator class, using the SetItems() method you can set the items used to generate a random set of items. So for example:

Code (CSharp):
    2. var generator = new BasicItemGenerator();
    3. generator.SetItems(ItemManager.instance.items); // Sets all of the items to be considered when generating items
    4. generator.Generate(4); // Generate an array of 4 items
    So if you want to generate items based on a custom filter, you can either feed the generator the specific array that is already filtered. Or write a custom IItemGenerator implementation (have a peek here http://devdog.nl/unity/document/extending-code/custom-item-generator/ ), but before you write your own generator, have a peek at the BasicItemGenerator's filters, there are quite a few :)

34. jorisshh

jorisshh

Almost done with all bug fixes, including vendor fixes :)

boysenberry likes this.
  35. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Yup I thought so. I decided to go with making my own script and array (since I wanna control respawning loot too), and feed the treasure chest with it's items, but I don't understand how to access the items, and treasure chest component.

I looked at the tutorials and BasicItemGenerator but having made only a few simple games, I'm not much of a programmer yet, and don't understand quite a few advanced things. Didn't even use a "partial class" yet, for example. xD

36. kilik128

kilik128

ok now you can start talent tree :rolleyes:

37. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson

Would you mind posting or PMing info on how to fix the cooldown and used up item bugs I posted earlier? I need to have a presentable build in the next couple of days, and those wind up being pretty visible (and the cooldown bug is somewhat game breaking).

*Edit*
    Also, a general performance tip - when comparing distance between two vectors, especially if it's something that will be called frequently, compare the square magnitude rather than the actual magnitude. so instead of Vector3.Distance() < value, use Vector3.SqrMagnitude < value*value.

Not significant for something that gets called once or twice a second, but if you're doing hundreds / thousands of distance compares per frame it can make a significant difference.

I only say this because I noticed ObjectTriggererChecker has a while loop that iterates through all the object triggerers and calls the inRange check.

*EDIT 2*
    had a skype convo with Joris and came up with temporary resolutions to my issues. Going to post them up here in case anyone else runs into it.

The inventory used up item bug was caused by decrementing currentStackSize outside the Use() function. for now I've added the below to InventoryUI.Awake() to fix it, but Joris is going to move the repainting code to NotifyItemUsed which should properly fix the bug

Code (CSharp):
    2.             GetComponent<UIWindow>().OnShow += () =>
    3.             {
    4.                 foreach(InventoryUIItemWrapperBase item in items) {
    5.                     item.Repaint();
    6.                 }
    7.             };
    The second bug with item cooldowns was taken care of by adding the below to ItemManager.Awake(). I believe this is already fixed properly in the next update

Code (CSharp):
    2.             foreach (InventoryItemCategory cat in itemCategories) {
    3.                 cat.lastUsageTime = 0;
    4.             }

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  38. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson

the partial class bit isn't that important. Here's what you need to do to make a custom item generator:

Copy BasicItemGenerator into a new file, and rename it (the file name and class name should match)

Look at your new class's Generate() function. It may look a little intimidating since it's long, but each if statement is just checking different requirements (like minimum level, or if the vendor only carries a certain category).

Here's a much simpler Generate() function from my project:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public InventoryItemBase[] Generate(int minAmount, int maxAmount)
    2.     {
    3.         List<InventoryItemBase> toReturn = new List<InventoryItemBase>(maxAmount);
    5.         // Get all items defined in my database
    6.         InventoryItemBase[] allItems = ItemManager.instance.itemDatabase.items;
    8.         // Iterate through each item
    9.         foreach(InventoryItemBase item in allItems) {
    10.             // Check if enough time has passed in game to sell that item
    11.             if(item.requiredLevel > Global.I.TimeOfDay.DaysSinceStart) {
    12.                 continue;
    13.             }
    15.             // Check against item probabilities (each item has a x% chance of appearing in each vendor)
    16.             if(Random.Range(0.0f, 1.0f) >= item.VendorAppearance) {
    17.                 continue;
    18.             }
    20.             // Using the item, add it to the result array
    21.             toReturn.Add(item);
    22.         }
    24.         result = toReturn.ToArray();
    25.         return result;
    26.     }
    Basically, this gets all my items, iterates through to check against time progression and appearance probabilities, and returns an array of all the items the vendor will carry.

To use that with a vendor, I just overrode the normal VendorTriggerer. (VendorItemGenerator is just BasicItemGenerator with the above Generate() function replacing the BasicItemGenerator's function.)
    Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using Devdog.InventorySystem;
    5. public class GameVendor : VendorTriggerer {
    7.     public override void CreateGenerator () {
    9.         var generator = new VendorItemGenerator();
    10.         itemGenerator = generator;
    12.         if(generateItems)
    13.             forSale = itemGenerator.Generate(generateItemsCount);
    14.     }
    15. }

ChrisSch likes this.
  39. jorisshh

jorisshh

A heads up

To anyone interested in buying Inventory Pro, this Friday it will go on a 24 hour sale, so you might want to hold of a little longer :)

Mark Henderson and boysenberry like this.
  40. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson

Minor little annoyance I just ran across:

I'm going through an item database and modifying the price of several items which each cost 100 - 999.
    Every time I start to re-write the buy price, I input one digit, then the cursor loses focus on the input field and a "Buy price is lower than the sell price, are you sure?" warning comes up.

I like the warning, but it needs to not cause focus loss, or at least wait until I'm done inputting rather than showing up right after I start typing.

*Edit*
    Another thing: If your inventory is full and you have an objectTriggerer on the ground (set to pick up on touch) you get a spam of "inventory is full" messages and sounds when you're touching it. Ideally, it should only show the message / play the sound when the collision starts, not every frame it is colliding.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  41. Azmar

Azmar

Just checking in because I saw this asset going on a 24hr sale and still interested in buying it! Are these features this on track for being implemented in the future?

Thanks!

42. jorisshh

jorisshh

What I'm working on right now / future plans:
    • New currency system
    • Improved serialization / saving for web
    • Better properties for items (percentages, base values, etc)
    • UFPS Multiplayer
    • Unity 5.1 networking (multiplayer)
    • WorldUI demo's
    • More modular build to simplify extending
    • Core GameKit
    • Dialogue system
    • Wordpress

Note that these are only concepts not rock solid plans, so the list might change a little here and there

43. jorisshh

jorisshh

Got it thanks for the heads up, consider it fixed in the upcoming release :)

44. jorisshh

jorisshh

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    boysenberry likes this.
  45. matteo-piccioni

matteo-piccioni

Hello,
    your asset is usable for 2D games ?
    In my case the game is a 2d platform where the player can collect and use items into inventory
    Thanks

46. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

you can make it work with any kind of games, its only UI dependant. i just integrated into an UFPS project, took me 5 minutes to setup now its all running smoothly. the integration is really nice!

jorisshh and 99thmonkey like this.
  47. SAOTA

SAOTA

Ahhhh yes. Got it. So excited to integrate this.

48. boysenberry

boysenberry

Congrats on getting on the homepage! You deserve it. I hope you find yourself in buckets of money. With a larger user base hopefully you'll find other assets working to make themselves compatible with you, so you can focus more on making the inventory system be all it can be and not have to learn other assets so much.
    Again, amazing work, keep it up, I certainly appreciate it!

jorisshh and hopeful like this.
  49. Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson

jorisshh likes this.
  50. Azmar

Azmar

One last check,

"Multi character support" that was on your list of features to implement,
    is it still on your list to implement?